Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-27-2003, 02:58 PM

Default Original owner muscle cars.

I was thinking about how cool it would be to be the original owner of a muscle car that you still own to this day. I know of a few people that are. (some on this board)
Maybe you know your muscle car from back then is still alive and well but owned by someone else. Just looking to hear some cool stories on this topic. I know that a lot of us board members really appreciate original owner cars.
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-27-2003, 03:51 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Original owner muscle cars.

There are 12 original owner Yenko Deuces that we know of, the stories they can tell are amazing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 02-27-2003, 06:05 PM

Frank, I personally enjoyed talking with Ken Barnhart about his Z-L1. I think that is one for the books.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:14 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,147 Posts

Don't forget Dennis Cumby (Orig LS6).
Owns a Fred Gibb LS6 from day one.All the papers,storys and pix to boot,but all this is eclipsed by how nice a Man he is.
God Broke the mold after he was born. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 05:46 AM

I thought I would have gotten a big response to this topic. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 01:51 PM

I was fortunate enough to come into the work force in 1965, a perfect time to get involved in the muscle car era. After going through a 1966 283 Beaumont,1966 396 Beaumont and a '68 Ram Air Firebird, I finally bought the COPO Chevelle which we are now restoring. There was a ring sealing issue when the car was new. We then added the headers, Hurst Competition Plus shifter and Hedman headers. Now the car performed as it should. No one invited me out for a run. I'm sure there were faster cars around our area but they may not have wanted to risk their reputation. Today, a car running in the 12s on the street wouldn't get a second glance.
We met the original owner of our 396 car. He had tried to trace the car down in the late '80s, with no luck. He bought another '69 and spared no expense doing it over. We had a great visit.
We are the third owners of our Lemans Sport. I had talked to the original owner over the phone and he sent us some of the original paperwork. Unfortunately, at age 58, he died with a heart attack before we had a chance to meet him.
Good thing we got the cars when we did. They have become unaffordable for most of us today. To us the summers,are just like the old days, only better. In the old days, car shows were for rods and customs. Pull in in a muscle car like ours meant nothing. The parking lot is over there. In that respect things have changed considerably. Most people would know your car and your name. Often times they didn't know you at all. You were known for what you drove. The cars were king.
Back in '73 I took a teenaged lad for a drive in the COPO car to show him what they were like. In the mid 90s I was at a cruise night talking to a guy. It turned out that he was the kid from '73. Bill and I have been good friends ever since. The memories are good. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 02:52 PM

Kieth, did he thank you for messing him up for life?, I am sure after the ride you two went on [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img] it left a impression on him,

I joke with my Uncle about a 12 step prograhm to help guys out like us, He took me for a quite a few rides when I was small back in the late 60's early 70's, I couldnt see over the dash but he would hit it and plant me in the seat hard for a short blast,Those were the days when a guy could come up with cars at will, seems he traded cars like every few weeks, drove my Grandparents crazy as I recall. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2003, 03:00 PM

When i was a Kid my dad had American Cars, and i especially remember his Black 71 Mustang Mach 1,

Almost every single day when it was nice weather he used to take it out, wash it, and on we went, down to the local Gas station to get Coke, and always when pulling out of the station he fried the wheels in the 1, and 2 gear, the car didnt have limited slip, but for a kid like me that really didnt matter.

As a fact for a couple of years ago, he was able to buy the car back, and so he did, so now its back with us.

NEW
Old 02-28-2003, 04:23 PM

I guess I messed Bill up in a nice sort of way. Today he has his own garage business, a '67 Chevy II with a 383 stroker motor and a low mileage '65 Chevy two with the original 6. He has drag raced off and on for many years. I think he has told just about everyone who will listen, about his ride in the old Chevelle.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 04:32 PM

Lets not forget Ray Morrison, bought his 427 nova new from Dick Harrell.