Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 04:14 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

I see two value peaks:

1985-1988...Killed by 1987 stock market crash and follow on gulf war economy.

2005-2008...killed by 2008 market collapse but this time not a drastic drop it has been more of a slow slide as guys kept their cars. I guess the other factor is the availability of performance to the masses during the gap period following 2008.

The difference being is that a regular car today driven by a soccer mom has the acceleration to stay with many of the average old gen 1 muscle cars on the street.
The Following User Says Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
GotGrunt (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 05:41 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

If it wasn't around when the 8tk tape player was,I don't want it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr70 For This Useful Post:
67BelAir427 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 05:46 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr70 View Post
If it wasn't around when the 8tk tape player was,I don't want it.

Yup...I may drive a new truck most business days...but when I park it, it's time for something old and nostalgic.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:03 PM

Something else.There seems to be a shortage of Nova SS cars.Maybe just my area but I have seached across the country.There seems to be more Camaro SS cars around then Novas.I'm selling my heap soon and I'm seaching for something else.I missed a L34 Nova SS that was triple black.It had a fresh 454 in it.It went for $19K.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
The difference being is that a regular car today driven by a soccer mom has the acceleration to stay with many of the average old gen 1 muscle cars on the street.
My daily driver is a big 4-door sedan that weighs 4,400 lbs. without me in it. It will consistently run bottom 12’s bone stock. It should crack into the 11’s in cooler weather but unfortunately I don’t live close enough to a track to go very often. It’s very reliable too, you don’t have to pop the hood for months at a time unless you’re checking the oil or cleaning under there. It also gets over 25 mpg on the highway. The good old days of muscle cars are right now. This has everything to do with the younger crowd not being interested in old cars. A lot of them don’t know how to work on them, most don’t know what a timing light or carburetor is. Why should you when you can buy a turn key 9/10/11/12 second car straight off the showroom floor.

This was last year when englishtown was still open:

https://youtu.be/0ZAYjxCinNk
Old 07-15-2018, 06:38 PM

I've always subscribed to the theory that Musclecar prices began to escalate in the '80's when the current offerings of that dark era were just kinda lame when compared to the cars of 10-15 years ago. People were of the mindset that the glorious Musclecars of the '60's & '70's were long gone and weren't coming back. Well, guess what? They did come back and folks were & are able to buy hyper-fast Corvettes, Z/28 & ZL1 Camaros, Hemi Challengers, Hellcats, Boss Mustangs, etc. without worrying about spending crazy money on a 50-year old car that may-or-may-not have had substantial rust repair, it's original block popping on E-Bay when you thought you bought a #'s matching car, no A/C on big horse stuff which makes the car less than enjoyable by many people's spouses, etc. The new cars have A/C, nice stereos, retro styling, they're faster, more economical, safer, warrantied, and basically do everything better than their old counterparts. Sure, there'll always be hardcore guys like me in dwindling numbers that like the rawness of the old stuff but I can certainly understand the appeal of the great new stuff!

Last edited by markjohnson; 07-15-2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: .
The Following User Says Thank You to markjohnson For This Useful Post:
GotGrunt (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:01 PM

Thanked 1,990 Times in 637 Posts

I believe the present and future value of muscle cars boils down to memories and most kids today don't have many fond memories about the cars we love because they can't afford them now and haven't been able to for quite a while. I grew up in the 80's and barely caught the end of the days of a kid being able to afford a muscle car on a budget. My first car was a beat up 1970 Chevelle SS 396 without a motor or transmission that I bought for $250. Bought a beat up 69 Caprice with a 396/TH400 for another $275 and had a cheap car paid for by a summer of de-tasseling corn.

While there are younger people that enjoys classic muscle cars there just aren't enough of them to keep prices going up forever as the supply appears to have met the demand. That being said I still think the best cars will continue to bring the best money since the demand for any Yenko, Shelby or Hemi car isn't going away anytime soon.

My three kids like old cars, I believe, because I take them and their friends out for rides whenever they want and even let the girls drive them now and then. I even encourage them to "get on it" from time to time when if there's no one else around on the road and its safe. My youngest daughter loves driving my 69 Grand Prix and says it rides and drives better than her 2006 HHR. My son, who's only 12, can't wait to get his drivers license because he already knows he's going to get to drive them too. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that others do the same and the fire will continue to burn.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:02 PM

Time may march on but I look at it this way. There is a fixed supply of truly great cars with a growing money supply. If you have a great car, I believe that its value will increase over time.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:12 PM

A lot of great input on this subject . Being in the business i think car prices are relatively strong for the most part . This will always hold ground , good cars always trade for good money . KP
The Following User Says Thank You to KENNY PASCOE For This Useful Post:
purple panther (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:42 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
Yes. The supply and demand slide has started. The kids that used to buy our generation of cars have no practical recollection of driving gen one muscle cars on the street and the comparative high resale prices (since about the mid 1980's) for most of our cars - have kept the kids from developing the kind of emotional bond we have.
It is not just the muscle cars here according to the business Insider value trend analysis for collector cars in general-the market has absolutely tanked.

I believe muscle cars were affected the least however.