Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 01-24-2008, 05:58 AM

Default 70 Stage 1 GSX 4 Speed -Concours Resto

Price = $230,000.00
Contact = [email protected]

The sample pics say it all-- one of the few that exist and with a no expense spared concours resto.

The concours rolling chassis attracted long lines at the BCA Nationals 2006. Detailed pics of the restorations are available for this car and the triple black stage 1 convertible also listed here.

[image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image]
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-24-2008, 06:40 AM

Default Re: 70 Stage 1 GSX 4 Speed -Concours Resto

WOW I LOVE THE 70 GSX'S I THINK THEY AS COOL AS THE CHEVELLE LS6'S AND THE 442 W30 ,GTO JUDGE GREAT LOOKING CAR GOOD LUCK WITH THE SALE
Old 01-25-2008, 12:12 AM

These cars cost so much back then relative to other muscle cars and for this reason they are so rare. I would have to pull our window stickers but they were $5-6,000.00 new. So it would be like ging to dealers today and having a choice between a 442 or a Chevelle for 30,000.00-40,000.00 or buying one of these two Buicks for $50,000.00 to $60,000.00. Not many would turn losse or had the capacity to spend the additional Franklin brothers.

I do not think you will see restos like these two again. All restos are not equal. If you look at these cars you will see what I mean. It just costs too much to go to this degree of detail and the parts for Buicks are just not there.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:55 PM

Very stunning Buicks- just fantastic restorations of some rare & beautiful cars. I have seen this stated about the price structure of Buick and Oldsmobile several times on this & other forums. Olds and Buick definitely represented the upper price structure of the GM hierarchy. But historically I believe Olds & Buick often traded up & down with each other for the position next to Cadillac. I recently decided to research a price comparison of all Buick & Oldsmobile’s in the 1970 model year to compare which division’s vehicles actually had a more expensive base price. I will include the base price listings of both Oldsmobile and Buick’s comparable models to show the base price structure. I pulled this directly from General Motors own price structure sheet in 1970.

The Oldsmobile 442 W-30 was also a very expensive car in 1970 much like the Buick GS & GSX often costing in the 5-6K range depending on options. It was also the only GM vechicle that ever had a truly balanced & blueprinted motor directly done through the factory, a very costly and time-consuming procedure. Both the Buick GS and Olds W-30s were regarded as the executive’s hotrod. Olds was also historically known as the engineering & innovation division of General Motors, often sharing their technology with Cadillac. The 1966 Olds Toronado shared GM’s first Front Wheel drive technology with the Cadillac Eldordo model one year after its development at Olds. The Cadillac Northstar engine was actually developed by Oldsmobile first in the Quad Four and later the Quad eight, which became known later as the Oldsmobile Aurora engine. This was the engine used in the Indy Racing League series.

Anyway, very beautiful autos and I hope you have good luck with the sales.

1970 GM Price Structure of Buick & Oldsmobile

Buick
Grand Sport htp cpe $3,283
Grand Sport conv cpe $3,469
Riviera htp cpe $4,854
Electra 225 htp cpe $4,482
LeSabre htp cpe
$3,419
Sportwagon 4dr $3,210

Oldsmobile

442 htp cpe $3,312
442 conv cpe $3,567
Toronado htp cpe $5,023
Ninety-Eight htp cpe $4,656
Delta 88 htp cpe $3,590
Vista Cruiser wgn 4d,2s $3,636
Old 01-27-2008, 08:01 PM

We own some Olds also, including a 3 deuce 66 442, but I have never seen any publication that did not put the GM pecking order as Cad, Buick, Olds, Pontiac and then Chevrolet. My reference about the relative sticker prices among brands is based on the total sticker prices then and the reproduction stickers I still see today. From owing Olds muscle cars myself I agree they too could be relatively expensive.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 AM

The Olds and Buick cars were the most expensive of all Muscle Cars back in the day. I remember them both often being labeled ‘Rich Man’s Hot Rods” by many auto writers. But unfortunately for Buick they have always also had to contend with the stigma of being the “Old Man’s” car. This is one of the reasons I believe the Buick’s have never felt the love and received the big $$$$$ from collectors that the LS-6, RAIV or W-Cars have enjoyed. But after seeing the concours Apollo White 1970 GSX Stg-1 4spd car sell at the last B-J auction for 150K makes one wonder if the tide is changing. Very nice cars Flying Buick and good luck w/sale! RM
Old 01-29-2008, 05:33 AM

Jimmy's $150K GSx at that sold at BJ this month was NOT a frame off resto. There has never been a real frame off concours stage 1, 4 speed GSX through the BJ auction. Not many Buick (or Olds) owners want to risk the loss of their car at a no reserve auction. I have been to BJ. With the exception of the recent Ramchargers car owner, they do not show you on the tube the numerous disappointed sellers. The emphasize how great it is that they no longer allow reserve cars to enter but neglect to mention this can be catastrophic for unwary sellers who think all cars will ton it.

Also quite a few nice 1970 GSX and Stage 1 convertibles have brought 200-300K at private sales. Some of the convertibles were unrestored. I have some familiarity with the Olds W30 sales too. At private sales many Olds W30s have brought $200-300K. On the other hand at the BJ auction about $100K is tops for an Olds muscle car. So the Olds owners with the best cars, just like the Buick stage 1 owners, will not participate at the BJ auction. It is more of a Ford , Chevrolet and specialty car auction.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I remember the Stage 1 Saturn Yellow GSX that ran thru BJ last year. Automatic car. That car was restored by Dave Kleiner over 20 years ago. He told me it had numerous miles put on the car over the years and was freshened up for the auction. Still it brought 165K I think. Not bad for a car that is no-longer considered "Best of Breed".

Patrick
Old 01-30-2008, 01:45 AM

Agreed both Olds & Buick cars in true no-1 concours condition have sold privately for HUGE figures but did not receive the press of other sales.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember the Stage 1 Saturn Yellow GSX that ran thru BJ last year. Automatic car. That car was restored by Dave Kleiner over 20 years ago. He told me it had numerous miles put on the car over the years and was freshened up for the auction. Still it brought 165K I think. Not bad for a car that is no-longer considered "Best of Breed".

Patrick

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is so, it would make either this car, or the fresh Dave Kleiner restoration I have posted a no brainer of a buy.