Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 02-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Skip's Fiesta

Anybody have any photos of Skip's "Fiesta" Drive Inn which was at North Ave and 1st Ave in Melrose Park, Illinois?
Attachments - The Supercar Registry SkipsDriveIn3.jpg SkipsDriveIn2.jpg SkipsDriveIn.jpg IMG_5337.JPG
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-12-2018, 05:27 PM

Here's an article from the Chicago Tribune back in August 2009. Maybe this will generate some recollections from the Chicago guys. From back in the day. Sure wish I could go back! I recall the "twin's" and a male car-hop they called "Mousey".

I can't say I saw North Avenue actually closed down though. But certainly a long line-up for cars waiting to make the left turn into Skip's.

What ever happened to ...
What Ever Happened To ... Skip's Fiesta Drive-In
August 28, 2009|By Vikki Ortiz Healy

The young woman who answered the phone at the McDonald's near North and 1st Avenues in Melrose Park sounded very busy, so busy that she asked me to call back after 8 p.m., when things presumably would be calmer.
From that brief exchange, it was apparent that the fast-food franchise had nothing on Skip's Fiesta Drive-In, an old-fashioned hamburger joint that sat for decades at the same location across from Kiddieland. Former regulars say the Skip's parking lot was packed until 2 a.m. every weekend.

Picture teens hanging out, drag-racing, sipping on chocolate sodas and eating cheeseburgers -- like in the movies "American Graffiti" and "Grease." Now picture it happening every night in the otherwise quiet western Chicago suburbs from the 1940s to the 1970s.
That was Skip's.
"Life was more laid-back then, and fun was easily accessible. You didn't have to spend a lot of money or have a lot of fancy gadgets -- just your car," said Penny Pagor, who was 15 when she first put on the white blouse, black shorts, black fishnet stockings and majorette boots that were the Skip's uniform in the early 1960s. Waitresses in the years before her wore roller skates. After her, Skip's servers wore skimpy bunny suits with black fishnets.
Skip's was founded by William Nielsen after a conversation around the kitchen table one night. There was no Skip -- just Nielsen, who liked to invent hamburger recipes in his mother's kitchen and decided to open a business offering good food, his relatives told the Tribune in 1983.
Because of its location -- on a stretch of North Avenue surrounded by forest preserves and few traffic lights -- Skip's was a magnet for teens who drove Thunderbirds, Mustangs, Galaxies and other cars that looked extra good in the drive-in setting.
"I went there to show off the car, as many did," e-mailed Bob Mattern, 65, who grew up in Oak Park. He started with a 1966 Chevelle SS 396, traded it in for a new SS 396 and wound up with an air-conditioned 1968 model that "was unacceptable in the teen world -- how can you blast a radio with the windows up?"
The soundtrack in Mattern's mind from that era includes "Summer in the City," "Wild Thing" and "Louie, Louie."
Bill Grossi, 56, remembers how when he was a kid his father got angry one time when he was trying to drive his family home from Kiddieland but got stuck in traffic. Teens had closed down the road for a drag race.
"It was amazing, truly amazing. The inmates were running the asylum," Grossi said laughing, adding that years later when he was a teenager, Skip's was still the place to be for him and his friends.
The non-stop crowds made for busy work shifts for Pagor and other waitresses, who were assigned a number each night and given a stack of thick plastic cards with that number to place on their customers' windshields. If a customer drove off with a number, waitresses were charged 50 cents for the loss. Stolen trays cost servers $1.50 apiece -- a hefty penalty for waitresses paid 10 cents a car plus tips, Pagor said.
She remembers management at Skip's being so strict that waitresses were not allowed to use the restroom before midnight. If waitresses were even five minutes late for a shift, managers would confiscate their paychecks, Pagor said.

Still, she thinks fondly of her three years of waiting on 200 cars a night at the popular hangout.
"I still remember this little boy who was in the back seat of a car. He kept popping up saying, 'My dad says you girls is tomatoes,'" Pagor said. "And the dad kept saying, 'Sit down and be quiet.'"
Although fans of Skip's remember the restaurant's heyday well, few can pinpoint its closing. Nielsen, its founder, died March 7, 1972. Business already had slowed, Pagor said, because drive-ins weren't as popular.
Not long after it closed, Skip's already was being memorialized. Pagor attended a Skip's reunion at the Kane County Fairgrounds in 1973, wearing her full uniform. Years after, Skip's regulars still drove in caravans to the McDonald's that replaced it, sometimes circling the drive-through without ordering anything, just to honor their old hangout.
The McDonald's manager who was able to talk when things calmed down said she'd never seen a caravan of Skip's fans in her seven years of working there. But if people did come back to remember, she said, she probably wouldn't know anyway.
"I don't live around here, I live in the city. I just drive here and go right back," she said.
Librarians at the Melrose Park Public Library do see fans of Skip's. At least once a month, someone comes in looking for a photo or newspaper clipping or anything to remind them of that time, said Barb Giordano, library director.
"Some of the older people, they just like to relive their youth and just remember times gone by, when life was a little easier," Giordano said.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:17 PM

Thanked 4,224 Times in 1,975 Posts

'

Looks like lots of info and pics online, try searching Google images.
Here's a few from after it closed, '72 Merc' in the 1'st two probably owned by the photographer.

~ Pete

Attached Images

Old 07-12-2018, 07:23 PM

Sure miss the drive inn's that were around here. Now it's all overpriced corporate garbage.

JMO Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to m22mike For This Useful Post:
seventieshow (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m22mike View Post
Sure miss the drive inn's that were around here. Now it's all overpriced corporate garbage.

JMO Mike
Not Skip's, but a nostalgic stop the wife and I made last Saturday was to "The Root Beer Stand" in Sharonville, Ohio
Attached Images

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation
Old 07-13-2018, 12:16 AM

Thanked 1,510 Times in 725 Posts

I never went to Skip's, but heard a lot about it years afterwards. In the 1980's, there was a guy - I believe his name was Joe Beleel or something like that - who promoted many car shows, cruise nights, etc. around the Chicago area using the "Skip's Fiesta Reunion" theme.

And, seriously, a male car hop???? I could easily envision someone like that being harassed unmercifully (or worse) in the 60's.

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60

Last edited by Bill Pritchard; 07-13-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:29 AM

On family vacations, we used to stop at a Dog&Suds on Hiway 67S between St Louis and Poplar Bluff Mo..was fantastic, had car hops etc..as an adult I would drive there for something to link to my past..and its been 25 years since Ive been there..last I heard..it was still there and still operating..I think the town was Cherokee Pass Mo...( just googled it..and its still there and operating..i need to get there before its gone...more of a truck stop now...looks ruff)

Last edited by marxjunk; 07-13-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:53 AM

Thanked 4,224 Times in 1,975 Posts

'

Here in Peterboro' Canada we had the Royal Burger, demolished about 20 yrs ago and replaced w/ a Dairy Queen.
Best menu items were their Milkshakes and Onion Rings also Hawaiian Delights/Deep fried pineapples.

~ Pete

Attached Images

Old 07-14-2018, 12:00 AM

Spent many Friday and Saturday nights at Skips…………. Great Memories ……

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 07-14-2018, 02:04 AM

In New Philadelphia, Ohio there is a cool place called Fundays Root Beer Stand which has been there since the 50s. You drive up and the waitresses come out to your car to take your orders.

Some old timers in the area told me this was the cruising place back in the day and they used to drag race down the street from there...

Rich