Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default CV 746 C PCV valve differences

Does anybody know when the transition from the heavy steel to the stamped steel on these pcv valves took place? I have multiple different styles of these and thought I had a reasonably good idea of what was correct until I came across a style I didn't know existed.

I was under the impression that the heavy steel without the raised upper half was correct for 69 vehicles and that the stamped steel (dyed purple) ones were 70-up until I received this last one. I got it from a guy who had a 69 Corvette L88 car that took delivery on it in March of 69. He upon delivery transformed it into a drag car ( what he ordered it for ) and the emissions stuff was all removed day 1.

This valve which was with a bunch of parts he removed from the car seems to be a combination of sorts of both styles. It has the remnants of the purple dye on the bottom, (unfortunately a buddy started cleaning it before I saw it and stopped him) and although a different style from the earlier heavy machined pcv's I have it still has a thicker and heavier top than the later stamped steel ones I have with a slightly different profile.

I know when I showed a 69 Z28 at MCACN the gentleman judging felt the silver colored machined one was correct for it (also a March of 69 built car) but now I wonder if that's not necessarily true? Anybody have any thoughts?

The pcv in the center is the style I'm questioning for 69, it has some purple dye still on the bottom that I would think it was completely covered with like the 70-up style to it's left. The machined style to the right is in a box dated July of 68 and my earliest dated box for the stamped style is 71.
Thanks, Chris
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-31-2015, 01:58 PM

Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,598 Posts
Default Re: CV 746 C PCV valve differences

----Chris,,,Bet that L88 was Monaco Orange! Do you know where the car is today. I bought its L88 twin from his best friend in 72/73. That one is in Scottsdale painted black. Mine was bought for extremely high speed highway cruising. There was an extra pumpkin next to the car that had a mid 2s gearset in it. Owner wanted to be able to run 180ish on the Mass Pike.
----Sorry I cant help you with the PCV question.....Bill S
Old 01-31-2015, 03:15 PM

Hi Bill,
You are 100% correct! Yes I do know where it is today. I kind of thought you'd pick up on the subtle reference to the car as I knew you had the other car at one time. The guy who works with me sold it a few years back and far as I know it's @ Corvette Repair with Kevin Mackay in NY. You had Ricky's car that he ordered alongside Clarkies L88 from Crown Chevrolet in Framingham. Ricky was crazy as you were told his goal in life was to break the sound barrier on the street while Dick set his sights on the 1/4 mile.
Hopefully one of the 69 Z guys will chime in on the pcv issue as I'm pretty positive the one in the center pic is the one that was delivered in the L88 and it kind of goes against what I've been told came in 69's.
Chris
Old 01-31-2015, 03:32 PM

Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,169 Posts

I have seen conflicting info on these. Unfortunately, there are so few PCV valves that survived, as it was included in most "standard" tune ups of the day.

JohnZ may still have the original in his FG Z. Charlie may still have the original in his low mile 70 Z. I know it isn't a 69, but it would be nice to see which valve that car has.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:52 PM

i had a friend that used to pursue these and the first pic..the one on the far right is the one that consistently brought 3 or 4 times the money the others brought...every time..i would say its the one that most people consider correct..but i dont know im no expert..
Old 01-31-2015, 03:58 PM

Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,169 Posts

3 or 4 times?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1967-71-CORV...c6a&vxp=mtr
Old 01-31-2015, 11:10 PM

i didnt want to exaggerate..if i said he got 800 to a grand each, no one would have believed me...

he was getting 4 or 5 hundred for nice used originals

unfortunately hes pushing up daisies ...and all of that knowledge went with him...
Old 02-01-2015, 06:39 PM

I received this picture from Mark Bulaw from an 01B Van Nuys built 69 Z28.
Thanks Mark!
This helps . I'm hoping someone may have a reference point to the one in the middle as that seems to be a bit of a hybrid of the 2 well known styles.
Chris
Old 02-03-2015, 08:33 PM

Chris, What you have in the middle is what I "Thought" to have been used sometime mid 69 (which is consistent with your L88 story) I have one just like yours and I have noticed the Font is a little narrower (look at the CV compared to the one on the left) I believe that is and production line part not over the counter.
Rich
Old 02-03-2015, 08:43 PM

Hi Rich,
Thanks for responding. What I'm really trying to find out besides timeframe usage is if these were purple dyed, unlike the earlier machined style pcv's. Mine was definitely purple.
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Ls6 Ragtop For This Useful Post:
ronzz572 (08-06-2021)