Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-15-2006, 06:15 AM

Default synthetic oil comparison

Does anyone have any current comparisons between Royal Purple, Mobil One, Amsoil, Redline, etc.?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-15-2006, 06:38 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: synthitic oil comparison

I hate to hijack your thread, but this is on topic…

I recently talked with my mechanic about gas prices and related topics. He said in all the muscle cars and a drag cars coming through the shop, he has been changing the oil with diesel truck oil because of its high levels of viscosity. When I asked why not a 5w50 or 10w40, he said that increased levels of ethanol in the regular car oil is making these hi-compression engines run like junk and in an extreme case, he has seen a cam shaft go bad on race car.

I thought this was interesting. Now back to you Tim.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:36 AM

Dan, I've been using Royal Purple with good results with my Chevelles. Reher Morrison recommended Royal Purple to me. On my regular use vehicles I use Mobil One also with good results and no problems. I could not find any fairly recent comparisons on the net. The older comparisons that I found showed excellent results for Amsoil. By the way my Dad used Rotella T on his tripoli turquoise '68 L78 Chevelle with great results in 1968. The results were 12.20s on street tires, stock with the mufflers pulled off the exhaust pipes with the stock exhaust manifolds. This was at the now closed Laplace Drag Strip in Laplace, La. Also, Dad said that his car was a California car with the emmissions that was also taken off by him. He said that his Chevelle always ran better than other comparable '68 Chevelles. He seemed to think that something was different about the performance of his California emissions equiped car.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:39 AM

Charlie Lilliard, What are you using on your cars, in particular the original Zl-1 and your high performance pro-touring cars?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:27 PM

I've been using Amsoil (Service spec SJ-CF) in all my vehicles for years. Used oil analysis shows it works well in my late model cars and even in my girlfriends 05 Camry.

A number of well respected engine builders (read NASCAR) are suggesting Rotella 15W40 in early model muscle cars. Yep, diesel oil.

A excellent website on this topic is: www.bobistheoilguy.com. Good info there that all of us 'gear heads' can use.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:38 AM

Default Re: synthetic oil comparison

Charlie Lilliard, Check this thread out. I'm trying to compare Royal purple to Amsoil. Any help would be appreciated. Rob Clary, what are you running in the Yenko? Thanks guys
Old 07-04-2006, 05:53 PM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

Ok so I'm slow getting here. I'm running Mobil 1 in my go fast stuff mainly because it is in the store on the shelves as opposed to Amsoil or Royal Purple. I worked as a mechanic on a farm for years and we used Rotella in damn near everything.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any current comparisons between Royal Purple, Mobil One, Amsoil, Redline, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO you should be careful and discuss this with your engine builder before making any changes. Every engine has different tolerances. A few years ago I flattened a solid roller cam soon after looking for a few more horsepower with synthetic oil.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:22 PM

My best friend is a master race engine builder with Penske South racing and he swears by Mobil 1, he runs it in everything, and he gets it for me, for free, and I run it in everything I own, and its great stuff, tried and true!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:01 PM

You will get a lot of opinions here. I have used Castrol for 20 years or so. When I realized it really wasn't green anymore I was not that interested like I was. I have been using Pennzoil and Castrol in my 69 Z for 5 years now but next oil change and from here on out I am using Rotella T. I really don't like additives so I think Rotella is the right oil. Diesel oil always had better lubricant properties in it. I have over 140,000 on my 1998 GMC pickup and always ran Castrol or Pennzoil every 4000 miles. I use a quart about every 2000 miles depends on my driving. (10W40) So who really But I bought Rotella T for the next Z/28 change.