Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 02-15-2016, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Mike Dunn: Pres of IHRA

Not really. In this day and age she needs to give up the chip on her shoulder. Females are accepted. I have no problem saying she can KILL a tree, no doubt. As a two time champ she has proved her worth. Shirley Muldowney paved the way and put up with all the crap, even Connie Kallita. The interview did not help. Also tired of Greg Anderson crying about Pro Stock changes. Get over it or get out. He has made a good life from that sport, A few years back Pro Stock had image issues and they were addressed. Progress and technology have pushed Warren and Kurt Johnson from full time competition. I had been involved with parading the drag racing legends for years and they are all slowly going away. I look at my picture of Bud Faubel and I and miss the past. Have had Sox, Nichalso, Grump all in our cars over the years. I do not like the changes NHRA made but I love racing and the sport and see they will get through this time.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Old 02-18-2016, 03:39 PM

Me and my boys are planning to check out IHRA - solely because we miss Mike Dunn!

We are big EE fans, so we won't abandon NHRA Pro Stock (our favorite class), but keep in mind that the persona that the drivers show on camera is rarely their true personality. If you spend the time at their trailers, they (collectively!) have all spent time with us - even taking us into the hospitality area, into the race trailers (Del Worsham when driving for Al-Anabi), or just showing us the cars. The ticket is to have a kid with you - and make sure he has a Jr Dragster t-shirt on!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] I never got a second look till I showed with a few kids who race Jr's! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 02-18-2016, 06:53 PM

I can not remember when the track I worked at went IHRA. I think around 1999. It was after the Bader family bought it. It was more laid back and had its ties to Summit Racing as a points sponsor and contingencies to help with expenses. We did all the same things but with less problems. We started and developed the TCR class. My son ran it in a 1985 Monte Carlos SS I bought from the second owner for $1,400. He also ran my first 1969 Camaro. It was a reasonable way to get kids into racing. I am a racing fan now because of all the technology and work put into it. I do not agree with street racing but absolutely respect what those guys are doing and have chosen to go in a different direction as to how they want to race. Kids are the future of everything. The sport has to somehow figure out how to get there attention and keep it. I go in cycles. I go a few years and burn out. I sold my car and walked away. Now I bought another car and will eventually be back. I spent the day working on a Friday night bracket car. 489 inch 65 Nova. Makes 660hp on pump gas. turns 66 to 6800 through the traps. We have 3 years, 600 runs on the last rebuild. It is time to go over it well. The combo has over 1,000 runs on it and has only dropped a valve when it was 8 months old. I am an addict and cant get away from it. I love the science and the physics
Old 02-18-2016, 09:47 PM

The major tracks in Australia are now under IHRA sanction with a new series as our other sanctioning body, ANDRA are a disaster and have been for a very long time. I'm glad I sold my stuff when I did.

http://autoaction.com.au/australian-...-spilts-again/