Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 09-30-2022, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I'm sure the full extent of the destruction won't be fully assessed for a couple more days, but there will be thousands of homes that are uninhabitable for an extended time. Unimaginable to see where they will be housed, when the entire peninsula has been so devastated.

And the destruction continues. It would have been so much better for Ian to stay inland and weaken. Now that it has gained fuel from the Atlantic, Georgia, So Carolina and areas inland from them will be hit harder and deal with storm surge as well.

We have a 3 week reservation to a VRBO on Pine Island in Feb. Pine Island was the second barrier island to take a direct hit. It was an apartment on the ground floor of a 2 level, flood zone, home. Any damage to property and updates built on the ground usually isn't covered by insurance, so we aren't expecting the flood damage to be repaired by February. I told my wife that IF they are able to recover and make it safe, we could go down and volunteer to help with lingering cleanup.

The bridge to Pine Island is down at Matlacha, haven’t seen any estimate yet of a date to have it open. With the massive amount of work to be completed it could be a year?? Obviously, accesses to Sanibel and Pine Island will be a priority and fast track, but things only go so fast.

My sister has a place that was damaged in Englewood, her insurance company told her today that repairs could be two years out.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:56 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern B View Post
The bridge to Pine Island is down at Matlacha, haven’t seen any estimate yet of a date to have it open. With the massive amount of work to be completed it could be a year?? Obviously, accesses to Sanibel and Pine Island will be a priority and fast track, but things only go so fast.

My sister has a place that was damaged in Englewood, her insurance company told her today that repairs could be two years out.

Yep, I just read that a bit ago myself. Sad for all the people along that coast. Was just watching a drone video of Fort Meyers Beach and it's horrific. The still pics were bad enough, but a video of the carnage is sickening.
Sorry to hear about your sister's place. I can imagine it will be a very long time to get enough materials and labor down there to rebuild everything that was destroyed.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 09-30-2022, 04:08 PM

Thanked 1,382 Times in 671 Posts

Good morning everyone. Honestly, not sure what to say except that we're good, but as you've seen, our area/state, is not. The devastation is real, and a lot of people have lost everything, some have lost a lot, and some have lost their lives. I've lived in Naples and SWFL for almost 25 years now and the storm surge has been the worst by a mile. A friend owns a classic video game store that was on Bonita Beach Road, just north of Naples and his entire store was underwater and he lost everything. I know people will state that insurance will cover a lot of it, but there is a lot more lost than just things that will be paid for by insurance. I thank Jesus that our family and most of Naples is pretty well at this point, but we also ask for His Blessings that those who have been affected by this storm are restored. Below are some pics you may have seen already, but I wanted to share. Also, I'm on Facebook if you want to connect (Mark Jackson) where I've shared some more pictures posted by others.
Attached Images

John 10:30
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to markinnaples For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (10-01-2022), Billohio (10-01-2022), dustinm (09-30-2022), John (10-03-2022), olredalert (09-30-2022), PeteLeathersac (09-30-2022), Too Many Projects (09-30-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 04:10 PM

Thanked 1,382 Times in 671 Posts

A few more pics
Attached Images

John 10:30
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to markinnaples For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (10-01-2022), Lee Stewart (09-30-2022), PeteLeathersac (09-30-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 04:32 PM

Thanked 136,488 Times in 22,778 Posts

Photo of Tampa Bay right before the storm surge. TB is a shallow bay. That's why the water receded before the surge. The same thing happens when a Tsunami hits.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (10-01-2022), dustinm (09-30-2022), olredalert (09-30-2022), PeteLeathersac (09-30-2022)