Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 09-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Legal advice. Possible fraud.

Sold a car awhile back. Car left on a truck and went into storage until buyer could arrange for final delivery. Storage was with the buyer's friend. Car sat for many months and then was moved to another site for storage with a second person. This second person allegedly wound up selling the car to someone else without permission of the original buyer.

So:

1. Buyer never followed through on moving the car into his physical possession.
2. Storage fees added up, unpaid thus far.
3. Second person to store car allegedly sold the car without notifying person I sold it to.
4. My buyer never came to get the title, which I still have with the original bill of sale. Copies furnished to buyer at time of sale and again this week.
5. My buyer is now trying to locate car and take possession. He called police where car was last stored and basically got nowhere. I advised buyer to seek legal counsel and proceed that way, maybe a private detective who specializes in collector car situations.

Any advice?

I have no skin in the game as I was paid in full at time of sale. I would like to see this resolved but I am not particularly confident of that happening.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-18-2014, 05:25 PM

Thanked 1,623 Times in 498 Posts
Default Re: Legal advice. Possible fraud.

If the local cops won't help...I would call the state police and if they balk call the state attorney general's office.

wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 09-18-2014, 05:56 PM

I sure hope the person who disposed of the vehicle went through the proper legal channels in order to obtain title. If not I would venture to guess they liable to a civil if not criminal suit.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 09-18-2014, 09:34 PM

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,003 Posts

In most states that I am aware of you need to give written notice to someone before you can sell their car to give them a chance to pay. I don't know and doubt if it falls under the "Mechanics Lein" but if it does it is VERY difficult to sell someones car and if you don't follow the rules you are in big trouble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 09-18-2014, 11:42 PM

There may have been a lien applied by the original or second person who stored the car in order to collect storage fees. The buyer's rep, who called me and told me the situation, hinted that there may have been a lien but wasn't clear about it.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:36 AM

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts

In Oklahoma, that would be a mechanic's lien, or what is sometimes referred to as a possessory lien. Same lien laws apply for repair or storage.

Lien holder does have a right to sell the property, but must, among other thiings:

1. Run the vin by the police dept where they will check to make sure the car has never been reported stolen,

2. Send certified mail to the owner of record, as well as any other "interested party", such as a prior lien holder. The person conducting the sale has an affirmative duty to request the name and address of the current record owner from the tax commission.

Don't know if your state has the same stringent requirements.

Bill, is the car still registered in your name?

Where do you live (what state?).
Old 09-19-2014, 12:45 AM

Since title is still in your possession and not transferred, you may be on the hook for any fees or legal stuff,IMO.

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation
Old 09-19-2014, 02:04 AM

why do you have the title? any reason you did'nt overnight it to the buyer when he paid in full? that's the way I was showed how to do these long distance deals.

you having the title may be a snag unless you have a notarized bill of sale from back when ever you did the deal or emails showing you both acknowledging it paid in full on that day and its his car and responsibility from that day forward.

bummer deal brother.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:36 AM

I submitted a record of sale with the state DMV when I sold the car and provided the price and name/addy of buyer. Buyer likes to lay low and wanted to come get title in person and maybe buy some more stuff from me. Truthfully, I forgot (!) I had the title. The buyer stopped calling me in March 2013 and did not return my calls (no voice mail box on buyer's phone) so I assumed that was that. Forgot all about the deal until buyer's rep called a few days ago. He said I had the title and lo and behold, there it was in my car paper folder in the safe. I said I'd mail it to him right away and he balked.

By the way, if you get the idea that the buyer and his rep are a tad flaky I understand.

Having read the responses thus far I'll put the title in registered mail/receipt required and be done with it. Sound okay?
Old 09-20-2014, 02:49 AM

I can't imagine you would be liable for any fees if the car had a lien sale done. That should take care of the balance. As far as the title goes, I personally would keep it/toss it. Sending it now will be like setting the hook if any issues arise since you are admitting you have it. You have not done anything wrong at this point other than trusting someone to pick up the car when they said they would. I'm sure NJSteve will step in soon and school me.

Jason