Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 03-30-2020, 06:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 1969 camaro nos fender fitment

I thought that I read somewhere in the forum that there was an issue with the fitment of 69 Camaro NOS fenders up by the windshield but can't seem to find anything now. The car will be painted soon and I don't want any surprises. Is there anything to worry about? Thank you!
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-30-2020, 06:43 PM

depends on the decade the fenders where stamped..ive never had an issue at the cowl..itsa always at the door..they are welded wrong and stick out further than the door..theres no fixing it with out cutting the brace loose getting on the car and setting it to the car, tack it a take apart and weld it up...

ive never had an early fender..but ive had a bunch of later stampings..i used to fix a lot of 69 camaros in the 80-90s..ive never had a fender fit right..some cars ya roll with it..some cars ya need to fix it..

i always and mean always mock the car up before i even think about jambing and painting..always
Old 03-30-2020, 07:20 PM

Thanked 4,476 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
depends on the decade the fenders where stamped..ive never had an issue at the cowl..itsa always at the door..they are welded wrong and stick out further than the door..theres no fixing it with out cutting the brace loose getting on the car and setting it to the car, tack it a take apart and weld it up...

ive never had an early fender..but ive had a bunch of later stampings..i used to fix a lot of 69 camaros in the 80-90s..ive never had a fender fit right..some cars ya roll with it..some cars ya need to fix it..

i always and mean always mock the car up before i even think about jambing and painting..always
Why couldn't a person move the leading edge of the door outboard to match?

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
Old 03-30-2020, 08:05 PM

You loose the weather strip seal and wind noise..most of the fender fits..its the pointed body line that hangs out..not the whole fender..its pretty bad on most ive done
Old 03-30-2020, 09:50 PM

Thanked 1,111 Times in 633 Posts

I bought my fenders around '89 and they needed work to get them to fit. It's been so long now that I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but I believe the bracket that bolts to the firewall had to be moved about 1/4 to 1/2 inch so that the fender would move back far enough.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:27 PM

Default fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post

yes i find lots of 1969 fenders hard to fit i have work on a fender 2-3 hours to make it fit right
Old 03-31-2020, 01:08 PM

Thank you everyone. The fenders fit great at the doors. I will have to find out what he did. I thought that there might be a problem with the lower windshield molding fitting at the top of the new fenders. Appreciate the imput!
Old 03-31-2020, 01:46 PM

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

Double check for fender droop at the front of the fender. I don't have any pics but it's a common problem that is really annoying once you see it. Sauron on CRG probably has pics.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:42 PM

Thanked 2,113 Times in 664 Posts

The fender droop is easy to fix. Install the fender w/o extension, brace a block of wood in the opening. Floor jack the block until the droop is straight. By '88 when we did the '67 Z/28, RH fenders were so poorly formed they wouldn't fit on the cowl.

Sold many new GM parts back in my CPX days '83-'97. Fender fit was only one of many quality problems. '67 Camaro fender emblems were bent, '69 rally-sport emblems clear coated over dirt, '69 SS emblems painted the wrong color. '68-'69 Camaro console lid was awful. '70-'72 Chevelle fender moldings were wrinkled. They also freely substituted parts-order '68 Z/28 rocker covers and they sent '69s; '69 Camaro 396 badges were swapped for '70 Nova. The deep-groove alternator pulley was neither fish nor fowl; an incorrectly plated '67 w/o part number. In general, all chrome was awful.

Be very careful with NOS parts.
Xplantdad (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 04:48 PM

I have a NOS Nova front bumper with awful chrome.
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.
The Following User Says Thank You to L78steve For This Useful Post:
ban617 (07-03-2020)