Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 02-06-2009, 07:59 PM

Default Re: lift hooks

[ QUOTE ]
If the pages were softer your book might be good toilet paper !!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

"...at this point in my life, every day is a Saturday".
Old 02-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Banned

Fluffy Frank,

We should have dialogged at your shop this summer when I was there to see the restamped special. You could have made up a list of questions and we could have went over all your talking points and sang happy songs together.

I suspect that all of the Norwood workers that I interviewed were fluffed up on drugs. One of the things that I've learned from being involved with these cars since they were new was you're always learning. Have you been involved since they were new? Still looking for the articles or books that you've written to help the hobby?

Jerry
Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Were all the Z-28 engines built at Flint, or were some built at Tonawanda?

SB--Flint
BB--Tonowanda

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich,

Are you telling us that the engines for the Big Block Z-28s were built in Tonawanda?

Old 02-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,188 Times in 1,341 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
SB--Flint
BB--Tonowanda

[/ QUOTE ]

Tonawanda also built a # of small blocks.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 02-06-2009, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Were all the Z-28 engines built at Flint, or were some built at Tonawanda?

SB--Flint
BB--Tonowanda

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich,

Are you telling us that the engines for the Big Block Z-28s were built in Tonawanda?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're on the right track, Dennis...Every single one of them!

"...at this point in my life, every day is a Saturday".
Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm done. Back to the

Old 02-06-2009, 10:43 PM

remember the old batman tv show ? BANG !!!! POW !!!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,149 Posts

Back on topic...

In general,here's what I believe happened,that may help answer a few questions that have been brought up,but by no means should this be taken as Verbatim.
The beginning of the engine dress line was a sea of racks full of engines and transmissions:small-block V-8's from Flint V-8 Engine and Tonawanda,big-block V-8's from Tonawanda,and L-6 engines from Flint Motor,plus manual transmissions from Saginaw and Muncie and automatics from Toledo,Cleveland,Warren,and Willow Run.
In the engine schedule area,the operator grabbed the next broadcast copy from the printer,verified the sequence number,noted the engine code required for that car,and moved an air-powered overhead hoist on traveling bridge rails over the correct engine rack.The specified engine was hoisted * out of the rack and transferred to the next hook on the overhead engine dress line conveyor,where the throwout bearing (on manuals) was greased and installed,along with the clutch fork boot.Another operator on the other side of the line repeated the process with the specified transmission,
which was then installed and bolted to the engine.On automatics,an air tool was used to rotate the flexplate,and the converter bolts were driven,followed by the lower cover.
The VIN derivative numbers were stamped in the next operation on both the engine pad and the transmission,using a gang-stamp holder and a dead blow hammer.From here on,all the crucial detail dress ornaments were added like plug wires,coil,engine harness,battery cables,carburetor,pulleys,alternator,starter,fan and clutch,A/C compressor,power steering pump,transmission cooler lines and fill tube,A.I.R. pump,diverter valve and air manifolds,drive belts,dipstick and tube,oil filter,engine and transmission mounts,PCV plumbing,vacuum fittings,fuel pump and fuel line,radiator hoses,and (if applicable) the transmission-mounted 4-speed manual shifter and linkage was installed and adjusted (3-speed manual floor shifters were mounted on the cross-member and adjusted later on the Chassis line).
Engine oil and transmission lube were added,and the completed engine/transmission assembly was conveyed to the chassis line for installation in the subframe.The engine line inspector wrote the engine,transmission and carburetor codes on the broadcast copy and put the sheet in a box for pickup by the scheduling clerk,which was needed to create the Protecto-O-Plate at the end of the assembly line.

*The front & rear engine pull hooks were most likely installed before this moment,to allow many of the procedures that followed to take place.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Why don't you clarify why you where at Franks Jerry? Your "re-stamped special" comment is very vague. The fact is you where there after Frank told a customer that his engine etc were re-stamped. That's when you were hired to look into the car. You make it sound as if Frank did something wrong here. At least that's how I read into it...BKH
Old 02-07-2009, 02:52 AM
Banned

I could feel so much love from Frank that I didn't think it was necessary to do so. I was trying to post positive data on cars that I have documented when I have time.......and have been doing so for many, many years. What do I get out of Frank, smart as.......... answers saying cars I looked at have been fluffed.

Keep to personal attacks out just like I have.

Jerry