Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,003 Posts
Default Re: bogus 1969 435 car comming up at barrett jackson

original thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 04-09-2009, 02:14 AM

Thanked 1,846 Times in 751 Posts

It always helps to do your homework on a car. I've been guilty of moving too quickly on a car or getting caught up in the "thrill". Sometimes someone has an excuse as to why they don't have a picture of a pad or paperwork or some critical item and you drive hundreds of miles to look at something that isn't what you expect it to be.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend met this guy named john wallace at barrett jackson a few years ago...

[/ QUOTE ]

By any chance is John Wallace a Corvette dealer in the Midwest?

"...at this point in my life, every day is a Saturday".
Old 04-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,144 Posts

Unless there's a legal reason why not to, threads like this should always include the complete Vin posted in an uncluttered format as in Vin 194679S700001 not Vin194679S700001.
At least someone doing their homework and Googling the Vin before purchase has a fair chance of finding out the truth before it's too late..

Is this the correct Vin of the subject car...mods please remove if necessary?.

Vin 194679S709381

~ Pete
Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last I knew it was in AZ...I'm sure by now it is born with.

[/ QUOTE ]

That quote cracks me up...

'69 Z/28 Yellow/Aug '07 CHP cover car
'70 Z/28 R/S Orange/Jan '08 CHP featured car
'70 Chevelle SS454 LS-5 Red/Jan '11 CHP cover car
Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 PM

thats the vin
Old 04-10-2009, 05:23 AM

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
.... how do they get past the inspectors at the auctions who check them for authenticity? ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Common misconception. There are no "inspectors" who check for authenticity.

Link to the BJ description: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicati...=04%2f09%2f2009

I don't remember if it was posted here, or if I read the entire BJ bidder agreement at their web site a couple of years ago. Clearly, under the terms of terms of the bidder agreement, ALL of the responsibility for representation (or misrepresentation) is on the seller, not BJ.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:30 AM

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts

OK, here is the part I was looking for. Copied from a BJ bidder agreement. In other words, do your own homework, and have the car inspected.

1. LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMERS:
(A) Each Lot is consigned to Barrett-Jackson by the seller shown on the Consignment Agreement
(“Seller”). Each Lot is sold “AS IS - WHERE IS”, with all faults and defects, and with all errors of
description. Buyer understands that (i) any and all information concerning any Lot is provided by
Seller; (ii) Barrett-Jackson does not make any representations or express any opinions of its own
concerning any Lot; and (iii) Barrett-Jackson does not examine any Lot or any component of any
Lot, research the title documents or the provenance of the Lot or verify any information provided by
Seller, nor does Barrett-Jackson undertake any duty to do any of the foregoing for the benefit of Buyer
or anyone else. Buyer acknowledges that Barrett-Jackson’s only duty toward Buyer is to transfer the
Lot to Buyer “AS-IS - WHERE IS”, upon full performance by Buyer under this Agreement and at the
times specified in this Agreement. Except with regard to such duty, Buyer hereby waives and releases
Barrett-Jackson from and against any claim, demand, liability, or expense of any kind arising out of
or related to the Lot, expressly including without limitation any assertions of negligence (including
negligent misrepresentation) or breach of warranty. Buyer agrees not to join Barrett-Jackson as a
defendant in any action or proceeding arising directly or indirectly out of the condition of the Lot or any
alleged representations concerning the Lot, and further agrees to look solely to Seller with respect to
such matters. If Buyer fails to comply with this provision, Buyer agrees to reimburse Barrett-Jackson
for all costs, expenses and fees, including attorney fees, in defense of such clams.
(B) Barrett-Jackson disclaims all warranties, express or implied, concerning the Lot, including the
warranties of merchantability or fitness for any particular purpose(s). Buyer represents that the
amounts bid for any Lot are based solely on Buyer’s own independent inspection and evaluation
of that Lot. As a material inducement to this agreement: (i) Buyer has undertaken to make his own
examination of any Lot before bidding; and (ii) assumes all risk of any non-conformities in any
Lot. Buyer further acknowledges that he has not relied upon any assumptions regarding Barrett-
Jackson’s knowledge concerning the Lot or the Seller nor upon any oral or written representations by
Barrett-Jackson, including without limitation any representations as to condition, year or age, serial
or identification number, make, model, mileage, equipment, genuineness or authenticity, originality,
previous use or ownership, manufacturing or restoration processes of any Lot or any component of any
Lot. Finally, Buyer acknowledges that his invocation of the mediation provisions set forth in Section
5(B) below does not create any warranties, express or implied, and that Barrett-Jackson shall have no
liability to Buyer or Seller as a result of its facilitation of any mediation.
(C) All Statements contained in any catalogs, brochures or advertisements of any type pertaining to
the sale, including without limitation any statements concerning condition, genuineness or authenticity,
origin or provenance, previous use or ownership, manufacturing or restoration processes, year or
age, serial number, make, model or mileage of any Lot or of any component of any Lot, are either
expressions of opinion or are for ease of identification only, and they are not to be relied upon by Buyer
as representations of fact. Buyer assumes all risks associated with any nonconformity of any Lot or
any component of any Lot and, as a condition of Buyer’s participation in the auction, Buyer represents
that he will conduct any inspections and examination necessary to satisfy himself of all material facts
before making any bid.
(D) Neither Barrett-Jackson, nor Seller, nor any agent, employee or representative of Barrett-Jackson
or Seller, has given or authorized any other person to give any oral or written affirmation, representation,
warranty or guarantee concerning any Lot. In any event, Barrett-Jackson assumes no liability for
any affirmations, representations, warranties or guarantees made by Seller to Buyer.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:30 AM

i dont know. i would think barrett jackson would want to be known as a very thorough and meticulous company. i would think that they would want to be sure what they are selling as the "real deal" really is. I am not a fan of barrett jackson i was before all the shill bidding on the rebodied reggie jackson car. i mean fraud is fraud and in my eyes if they sell the car as 1969 #435 car well then they should be just as responsible for the crime. i know these cars still belong to the previous owners untill they are bought but just to be legit they should have them verified. i know if a buddy of mine was selling a bogus car and i were helping him unknowingly i would be upset when i found out and with my luck nobody would trust my judgement again. its simply my opinion. its like a guy saying hes elvis and i go along with his story and start charging people to see the real elvis only to find out the guys a lying sack of crap. im now an accessary to a crime. people lost money and when i look a judge in the face and say "well, i didnt know" hes gonna tell me maybe you should have checked into it before you charged people to see him. in my eyes b/j is just as guilty.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:53 PM

It seems as if BJ is paying for some of it's prior auctions (antics) as I see very few nice cars going thru their auction this time. Very different then the lineup for the Mecum auction in May. Although there will always be the uneducated buyer, it seems like most people are catching on.