Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-02-2003, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Original owner muscle cars.

Chris from Hobart, that pic of the Vette is awesome!! I would love to see what a dealer decal or plate frame looks like from Douglas Chevrolet.

I have heard the story about Bill Hunter and his Yenko's. I would LOVE to meet him!
Old 03-03-2003, 12:51 AM

Frank, it's ironic you should ask about the decal. When my brother first negotiated the deal with the salesman, it included the provision that there would not be a Douglass decal on it. He didn't want to give any free advertising to Jack. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif[/img] The night we picked it up, there it was, a decal on the rear. He refused to sign the papers unless it was removed. The sales guy went out and removed the decal with a razor himself. Sales was willing to do anything in late '67 to get rid of the last 3 remaining 435hp cars on the lot, including offering $1000 off the sticker BEFORE trade-in. Who would have guessed back then advertising might be cool some day.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:42 PM

Looking for pics of Original owner muscle cars at MCACN
Old 12-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I was offered a COPO motor,VIN tag and ownership that matched the motor over 10 years ago.The guy wanted 20K.Story he gave me was the car was being restored in a shop when it was stolen.The motor was in a different location and did not get stolen with the body.The insurance company paid on the stolen car.Some other guy ended up buying the motor and some how tracked down the original car.This guy went to the new owner with his lawyer,insurance man and a cop.He bought the body and put everything back to original to end up with a nice COPO.I thought there was a thread on this forum years ago that gave all the details.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 82z96ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since we are talking about storyies and people, I was at a Super Chevy Show in Montgomery. A gentleman with an orange COPO with ZL1 engine was telling me about a feud of an owner over some engine and body of a 69 COPO car. Supposedly the story went that an orignal owner of a COPO car had his car stolen not to long after he had bought it. The car was stripped and sold in pieces. Later on, like years or something like that, he got the body and chassis back. He also found where the orginal engine was, somewhere in Canada I think he said. And supposedly there is a feud between the two parties know as one or the other will not part with their parts. For any price.

Any one know of this story. The person telling me of it was nice and talked to me for awhile. I was shocked cuz I have found down her that these guys (car collectors)aren't easy to talk with. </div></div>
Old 12-24-2013, 07:41 AM

Scuncio Kid brought life back to a 10 year old topic...
My Car My Book My Photos
Old 12-25-2013, 03:55 PM

Wow, an almost 11 year old thread actually! Most of us are still here and kicking too!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:00 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hvychev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, an almost 11 year old thread actually! Most of us are still here and kicking too! </div></div>

.....and some of us are a lot lighter [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 12-25-2013, 04:34 PM

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/youguysrock.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to 55chevy Send a message via AIM to 55chevy Send a message via Yahoo to 55chevy

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/santa.gif[/img] Some just lurk around [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 AM

Not quite on topic but close (sorry for those that already heard the story). While not the original owner of a special car, I am currently the caretaker of the &quot;Tin Soldier&quot; 69 COPO Camaro.

Plenty of stories around this car, but this past summer I was able to get in touch with the original owners son, Jason. Jason's dad, Ron Terrell was the original owner of Tin Soldier. Jason and I hatched a scheme to sneak the car and his dad to the Camaro Nats in MD. We did a reveal and his dad had not seen the car in nearly 28 years!

You can read about that here:
Link to Thread on the Reveal

The true history of the Tin Soldier was great, as I had been told that Ron worked for Queen City chevy where TS was ordered. Instead, I learned that Ron actually worked for GM in the Norwood plant, and he helped assemble this COPO at every station on the line. There were indeed some &quot;items&quot; that fell on the car along the way too! One item still on the car, is a large water gauge tapped into the intake manifold (which had been changed by Ron along the way over the years). That water gauge was donated by one of Ron's friends in the GM locomotive division.

Ron was not only a well known &quot;Privateer&quot; back in the day, but is still a respected one today. He still races &quot;Tin Soldier II&quot; the 85 Camaro he sold Tin Soldier to buy. His wife told him either the Camaro or his 67 427 vette would have to be sold to get the 85. Ron is a legend in the privateer (non sponsored) drag racing community.

Here's a pic of Ron from last summer in TSII:

Jason and his mom snuck out Ron's old fire suit, helmet and photo album. I brought a scanner and scanned all of the old TS pics and made this vid with the reveal and the pics. My favorite is at the 1:00min mark where Ron was handing his wife his beer as he was staging!

Youtube Vid:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/3jl5n0peiSQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/3jl5n0peiSQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Stills:

Ron and Wife Early 70

Ron and Wife 2013

Ron Jason and I

Ron and Jason taking Tin Soldier for a spin

Old Pics I scanned:

Anyway, not the original owner, but still a cool original owner story I thought......

Rich