Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 10-28-2015, 05:25 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 71 Baldwin Motion Camaro

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What tach does the paperwork say? </div></div>

I have been fortunate to personally own 5 different BM cars over the years (including this particular car at one time) plus have seen paperwork for some others and I don't recall any paperwork calling out any particular parts to that level of detail.

For instance the invoice might say &quot;Phase III Ignition&quot; or &quot;headers&quot; which would not call out any particular components, part numbers, or brand names. In addition, Motion typically took off the shelf speed parts and rebranded them such as Mallory ignition components, cure ride shocks, Lakewood traction bars, and others calling them by another name and in some cases putting a new decal on them, so unless the car is an untouched original with vintage photos, the best you can do is use correct speed parts from the era that would have been typical of a BM build.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:59 PM

Thanked 1,627 Times in 482 Posts

I am curious if the car has a 10 bolt rear or a 12 bolt and what gear ratio does it have?

I believe you can only get a 10 bolt in 1971 Camaros

looking at the 1971 Camaro specs the SS396 highest gear was 3:42 but the Z/28 still had 3:73 and 4:10 listed all were 10 bolts
Old 10-28-2015, 04:09 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am curious if the car has a 10 bolt rear or a 12 bolt and what gear ratio does it have?

I believe you can only get a 10 bolt in 1971 Camaros

looking at the 1971 Camaro specs the SS396 highest gear was 3:42 but the Z/28 still had 3:73 and 4:10 listed all were 10 bolts

</div></div>

Joe, this car has a 10 bolt rear end. I don't know what the ratio is, but I'll check when I pull the diff cover to change the gear oil. It's possible that Joel's crew may have changed the gears when they did the conversion.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:15 PM

Joe, as I hit send on my last comment, I remembered that there were some details about the options in a letter from the original owner (the Dentist). He says Motion installed 4:10 rear gears in the car.

I do have quite a bit of paperwork that came with this car, but haven't gone through and tried to organize it all yet.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 11-08-2016, 12:07 AM

I'm excited to be bringing this car to MCACN in 2 weeks. I hope to meet some of you at the show.

*** Also, I am VERY interested in learning any details about the car than anyone, especially previous owners may be able to share. I'm also trying to fill in some gaps in the ownership history. I have a good bit of information, but could sure use ownership dates and copies of titles, if available. I will have all of my documentation at the show, including letters of authenticity from Joel Rosen.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:32 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Great Car.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:26 PM

Perfect in every way... I am partial to the forest green car with side pipes but everything about this is on point
Old 11-10-2016, 04:02 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 662 Posts

Day 2 Perfection. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
John 10:30
Old 11-16-2016, 10:58 AM

Hello Mark I see everyone is still interested in our cars Joseph Mason
Old 01-10-2017, 11:15 PM

I have a friend from Lititz/ Manheim PA that owned this car for a few years in the very early 80's. He's the one that actually bought the car From Car Village after seeing the Article in Hot Rod Magazine. He Had Turquoise 70 LS6 Chevelle that he traded in on it .He was probably only about 18 at the time, So needless to say he got in a lot a trouble with the car and ended up loosing his drivers license. After that he ended up with a High Dollar custom Dodge Van.I kinda remember hearing that he traded the Camaro back in on the van probably 1982 or so ? but im not sure ? he told me a couple years ago that being the car was in his fathers name,that he would still get phone calls once in a while. when the car would be up for sale or people were trying to document prior ownership. when he had the car he put Cragar SST's on it, And I believe he's the one that put the Sun tach in it ?