Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Honoring Don Yenko

Hey, guys, got a question for you. Recently I was contacted by a group of Don Yenko's former associates in regards to a couple of projects they were involved in. Even though this is not the first time I have been approached with such projects, this one was different, as a couple of the ones involved were involved with Don (Bort racing products) back in the day. In addtion, a couple former employees are interested as well.

The first project consists of a concentrated effort to get Don inducted into the Corvette Hall of Fame in Bowling Green, KY. Most anyone who has followed Corvette racing history is well aware of Don's many Corvette related accomplishment's, on and off the track. I pledged my support, as I have felt for some time that Don deserved that distinction. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif[/img]

The second project is a little more invovled. Because of their respect for Don, and his love of performance based cars, they are considering the idea of building a "Commerorative" edition Yenko, to both honor and, to continue the legacy of Don Yenko. The car would be based on the Corvette, with numerous performance modifications, including a 427 CI power plant. In addition, the car would sport newly designed Yenko graphics and badging.

To me, there can never be another "Yenko", period. But, a "Tribute" or "Commerorative" model, maybe. Of course, any such car would have to meet certain criteria (performance, looks, etc.) before it could even be considered for such designation.

Your thoughts, please [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Honoring Don Yenko

With the various GMMG projects, including the new Motion cars, I see NO reason why not, but, that's just My opinion. Why not honor as many of the Hi Po dealers as possible with some modern muscle?
Old 08-20-2003, 09:02 PM

What year model Corvette would the platform be?

SS
Old 08-20-2003, 09:07 PM

Corvette Hall of Fame is a no brainer. But as far as a tribute car goes. In my opinion when the name Yenko is mentioned I associate it with a man who built Supercars, primarily Camaros. I never think of a Corvette by Yenko. A great idea but using a Corvette isn't giving enough justice to his great name. Is a Yenko Corvette really something to get excited about? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img] Now if GM would feed off of the Mustang and bring back the Camaro with retro looks of the 69. Now you've got something to be excited about... Just a wish of mine.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:10 PM

I only have a few details, as I have been busy with other projects, but I believe there is at least one prototype, I think a 2001 Vette. In addition, if memory serves me correct, I did hear about a Camaro a year or two ago, like a 2000 or so. The way it was told to me, they would like to test the waters with the prototype Vette, and if all goes well, continue on with new Vettes. Not for sure C5s or 6s, as I am not into the Vette thing.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:19 PM

Darren, better study your Yenko history if you have a problem associating Don Yenko with Corvettes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 09:20 PM

I want one. I mean I really want one!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

And I think a Yenko Corvette tribute is the right thing to do for two reasons:

1. While Yenko is better known for bringing big HP drag racing cars to Joe Public, he really made his racing name in the Corvette at Sebring, Daytona, etc.

2. I was going to ask Matt Murphy at the Reunion if he was going to do a C5R Corvette project because I think the Le Mans 427 engine needs to be put in a 'Vette. And no offense to anyone here, but the new 'Vettes look a lot better than the new Camaros. Personally, I think the Camaros lost the uniqueness and attractiveness of their look after the 3rd gen cars.

Mixing a tribute to Yenko's personal racing history with a tribute to Chevy's world beating Corvette race car, can't be wrong. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif[/img]

PS Tom, I picked up a mint 71 Sebring program that has great pictures of Don and Donna Mae that I will bring to the Reunion to show you...

ZL1 #49 (Dale, Waukesha WI) Super Stock restoration by SCW; 9561AA (Walters, Hebron OH) Super Stock motor by the Grump
Old 08-20-2003, 09:26 PM

You asked for an opinion. I am not denying his history with Corvettes. My first line in my post was "Hall of Fame is a no brainer!". But having the name Yenko on a special build of Corvettes doesn't do it for me. Just my opinion and I mean no disrespect. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif[/img]
I'm out of this one.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to mmcporter

It's a sad state of affairs that Chevrolet's only car that could be associated with performance is the 'Vette.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:44 PM

Darren, did not mean to sound harsh. And hey, I asked for everyone's opinions. Just I have always been interested in Don and his Corvettes. I blow a chance to purchase one he had raced at Daytona, which I still kick myself over.