Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw68 View Post
...The recent discussions about clones like this now infamous L78
That's a factory Black LS-5.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr70 For This Useful Post:
rlw68 (11-01-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 01:54 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

You don't know from whence you speak. The NCRS got the access through the GM Archives. The Archives could not take it on. There's data on a couple of million Camaros, plus the other models - it was a huge undertaking.

Finally, 50 years later, there is dealer info and production date available.
And you're upset cause one number, that is only used on a couple pieces of documentation in some years, isn't given out. And that data could be easily be use to fake documents. I'd make the same call.

Last edited by Kurt S; 11-03-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt S View Post
You don't know from whence you speak. The NCRS got the access through the GM Archives. The Archives could not take it on. There's data on a couple of million Camaros, plus the other models - it was a huge undertaking.

Finally, 50 years later, there is dealer info and production date available.
And you're upset cause one number, that is only used on a couple pieces of documentation in some years, isn't given out. And that data could be easily be use to fake documents. I'd make the same call.
I can accept condescending replies if the information provided is complete and accurate.

It was just my opinion that GM Media Archives could also provide these reports, given they already have a very large Vehicle Invoices service in place. The service is outsourced to Allied Vaughn I have 30 years of experience in IT, all C++/C# software development and relational databases from when Oracle was v4. Working with a few million records of unstructured data the norm. There is nothing magical about it. The NCRS is not experienced in data management as they wrote in this post and in the Corvette Restorer v37/4.

The number I am 'upset' and whining about is the order# that is on the shipping report. It is not accurate or complete whence you state that its only on a few documents. For the 1969 Camaro the order# is the body number on the trim tag. I assume its the same for other Fisher body cars.

However the difference is Fisher did not build Corvettte bodies. The NCRS decision to withhold information is all about fake Corvette documents and nothing more. I can appreciate that especially if their tank sticker is commonly available. For the other vehicles like my '69 Camaro build sheets are very rare. Plus we already know the order# without any paperwork. This is not the same situation at all. Including the order# on our NCRS report would match the trim tag to the VIN. At this point in the game I think it would do more good than harm.

Last edited by rlw68; 11-04-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 11-05-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
You don't know from whence you speak.

Last edited by rlw68; 11-11-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:01 AM

Thanked 4,476 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
For the 1969 Camaro the order# is the body number on the trim tag. I assume its the same for other Fisher body cars.
The order number does not appear on Pontiac Motor Division Fisher body trim tags.

Quote:
The service is outsourced to Allied Vaughn I have 30 years of experience in IT, all C++/C# software development and relational databases from when Oracle was v4. Working with a few million records of unstructured data the norm. There is nothing magical about it. The NCRS is not experienced in data management as they wrote in this post and in the Corvette Restorer v37/4.
Have you ever had any conversation with Jim Mattison from PHS about digitizing those records?

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
442w30 (11-07-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 03:45 PM

The 69 order # is on the trim tag. That's discussed here http://www.camaros.org/bodynumbering.shtml. Since it's on the trim tag, I didn't even consider it an issue.
I was talking about 67-68 order #'s.
Pretty easy - if it's that upsetting, don't use the NCRS service.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
The order number does not appear on Pontiac Motor Division Fisher body trim tags.

Have you ever had any conversation with Jim Mattison from PHS about digitizing those records?
Hi Keith, sorry my statement about the tags was too 'General'. I was referring to just Chevrolet Fisher bodies. Its interesting however that the '69 Camaro and Firebirds were assembled on the same line. It is my understanding that the Camaro body# on the trim tag started at ~100000 and the Firebird maybe around ~500000 for that year. So whats the number on the 'bird??

I've never met Jim M. It appears that his company was contracted to located the missing Chevy records (Corvette Forum post) There was also a LOT of discussion about it right here on sYc Some shipping records of course were eventually found and I believe he was the one who located them. But its another eight years later or so before the NCRS offered a service for their members Corvettes. During that time GM takes PHS to court over the ownership of the Pontiac records but it took a Court of Appeals decision to get them back.

Its quite the drama.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
The 69 order # is on the trim tag. That's discussed here http://www.camaros.org/bodynumbering.shtml. Since it's on the trim tag, I didn't even consider it an issue.
I was talking about 67-68 order #'s.
Pretty easy - if it's that upsetting, don't use the NCRS service.
You told me that I dont know what I am talking about. That apparently wasnt enough so then added misleading information about the order# so further discredit anything I posted. So now I'm still stupid because the number is on the '69 trim tag already and if I dont agree with the NCRS withholding information, too bad.

It seems like you just wait for any post that has the word 'Camaro' and jump in to show everyone how much you know. But all I see are these short snarky replies that contribute very little.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:52 PM

Default tha

Here's a page from a 1967 Chevrolet monthly shipping report. The information provided on the Chevy Muscle Docs is shown. The other data was not made available.

Also interesting is the page number 271. There are fifty records per page which suggests the report has ~13550 cars at this point. Perhaps this report includes all vehicles for the St Louis plant that month.

Name:  Shipping Report - 196701.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  118.2 KB

I expect these shipping records also vary by year. Sometime in 1968 or 1969 the computer systems were updated. This is also seen in some of the other paper records.