Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-01-2016, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Info on a 'Canadian' Nova..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StriperSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There were never any big block Acadians built. Biggest engine was a 350 in the 68 - 71 Acadian SS. Magnum 500 wheels were not available either. Steel wheels or Rally wheels were available. </div></div>

I have original GM sales documentation that advertises the Super Sport (Magnum 500) wheels as an Acadian option, so it is possible some were built.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:40 PM

Certainly collectible with only 63 built (all models) in 1966, but they're a tougher sell than a comparable L79 Chevy II, especially in the U.S. United States buyers prefer the Chevy II L79 over the Canadian maple leaf adorned Acadians, even though any 1st or 2nd generation Acadian is a far rarer car then a comparable U.S. Chevy II and they can be documented by GM Canada Vintage Services.

At present, there are six 1966 L79 Acadians in the Canadian L79 Registry, all GM Canada documented. There are two sport coupes, one 2 door sedan and three Sport Deluxes. Even though they're rarer cars than Canadian produced L79 Chevy IIs (195 built in 1966), they tend to be valued only slightly higher. Buyers soon become aware that even though Acadian drivetrains are the same as Chevy II, most of the unique exterior trim pieces, emblems and interiors are not reproduced. Finding these components can be a lengthy and expensive process. The cost of a custom made 'as original' Acadian interior is huge. In addition to there being more of them, finding unique Acadian components is one of the main reasons there is a general preference for the L79 Chevy II.

Bob
Old 12-01-2016, 06:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Recent discussion regarding a 66 L-79 Acadian that just traded hands. Was posted on canadian poncho activeboard at 50K CDN (listed as sold inside an hour).

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=581745
67 Chevelle Conv. SS-427 clone
70 Chevelle SS-454 LS-5 M-22
Old 12-01-2016, 10:59 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L78_Nova</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recent discussion regarding a 66 L-79 Acadian that just traded hands. Was posted on canadian poncho activeboard at 50K CDN (listed as sold inside an hour).

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=581745

</div></div>

Yeah, I have a feeling it's going to be for sale again in the very near future, too.

Bob
Old 12-02-2016, 03:02 AM

I met a guy who had 3 '67 Chevelles and was collecting trim pieces for Beaumonts of the same year to alter them for resale. He said he could take them down to Carlisle and make a ton more money since the Beaumonts were so much rarer and in demand there, that it was well worth his time and effort.
He showed me one beautiful US Chevelle 396 SS in his shop that he had bought that I in particular would loved to have had, and he was turning it into a Beaumont SD car and said he could get between $10 and $15 K more for it that way. It was a completely rust free Ca. car and he had found a hood and some trim pieces in Carlisle when I was there with some friends at the same time.
We visited him when we all returned from the US at his shop where he did just amazing work.. somebody was going to get a really nice car out of it all - just not a real Beaumont SD as advertised..
This wasn't his first dance at this either apparently! So in some cases The Canadian Pontiac equivalents were a lot more dear than the Chevrolet equivalents!
Old 12-02-2016, 04:13 PM

I wouldn't think that turning Chevelles into Beaumonts would be profitable. One issue would be the VIN. Beaumont VINs start with 7, Chevelles start with 1. Although Beaumonts are much rarer they don't usually bring much, if any, more than a comparable Chevelle.
James
Old 12-02-2016, 04:38 PM

I didn't mention - but you had to know... that he certainly had all the appropriate bits and knowledge of these cars to make legitimate Beaumonts including whatever it took to do a VIN change both on the firewall and elsewhere..
Just going by what he said... This was mind you, quite a few years back now, but from everything I saw and the workmanship and his demeanor I certainly had no reason to dispute what he told me.
It was a lot of painstaking detailed work and if it wasn't for a decent buck for sure he wouldn't have been into it - and from what I surely saw no reason again to dispute his claims.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:23 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427.060</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't think that turning Chevelles into Beaumonts would be profitable. One issue would be the VIN. Beaumont VINs start with 7, Chevelles start with 1. Although Beaumonts are much rarer they don't usually bring much, if any, more than a comparable Chevelle.
James </div></div>

I agree. I don't know who would buy a U.S. built Chevelle turned into a Canadian Beaumont, but I guess it's happening. The biggest plus to the Beaumont is the availability of GM Canada Vintage Services documentation, something you'll never get for a Chevelle Beaumont. Documented Canadian cars are always worth more than a comparable U.S. car just for this paperwork alone. I don't know how the VIN situation you mention is being handled for these Chevelle Beaumonts. Beaumont cowl tags are also very different from same year U.S. Chevelles, both in format and content. I sincerely hope they aren't being changed.

Bob
Old 12-02-2016, 08:51 PM

The situation as I mentioned previously was quite a while back - I haven't attended Carlisle for going on 20 years now.. so that should give you some idea of the timeframe. And YES even back then obviously changing VINs and interiors and hidden numbers and sheet metal to make more of a profit was surely done.
Maybe it was even for a greater profit margin back then than it would be possible to get now for certain cars or brands..
My recollections of being in his shop and seeing a couple of the '67 cars that he was in fact working on are clear as was the hour or so long conversation about these and a couple of other cars he also had in there at the time (not Chevelles or Beaumonts in fact)sticks with me still - as does the memory of the beautiful black '67 SS I tried somewhat to pry loose from him to no avail..
He appeared to mostly enjoy the challenge of making a Beaumont that could stand scrutiny and in his own words.. You certainly wouldn't pay me what I can get for it down at Carlisle once its done and I show up with it as a Pontiac!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:26 PM

Beaumonts aren't Pontiacs but that is not a topic to be discussed here now.
James