Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Nickey Chevrolet & Bill Thomas Performance

Old 10-07-2005, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Nickey Building Demolished

I think your right, but I remeber him saying right down the street, Ill have to ask him about that later.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:46 AM

It would make sense...Elk Grove had to be sticks back then
Old 10-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Pics I found on the net showing the building earlier this year, before it was demolished to make way for condos. It housed Comcast Cable.
1984 Camaro z/28 zz4 conversion
1987 Monte Carlo SS original owner
Old 10-07-2005, 05:52 PM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 749 Posts

Riverview....what memories. A longtime friend lives by where Riverview was, I believe it is called Riverview shopping center now.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:11 PM

The local paper did a story when Skips was demolished and I sent the article to Hot Rod magazine and they published it. Sorry I don't remember the year. I wouldn't even know where to start looking for the magazine I saved. I got my name in the story too!

[ QUOTE ]
...or when Skips Drive In was demolished.....hey I would love to see some old pics of Skips ..any of you guys got any ???

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-08-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And here I thought Hoskins was in Elk Grove forever !

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my Marina Blue SS L79 car from Hoskins back in April of 66........(19 years old and I knew everything)
Put a set of Headers on and borrowed a set of slicks....went to the Grove and ran a best of 13.12....back then a 12 sec street car was really something......so close.....at this time I had recently married and was an apprentice Tool &amp; Die Maker.......so the next logical thing was to make the car faster, so instead of paying the rent and buying comfort items......I did the logical thing and went to E&amp;R on Belmont and Racine??? and had them go thru the short block, bored .030, balanced, Sig Erson Cam and do a three angle valve job to the heads......I also bought a "Rubber Drive" pressure plate from them.......anyone remember that hot item......reworked the trans to "Crash Box" standards.....4:88's........crossram....etc
Went out to the track and ran a best of 11.78......went to the Grove on weekends and U.S. 30 on Wednesday nights.....there used to be a lot of Street Racing down on Clybourn and Armitage on Friday and Saturday Nights........anyhow after racing in the same class as Tony Christian with his 57 Chevy( he was running 11.50's).....I took off the crossram and put on a holley 3 Barrel set-up I got from Bill Bretz (anyone remember him) after the switch the car would run 12.10 all day long, but I now ran a different class than Christian........after a season of racing the family thing started and racing went out the window.........I had this L-79 car that was barely streetable (for the time)........so using all the intellegence that I had at the time.....I sold my built L-79 engine for $300 and bought a 396-350H.P. turbo 400 combo and spent the winter of 67-68 putting that assy in the Nova......built my own headers etc as nothing was available at the time.....it was neat when the trans shifted gears as it would chirp the tires.......but the headers were so inefficient that the car wouldn't get out of its own way......but at the time it was neat....The little lady finally had enough and it was her way or the highway........I sold the Nova to someone on the South side of Chicago and never saw it again.....Got out of cars for twenty years and now I'm making up for lost time......and it all started at Hoskins Chevrolet on Irving near Lincoln......Anyone remember the Pie Pan in Lincolnwood???
Didn't mean to be so long winded..........

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwhizz For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (09-21-2022), dykstra (09-20-2022)
Old 10-08-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just love those Nickey and 427 emblems mounted right on top of the SS hockey stripe.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:31 PM

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

Cool car Ken. Do you have any paperwork with the vin or plate # ? Have you tried a DMV search ?
Old 10-08-2005, 07:24 PM

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,147 Posts

Wasn't the Pie Pan on Cicero &amp; Peterson?..I remember a fence running around it.
Dick Hoskins Chevrolet

Old 10-08-2005, 08:24 PM

Ken VERY COOL story! I know that now you are a cheese head but did you start life as a Chi-town warrior?