Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-14-2008, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Survivor ?????

From the stuffy vettedudes with matching cap and shirt site;

Getting SURVIVOR® Certified documents the standard for unrestored vehicles. It means that a panel of judges have certified that the car meets these requirements:

*Is over 20 years old.
*Can pass a road test over 20 miles
*Remains over 50% unrestored, un-refinished, or unaltered.
*Retains finishes good enough to use as a color guide for restoration of a car just like it

Judges inspect only four components: Exterior, Interior, Engine Compartment and Chassis. Cars must pass at least three of these four categories in order to become SURVIVOR Certified.
http://www.bloomingtongold.com/inc.php?link=survivor

Those standards are extremely lax in my opinion. I don't believe many here would call cars in that category "unrestored"!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:10 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said....
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 12-14-2008, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those standards are extremely lax in my opinion. I don't believe many here would call cars in that category "unrestored"!

[/ QUOTE ]

You may call these standards LAX however if we(camaro collectors) had these standards in place with awards for them there would be fewer restored cars and we would have a better understanding of the actual workmanship and how more things changed during production runs...
It's really our LOSS and is a shame because they had them in place 20 years ago...
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 12-14-2008, 06:45 AM

The Vette guys are a little lax in my opinion. ALL original paint and interior is important to me. Certain maintenance is necessary and does not always let the original 40 year old stuff hang around forever. Hoses,belts,shocks,wires etc. I can live with but one repaint 35 years ago bothers me. How about original paint but somebody cleared it 20 years ago? Paint to me is the most important.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:08 AM

I kinda like the original paint stuff myself, even if it looks a bit ratty. It's only original once. My term for a repainter Survivor is Rurvivor. You can always find original belts, hoses, wires, shocks and other goodies if the originals are worn out.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Vette guys are a little lax in my opinion. ALL original paint and interior is important to me. Certain maintenance is necessary and does not always let the original 40 year old stuff hang around forever. Hoses,belts,shocks,wires etc. I can live with but one repaint 35 years ago bothers me. How about original paint but somebody cleared it 20 years ago? Paint to me is the most important.

[/ QUOTE ]
+1
Old 12-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Thanked 6,189 Times in 1,342 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
+1

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bloomington Benchmark Award =95%original in all four areas. That is what I am hearing from what most people consider survivor. Bloomington sets the standard for the term survivor and it may seem lax but it embraces many unrestored cars that have some degree of restoration and provides them with recognition. Without the survivor award many cars would have been restored, rather than preserved.

There are very few benchmark car, and they are the holygrail. Lets cut the survivor cars some slack and recognize them as well.

Google "survivor car show" for the definition and standards of survivor

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 12-14-2008, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You may call these standards LAX however if we(camaro collectors) had these standards in place with awards for them there would be fewer restored cars and we would have a better understanding of the actual workmanship and how more things changed during production runs...
It's really our LOSS and is a shame because they had them in place 20 years ago...

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen! Although, I don't know why it takes prizes or rewards to get someone to leave a good original car alone. Personally, I get much more satisfaction looking at a real unrestored car with lots of patina than a restored car. Likewise, I'd pay more money for a car in its faded original paint than the same car with shiny new paint.

IMHO, original paint and finishes are a must for a survivor... particularly details like stripes, splatter paint, original underhood finishes, underside finishes, etc. Original interiors are nice, but these cars are meant to be driven and shown off... so I don't blame an owner for making it comfortable. I'm not hung-up on matching numbers, as long as the car still sports the correct drivetrain - again, original remnants of flaked-off chevy orange beats a freshly painted block if its being represented as a survivor.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:30 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,151 Times in 916 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said....

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy now!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:38 PM

One thing that bothers me is when the "survivor" has been all but disassembled and cleaned/detailed like the so called 1970 Benchmark Chevelle. I don't have a problem with cleaning and detailing an original car but there is s stopping point.
James