Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-04-2010, 04:10 PM

Default '67 Vette decoding...

I know this isn't really a 'supercar' but a friend was looking at a '67 red Corvette at a brokers here in Canada (Northern Ontario) and couldn't get much if any info on it...
The car is a red roadster, rallys, white interior, 4 speed with a carb'd small block of unknown background and horsepower - apparently came from an auction in Florida.
He is being very cautious since the dealer won't or can't devulge any background on the car other than the vin (194677S118550) - but we are wondering if that alone can tell any kind of tale about the car.
I would suspect it isn't probably a matching #'s setup and may just be a collection of parts - but does the vin give any hint as to what the car really should be as it sits now?
Anyone know what the correct 327 block casting #'s series should be be for this vintage or what the engine code stamp suffixes should be for this year of car - as I seem to recall vettes had specific alpha codes unique to them verses other Chev blocks?
I havent seen the car myself or I would have more specific details - thus the vague questions... Thanks for any and all responses and/or suggestions - Randy
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,262 Times in 1,984 Posts
Default Re: '67 Vette decoding...

Welcome aboard Randy!.
Unless an original Canadian delivered car, there's no place to send for original 'as shipped' details regarding specific Vins of this era 'Vettes so it's best to continue what you're doing w/ research and homework before pulling the trigger!.

The guy selling the car may be a good dealer and not trying to hide anything?.
Just beware that matching #'s doesn't mean anything is original...just matching!.

Being a '67 there's a chance the original build sheet is still attached to the gastank...sometimes you can shine a flashlight down around the filler seal and see it it's there before trying pulling the tank..

Here's a link including '67 'Vette suffixes and lots more details..
http://www.computersupport.ca/Restor...te%20Facts.htm

No idea of dates that go w/ the below links but here's some past history regarding this Vin...look further at the results for details..

Sold at Mecum for $51,000..
http://www.c6registry.com/Hot_News/2.../Mecum2010.htm

Priced at $64,000...sold for ?.
http://www.dreamcarstore.net/

It's best to hang around places like this and some 'Vette sites learning more about the cars and who's good/bad to buy from!.
One of the good guys is as easy as clicking on the Nickey logo at the top of this page...lots of great cars and deals available including a '67 Roadster!.
And it wouldn't hurt to place some wanted ads on a few sites as this market may bring a great car and deal to light?.

Good luck!.
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete

Old 05-04-2010, 05:33 PM

Thanks Pete for the info...
I was searching around some since I first posted here and ran across the same dreamcarstore.net listing - which is exactly the same car by vin that I was originally asking about - not obviously from and auction in Fla but a Mo dealer instead! Maybe the story changed so it would seem a bit more difficult to track down - but with the web - not so much so...
Seems it was or is supposidly an L79 car which to a degree would help justify the price somewhat if it is real - but as listed here it still seems to way too dear (still asking $64+ range here in CDN $$'s) in today's world it would seem...
I will follow up with the info you provided - Thx again - Randy
Old 05-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,599 Posts

-----A local customer of mine just bought a very nice 65 365hp convertable. White on black for around $45,000. Engine was born with but trans and rear had been changed. He was looking for a good driver and didnt care about the drivetrain other than the engine. Sounds very similar to what you are looking at with the exception of the year. A 67 will bring a bit more than the same quality 65 and it is resale RED!!!.......Bill S
Old 05-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,173 Posts

&quot;the dealer won't or can't devulge any background on the car&quot;

That is a bad sign. The dealer should be willing to divulge all the info available to him. If not, red flag.

JMHO
Old 05-06-2010, 01:30 AM

Another thing to check is the trim tag. There are lots of bogus tags out there. Lots of green cars are now red or black. Post a high resolution pic as I may be able to help.