Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 04:06 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thank you very much for the information Phil.

This will hopefully address some of the questions that have popped up over the years.

Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to CamaroNOS For This Useful Post:
70 copo (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 10:10 PM

Thanks for taking the time to look into this issue Phil, job well done... If anyone else has anything on this subject, feel free to chime in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Nickey Nova For This Useful Post:
70 copo (12-02-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 12:00 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Beyond the most likely cause being the repetitive data spool/drum update data field error there is more. For those of you that want to geek out on all the ways an IBM model 29 can fail and provide erroneous data output just have a quick look at the maintenance manual. By today's standards it is pretty needy. Look at pages 9 through 14 for failure tree diagrams.

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/punched..._Man_Nov70.pdf

AND:

After looking at the outcome to this investigation we have decided to supplement the informational conclusions to the previous 1968 POP thread to reference this thread.

As to the remaining workers that I have befriended from the Norwood Plant I am going to miss these people when they all leave us for good.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:14 PM

Amended POP error thread is here: https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161331
Old 12-04-2021, 04:13 PM

In 'Echoes of Norwood' p98, there's a picture of the body plate stamping machine connected to a card reader. If the cards were the source of errors they would need to include the Fisher build date. The date, like the plant code NOR and other legal jargon, was most likely set on the machine.

The substitution of a 5 for an N would be one heck of a typo !

Name:  5OR.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  87.5 KB
Old 12-04-2021, 06:01 PM

Rob,

Good observation... The repetitive data fields like the date of production week and the plant were on the programming spool (drum). This was to save key puncher time and reduce errors this is called programming driven entry.

If the programming drum for the week has the wrong date or is simply not changed timely that is a factor in batch errors in all the card readers.

Review this video starting at minute 1:38

Old 12-04-2021, 06:10 PM

Rob,

An error like 5OR is likely a reader error.

Note the warning in this video at minute mark 1.00

Old 12-10-2021, 07:52 PM

Excellent post, thank you!

Do any of the workers recall exactly when (what day of the week) the production week designation advanced to the next letter? And how long did the code for the final production week of a calendar month (such as 02D, or 03D or 03E) continue to be used into the first few days of the next calendar month?

Based on observed tags from Chevelle plants (not Norwood), it appears to me that they did not advance the week designation on the 1st day of a given calendar month, unless that happened also to be the first day of the new production week. For example, I have a 67 Baltimore Chevelle that has a broadcast date printed on the trim card of 12/1/66 (which was a Thursday), but it has an 11E Body Plate.

And that would make sense as long as the first day of the production week was not Thursday. For example, if Wed Nov 30, 1966 was the first day of the E week, you would not expect the plant to reprogram everything on the 30th (to 11E) and then turn right around and reset it all again the very next day to 12A.

That would also explain why it seems like you see far less A tags than D and E tags, if most of the first week of a calendar month is still being coded as D or E of the prior month. Then I would guess they would jump straight to B when the next production week began.
That is just a guess, but it is almost the only way to explain why (at least with Chevelle plants) there are so many months with an E week found on Plates.

If you pick any given weekday as the hypothetical "first day" of each production week, and carry that day all the way across the entire 1965-1967 calendars, you cannot find a weekday that will yield a 5th "E" week in every month that there are E tags existing for. So there HAD to be something odd about how they handled the first few days of each month (unless the first day of the calendar month happened to also fall on the first day of the new production week, which would get an "A" designation).

Thanks again for your efforts! Jeff
66 Chevelle L78 unrestored
67 Chevelle L78 unrestored
67 Camaro SS350 Survivor
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffschevelle For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (12-10-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
Excellent post, thank you!

Do any of the workers recall exactly when (what day of the week) the production week designation advanced to the next letter? And how long did the code for the final production week of a calendar month (such as 02D, or 03D or 03E) continue to be used into the first few days of the next calendar month?
Jeff,
Your observations about the plants are probably spot-on. But it's hard to generalize - from what I've seen, every plant handled the tag dating differently. If there was a rule, it wasn't generally enforced.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:22 PM

Jeff,

At the 2018 MCACN I brought some workers from GMAD Baltimore for a table meet and greet. I will do some asking to see if there is any of the BAL salaried guys that could help and still alive.

These kinds of questions are really in the weeds and It took me literally years to develop the network and trust needed to locate the people from just Norwood with the specific information in order to piece things together - often from multiple sources.

A lot of the information you get is junk or hearsay as well so then you have to verify what is being stated. There is often a language barrier that has to be overcome. For instance If I simply ask about the 1966 Chevy II L-79 I will get blank stares, BUT if I show a photo of the unique air cleaner then I am much more likely to get information in reply.

I avoid single guys that are glib and know everything like the plague, and then if they do produce information I verify it independently prior to putting it out. As an example the Norwood Computer guy provided the information that seemed quite logical and then to verify it I had to gain a working understanding of ancient production computing as well.

SO:

Here are the period specific challenges in getting first hand technical information for the other plants:

BIG Transition period across GM, Some plants were dual division e.g. Fisher Body/Chevrolet. (Dual division/dual Management)

Other plants were already GMAD (single division single Management)

Other plants were still under the old BOP management model (Buick, OLDS, Pontiac)

Other plants also had bodies literally made at a separate location and transported to a different location for Chassis assembly also.

The good news is that NORWOOD also transitioned to GMAD management in 1971-1972 so the operation of scheduling and production is likely very similar to Baltimore.

I will see what I can find but it will likely be entirely hypothetical and based upon a Norwood based theory of operation-- unless I actually find the Baltimore Subject Matter Expert, and that takes much time and TIME is not on our side at this point.