Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-10-2009, 03:37 PM

Default Re: bogus 1969 435 car comming up at barrett jackson

i hope they all come back to bite them. these vehicles should be proven for autheticity before they are sold. i'd have to if i were selling it . why shouldnt they?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Default Re: bogus 1969 435 car comming up at barrett jacks

[ QUOTE ]
It seems as if BJ is paying for some of it's prior auctions (antics) as I see very few nice cars going thru their auction this time. Very different then the lineup for the Mecum auction in May. Although there will always be the uneducated buyer, it seems like most people are catching on.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with this, let's keep in mind, the PB auction hasn't typically attracted the best cars since it's inception. This years line-up looks similar to the previous auctions at this event...unfortunately.

Mike
Old 04-10-2009, 04:49 PM

West Palm Beach, Florida: Midway through Friday's collector car sale, representatives of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) forced Barrett-Jackson to stop the sale of certain cars from the GM Heritage Fleet. Our sources tell us that this order from NHTSA was completely unexpected; Barrett-Jackson and GM have been extremely careful to note, in written material posted on the cars, which GM cars are sold on "salvage titles" or similar, and cannot be registered. Apparently, despite this, NHTSA is concerned that someone "might try" to register the cars for the street.

GM and Barrett-Jackson are attempting to resolve this so that the cars, which have been heavily publicized and have drawn bidders from across the nation, can be sold. Unfortunately, discussions are hampered by the fact that the relevant NHTSA offices are closed for the day, and reportedly will be closed tomorrow as well.

For updates, go to the Barrett-Jackson web site, www.barrett-jackson.com

66 GTO, Tri power, Fact. A/C, 4 speed
65 Corvette, L-76, Conv., Fact. A/C
63 Corvette SWC
Old 04-10-2009, 04:53 PM

OK
"BJ does not examine any Lot or any component of any Lot, research the title documents or the provenance of the Lot or verify any information provided by
Seller, nor does BJ undertake any duty to do any of the foregoing for the benefit of Buyer
or anyone else. Buyer acknowledges that B-J’s only duty toward Buyer is to transfer the the
Lot to Buyer “AS-IS - WHERE IS ,THAT = to about 1% for services rendered
buyer pays 10% seller pays 8% so what does the 18% get you from BJ -- BS
Old 04-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

Barrett-Jackson brings together a thousand cars for people to shop from. They advertise the heck out of them. There is no way for them to do a complete exam on each car. They do refund money and charge the seller both commissions if the buyer shows that the seller mis-represented the car. If they are warned ahead of time about a car such as this Vette they will probably do something but we can't expect them to take a car apart looking at hidden vins, research history etc.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,174 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Barrett-Jackson brings together a thousand cars for people to shop from. They advertise the heck out of them. There is no way for them to do a complete exam on each car. They do refund money and charge the seller both commissions if the buyer shows that the seller mis-represented the car. If they are warned ahead of time about a car such as this Vette they will probably do something but we can't expect them to take a car apart looking at hidden vins, research history etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I would LIKE to say BJ OUGHT to be responsible for authenticating every car, Charley is exactly right. There is no way it can be done. Unfortunately, some of the "green" buyers don't realize that, and that is where the problems have come from. I don't know that it is fair to expect BJ to do more than they have done in the past when a car is misrepresented. Buyer is made whole.

BJ is providing a valuable service. Frauds and fakes will always be part of the game when there is money involvoed, same as the art and antique business.

JMHO.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
West Palm Beach, Florida: Midway through Friday's collector car sale, representatives of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) forced Barrett-Jackson to stop the sale of certain cars from the GM Heritage Fleet. Our sources tell us that this order from NHTSA was completely unexpected; Barrett-Jackson and GM have been extremely careful to note, in written material posted on the cars, which GM cars are sold on "salvage titles" or similar, and cannot be registered. Apparently, despite this, NHTSA is concerned that someone "might try" to register the cars for the street.

GM and Barrett-Jackson are attempting to resolve this so that the cars, which have been heavily publicized and have drawn bidders from across the nation, can be sold. Unfortunately, discussions are hampered by the fact that the relevant NHTSA offices are closed for the day, and reportedly will be closed tomorrow as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just can't make this stuff up fast enough. Now Big Brother is going to say you can't buy a car with a salvage title because of something a buyer "might try" to do??

I've never been a "black helicopters" guy, but we keep getting closer and closer to communism.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Thanked 1,042 Times in 331 Posts

Looks like the "issues" have been resolved.

After holding a Press Conference announcing that 80 of the GM vehicles were being pulled from the auction, they have now apparently resolved the issues and all of the cars in question are back up for auction.

Bashton
www.mcacn.com
Old 04-11-2009, 12:05 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You just can't make this stuff up fast enough. Now Big Brother is going to say you can't buy a car with a salvage title because of something a buyer "might try" to do??

I've never been a "black helicopters" guy, but we keep getting closer and closer to communism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of the time in college when the local "assistant deputy" pulled me over in my Camaro while I was driving 20 mph in a 25 mph zone, plodding along behind a garbage truck. He wrote me a ticket for the newly invented crime of "attempted speeding". He said if the garbage truck had not been in front of me at the time, then I would have definitely been exceeding the posted speed limit.

It turns out he had just been yelled at by his chief for doing stupid stuff and decided he had to vent his anger at someone.

I called the chief and asked him if he wanted to take care of this ticket or should I call my lawyer in NYC and the local media. The chief said he'd take care of the ticket. Mr. "assistant deputy" was never seen again in that town.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:17 AM

Default Re: bogus 1969 435 car comming up at barrett jackson

If you guys are into Big Block Vettes. This just poped up for the first time on Alaska craigslist yesterday. I looked at this car last year, when I was bought a 70 camaro from this guy. He wasn't selling the corvette yet, then.
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/1113836341.html

He could have at least washed the volcano ash off of it.