Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 04-30-2003, 09:02 PM

Default Illinois/Indiana natives: need trip advice

I'm headed to Martin, Michigan for a race in a few weeks, and I'm debating just how to get there. I've gone to Stanton through both Chicago and Indy, but I am undecided which is better. I always go to St. Louis and over, it's just a matter of where I go from there. From St. Louis, Mapquest said 456 miles (7 1/2 hours) to Martin through Chicago, or 511 miles (8 1/2 hours) to Martin through Indy.

So, any of you Illinois or Indiana natives got any tips? My main worry is that I will be rolling into Chicago about 5pm or so, right in the middle of rush hour, in a crew cab TopKick with a 46ft 5th wheel...not exactly the perfect commuter vehicle.

So, is there an easy way through or around Chicago other than Indy? Is 31N out of Indy decent?

How would YOU go?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-30-2003, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Illinois/Indiana natives: need trip advice

Rob...go thru Indy if you want to keep your sanity...coming thru here at 5pm will cost you the extra hour anyway I bet.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:14 PM

Indy is the way. Got my first driving lesson from my dad during rush hour traffic on a friday afternoon on the Chicago Loop. Not fun when your only 15 at the time and have a old PLY S/Wagon to get around in. All he did was laugh the whole trip home to Freeport.

Or adjust your times to miss all the traffic but when does Chicago not have traffic.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I'd go through Indy as well, I have tried to get through both cities during rush hour traffic during various business trips - Indy was much easier. Indy has that nice beltway, and puts you back on Rt. 31 which takes you straight North!

67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 04-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Rob, If you go thru Indy and north on 31, you'll go right thru South Bend. If you were to get here a day early Terry and I could help you make your Yenko a little....... "more stock". [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 04-30-2003, 10:19 PM

Rob,
Martin is too far south for this to work, but next time you go to Stanton head straight up into Wisconsin and follow the lake, you can take yourself and your vehicles across on the ferry that crosses lake Michigan and lands in Ludington which is due west of Stanton. Really beautiful trip. When you head to Martin Rob get in touch with me and I will shoot down and meet you since it is rather close to my home.
Thanks,
Motown [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2003, 02:17 AM

Thanks for the replies, fellas...I was actually leaning toward Indy, and you guys sealed the deal. I've been up and back both ways, but except for some truck trouble EVERY TIME I've been through Terra Haute (changing rear wheel studs on my dually beside I-70 @ 9pm sucked!), the Indy route seemed smoother!

John:
That's a thought, and an EXTREMELY generous offer, but it may not be possible...I'm picking SmallHurst's car up somewhere along the way, and I'm not sure when he can leave work-wise. It would make for a nice "free day", though! Think you or "the Pennington gang" could manage to get my 3116 pump/bracket to the track from your buddy up there?

Motown:
We're racing on May 23rd, and I think the gates open @ 9am. We gotta be out of there by 5pm, so it should be a full day. Look for the big, black truck/trailer combo with Missouri tags...
Old 05-01-2003, 02:24 AM

Try draggin a truck &amp; trailer through the skyway!!! BIG BIG MISTAKE!!!! Better bring a credit card!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2003, 02:32 AM

Matt:

That ferry thing sounds interesting! How about a price, how long a ride, etc.? The boys might get a kick out of that!
Old 05-01-2003, 02:41 AM

No way can a person go from Mo. to Wisc. and enjoy the ride! NoT IN A STRAIGHT LINE!!! via the lake? nope! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif[/img]