Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Re: GM Closing Plants

Curious - What does GM make now that is selling like crazy?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,612 Times in 2,155 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Financing!.

~ Pete
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Had they built a hybrid Cobalt..
Old 06-04-2008, 10:28 PM

It was pointed out in an earlier post that the Orion plant is going three shifts for the G6 and Malibu. People will still be buying vehicles, just smaller, more fuel efficient ones. Plants can't switch building product as quickly as these new gas prices came upon us. I think that pretty well everyone old enough to be pensioned off is gone already. I know guys in their early fifties taking the buyout and going. Not many in a good enough financial state to leave at that age. Most still have kids in school and a mortgage. It appears that GM of Canada signed a new agreement with the CAW two weeks ago knowing full well that they had no intention of honouring it. It's going to be interesting.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:38 AM

Just a little history of the Oshawa truck plant for those who might be interested. When I started my apprenticeship in the fall of '65, the truck plant had just opened. The trucks had been built in the old uptown West Plant for many years before that. The up town bodyshop continued to build the cabs and boxes for another year and these were trucked by van to the new truck plant for final assembly. For the '67 production year, everything was done in the new plant. The old gate line bodyshop system was used up until 1986, when the plant was gutted and setup for AGVs and robots for the GMT400 truck. We had this plant up and running by January-Fabruary 1987 with saleable 1988 trucks coming off the line. There were a lot of upgrades to the equipment over the years since, with many bodyshop changes for the GMT800 truck, but the methods have stayed more or less the same. In 1993 they went to a third shift producing something like 1335 trucks a day. The old north and west plants are gone, including the power house and twin smoke stacks. The battery plant next door was torn down a couple of years ago. Now the truck plant. There's going to be a lot of green space in Oshawa before we are done.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:50 PM

if they didnt destroy all the tooling, they should make the little Geo Metro again, they were cheap and good cars,

car got great milage and just went every day without hassle, I am sure if they FI'd the motor it would do even better...that would keep these people working and consumers would buy them like hotcakes, I would take a new one today.

we have 2 in the family and the guys are knocking down hi 50's mpg around town..
Old 06-05-2008, 08:32 PM

I saw a clip on CNN or somewhere where the Geo Metros are commanding prices near their original sticker prices on the used car market, and there are actually folks buying them up cheap, fixing them, and reselling them for big profits. 50+ mpg...and remember the article posted here about the '69(?) 4-cylinder Nova that was getting like 40+ mpg? I'm not sure the auto manufacturers have really came that far in all these years...

Anyway, a good friend of mine had a Metro in high school & college...he drove the wheels off that thing, but the 3 cylinder sipped the gas...I remember he got a ticket one time on the way home from college, and the highway patrol said he clocked him @ like 75 down a long hill, and my friend told the guy he was thankful for the ticket as he was gonna go show it off to all his friends who thought his POS car couldn't break the speed limit! I still give him crap about that car, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't try and buy it from him if he still had it!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:00 PM

We had a '90 turbo sprint. It was also had port injection. Never an engine problem in close to 200K miles. Everyone who ever rode in the car was always surprised at the performance. 53-58 mpg (Imperial). Other than sparkplugs and an exhaust gasket, the engine never had a wrench put on it. I'd buy another one. My ego isn't that big.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We had a '90 turbo sprint. ... I'd buy another one. My ego isn't that big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a true man would admit that!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 PM

Im going to buy a Vespa.