Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 11-04-2005, 01:31 AM

Default selling tags #2

This takes it to limits http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-Camaro...1QQcmdZViewItem
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-04-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: selling tags #2

Selling VIN's is against the law. This auction will be pulled any second now.

Ed
CRG Member
Old 11-04-2005, 02:42 AM

That's interesting. He's selling a project car without the car.

Check out this line from the auction.

"So, If your X-wife shreaded all your important documents or you are trying to build one of those new convertable reproductions, this could be the answer to your prayers."

The VIN and paperwork is for a COUPE!!!

What a bunch of

Rick H.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Total project car with NO BODY. The original body components have long
since rusted beyond repair. You are bidding on ONLY the following
components: One clear New Jersey title for a 1969 camaro V8 coupe and
associated VIN tag number 124379N513505. This car was pre-XCODE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-04-2005, 05:29 AM

I would like to know what the seller's home address is, so I could visit him about 2am for a nice "friendly" conversation. What an idiot.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:32 AM

This guy has the biggest stones I have ever seen.The only person with bigger stones will be the person who bids on it.

It has always beeen Illegal to buy/swap or alter VIN numbers.Cowl tags are a different beast though.In the letter of the law,swapping a cowl tag is a lesser crime then swapping an engine from another car since the engine has a VIN which helps identify the car while the cowl tag doesnt.

The real problem of cowl tag swaps was that there was limited use for them.Most of the very high end supercars are documented by VIN,and most of the lesser valued cars were often not worth tampering with.Back in the day,if you had a trim tag from a supercar,and wanted to build a bogs car,the very least you would need would be a body with a VIN sequence that could at least somewhat correspond with the build date on the trim tag,then you had to find a date code correct block and other parts all the match a specific trim tag.Now with the outbreak of repopped trim tags,it is possible to gather the parts first,then get a trim tag issued to tie all the dates together.It is also possible to get a trim tag with desirable supercar options but with the color code of your donor body stamped on it so that when somebody rips the carpet up or peels back a doorpanel to see if the body was stripped,the color matching of the body and tag would lend even more credibilty to a bogus car.A real good con artist could really build a ringer if he had the patience to pull it all off.

But in defense of the seller on Ebay,he isnt claiming to be selling a supercar tag.I know of more then a few tagged early camaros,and I myself am about to buy a 68 camaro race car with no title.The owner was infact involved in a divorce{I know this as undisputed fact}amd the car was infact known to be registered to him back when he first bought it as it is a well known street race car.This guy is not allowed to search his former home for the paperwork.The wife says"it isnt there",and he is SOL.He had the car registered in his name back in 1982,but that was the last time it was on the street.The DMV wants $200 to search and issue the title.The owner has no interest in geting the title and says that if the future owner wants to register it,he will give a bill of sale stating that he sold the car.I know that if I buy the car and the DMV tells me that the car was listed as junked or scrapped,and I cannot get a title issued,I will have to weigh my options on how to go about putting plates on the car.I wont own a car that I cant park on the street or in the driveway in front of my house on a sunny day,or even drive to a cruise night.If it really comes down to it,I might just have to bust out the old rivet gun and a box of window ribbon.I would never do it to a stolen car,and I am not a theif,but if the state wont give me a title to a car that I own,even after paying their fees and going through the proper channels,then I will have to take matters into my own hands.Chances are that with my luck,I would be tagging a real SS 327 car with a 6 banger tag,but who cares,I will be able to drive it.Being in New Jersey,there are many old hot rods and race cars from New York that dont have papers because the registration is the paper for te car,and if a registration expires and the papers are lost,it is almost impposible to get the car back in the system again.Worse yet is the fact that no matter how nice the guy you bought the car off of is,and how long you know he has had it,if he bought it without a title,then you are rolling the dice that the car wont turn up in the data base as stolen way back in 1969 or something,and you could get carried out in handcuffs for stealing a car before you were even born.Sometimes just tagging it is the way to go.It is much less fraudulent then tagging a base model car to make it into a much more valueable supercar.Whoopie,I just made my white 327ss car into a red 6 cylinder car.I bet it is worth much more now that it is red{not}.

Oh well different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chances are that with my luck,I would be tagging a real SS 327 car with a 6 banger tag,but who cares,I will be able to drive it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Rich if you had an SS 327 you would have a rare car. The never made them with a 327 so if someone is selling an SS with numbers matching 327 you better put away the checkbook.

Rick H.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:20 AM

HAHAHA.You got me there.This particular car happens to be an original 327 car,but the trim tag had all of about 5 numbers on it,none of which meant anything good,and not that I would care anyway.The car is pretty much a race car with an aluminum interior and all that.I just want a lighter car to drop my bigblock into anyway.But I think you got my point.

Its not to hard to tell that this one has been out of circulation for a while.

Old 11-04-2005, 07:36 AM

Cool scoop!
Old 11-04-2005, 02:18 PM

I emailed the seller and told him about selling VIN tags. He responded that he didn't know it was against the law and ended the auction on him own.
James