Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Info on a 'Canadian' Nova..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diamond_Don</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StriperSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There were never any big block Acadians built. Biggest engine was a 350 in the 68 - 71 Acadian SS. Magnum 500 wheels were not available either. Steel wheels or Rally wheels were available. </div></div>

I have original GM sales documentation that advertises the Super Sport (Magnum 500) wheels as an Acadian option, so it is possible some were built. </div></div>

You're right. I just looked at a sales brochure! Doh!
Old 12-03-2016, 02:02 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427.060</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beaumonts aren't Pontiacs but that is not a topic to be discussed here now.
James </div></div>

Neither were the Chevy II/Nova styled Acadians. They were stand alone models sold at Canadian Pontiac-Buick dealerships. I'm old enough to remember that when Acadians came out in 1962, all the display signs and promotional material at Pontiac dealerships in Canada were changed to read Pontiac-Buick-Acadian-Vauxhall-GMC trucks. None of the Acadian showroom brochures or media advertising ever mentioned the word Pontiac. Unfortunately, DMV's in Canada always called them Pontiac Acadians and even GM Canada documents them as Pontiac Acadians.

Bob
Old 12-03-2016, 03:10 AM

Yep - only ever available through and at Pontiac dealerships - that's good enough at least for me to call them Pontiacs. They carried exactly the same Chevrolet running gear and major sheet metal (but grills and often taillights and some side trim was often or usually different) plus the seats, dash pads, instrumentation and layout, and often side trim was different and usually flashier like most Pontiac models were over their Chevrolet equivalents at least here in Canada..
They were always if advertised referred to Pontiac Acadians and Pontiac Beaumonts - no mention of Chevrolet ever when I was a teenager - so Pontiac has and always will work for me!