Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 03-22-2024, 11:54 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,629 Times in 840 Posts

Looks fantastic!
2013 Corvette Grand Sport 60th Anniversary
-Delivered to Bill Jacobs Chevrolet, Joliet, IL
NCRS#66003

“Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don’t.”-Pete Seeger

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 03-22-2024, 12:30 PM

Thanked 1,844 Times in 750 Posts

Bill, the 12 mile 1967 L88 chassis was painted white. I know of another low mile C2 Corvette with a chassis painted a strange color. Those cars were my guide to cleaning this one.
Old 03-22-2024, 02:34 PM

Thanked 3,783 Times in 1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG View Post
I purchased this Corvette from a friend that's on this site. Tim did a great job of representing the car and I was very happy when it arrived. One thing he made clear was that sometime in its life the entire undercarriage was painted orange and to correct this, someone painted black over the orange. This sounded like a nightmare, but I liked the car so much, I moved forward.

Here are some before and after of the chassis after 80 hours and lots of paint stripper, lacquer thinner, steel wool and mineral spirits. Everything took four coats of stripper to get the black and orange off. I was able to preserve much of the originality of the chassis.

Ice blasting would have been easier, but I figured it would have cost about $4,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block Bill View Post
Tim,

I remember the story of the 12 mile 1967 L-88 that had the whole underneath painted white when David Burroughs got it out of Lincoln Auto Parts. Painting the underside of a Corvette must have been the thing to do back then.

Bill
----Bill,,, Dave B didn't liberate the 12 mile Corvette from L.A.P.. I won't mention the name but a guy from Minnesota did. It then went to an old friend of mine in Wisconsin, Bob Adams. Went thru (I think) 2 more people. Classic motors was squeezed in there as well. Dave B and his partner, Jim K ended up with it around this time. I'm pretty sure the NOS L88 engine came from Terry M. My partner in Red Alert, Terry Carney (RIP), went to Washington state and got the title to it for Jerome S, a very good customer of ours at Classic Motors and a great guy. Somewhere early in this story the car had a bunch of parts replaced with incorrect stuff. Nothing big or too important, but it was a really shady thing to do. Stuff like the original shifter, throttle pedal, clutch and brake pedal covers, and so on. I saw all the incorrect stuff the day we went to Jeromes to look at the car. Just wanted to sort of set the record straight. Dave B did do his usual masterul job of bringing the car back to life, while leaving as much originality as possible. You may remember that the drivers door was not adjusted well at the factory and Dave left that alone as an example. I think the door remains that way to this day...Bill S

Last edited by olredalert; 03-23-2024 at 02:03 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olredalert For This Useful Post:
dykstra (03-22-2024), L_e_e (03-22-2024), RPOLS3 (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 04:01 PM

Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,390 Posts

As expected from a true fanatic, the result is astounding. I was drawn to that car like moth to flame when I saw it in Rochester. I was so surprised/excited when Tim WI announced he had bought it. The color combo, other than the black top, is about my favorite for that year. Knowing it came with white and you are correcting that makes it perfect.

My question is, at what point during this process did you question your sanity for NOT taking it for dry ice blasting... I feel certain that thought went thru the gray matter, maybe more than once. Been there, done that with processes I should have jobbed out.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 03-22-2024, 04:17 PM

Mitch, I have a friend that used Ice Blasting and they were a bit too agressive on a nice original '67. I wanted to control the porcess and I wanted to keep the cost in line. The sweat equity really bonds me to a car when I revive a chassis. I have a 17000 mile 1970 to approach next. It was undercoated from new and will be much like this project.

I questioned my sanity after working on the left rear for 10 hours one weekend and seeing good results, but wondering if I could get the same results on the rest of the car.
I can still go back and find more to do if I look. Everything was orange/black, control arms, front and rear springs, wheel wells, sway bars, half shafts, splash shields. The worst part was removing the gloss black paint to see bright orange, I felt worse as I progressed to see more orange.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TimG For This Useful Post:
dykstra (03-22-2024), L_e_e (03-22-2024), napa68 (03-22-2024), olredalert (03-22-2024), RPOLS3 (03-22-2024), Too Many Projects (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 04:53 PM

----Tim,,,I feel like I might have hijacked your thread a bit. Hope it's OK? What a masterful job you did on this 67. Don't think I could have done it. Just really super cool!....Bill S
Old 03-22-2024, 05:07 PM

Bill, not at all, you know I value your input. I enjoy hearing about the 12 mile L88 and Jerome S. I still have the June 1982 Hemmings with that car and other amazing cars for sale in a full page add.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG View Post
Bill, not at all, you know I value your input. I enjoy hearing about the 12 mile L88 and Jerome S. I still have the June 1982 Hemmings with that car and other amazing cars for sale in a full page add.
----I believe that was the issue and add that caused IRS problems for Jerome (RIP). We are in contact with his son who is just as nice a guy as Jerome and a real car guy. Don't see him often as he has a restraunt in Wisconsin, and we all know how many hours a very succesful restraunt takes up!....Bill S

Last edited by olredalert; 03-23-2024 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
----Bill,,, Dave B didn't liberate the 12 mile Corvette from L.A.P.. I won't mention the name but a guy from Minnesota did. It then went to an old friend of mine in Wisconsin, Bob Adams. Went thru (I think) 2 more people. Classic motors was squeezed in there as well. Dave B and his partner, Jim K ended up with it around this time. I'm pretty sure the NOS L88 engine came from Terry M. My partner in Red Alert, Terry Carney (RIP), went to Washington state and got the title to it for Jerome S, a very good customer of ours at Classic Motors and a great guy. Somewhere early in this story the car had a bunch of parts replaced with incorrect stuff. Nothing big or too important, but it was a really shady thing to do. Stuff like the original shifter, throttle pedal, clutch and brake pedal covers, and so on. I saw all the incorrect stuff the day we went to Jeromes to look at the car Just wanted to sort of set the record straight. Dave B did do his usual masterul job of bringing the car back to life, while leaving as much originality as possible. You may remember that the drivers door was not adjusted well at the factory and Dave left that alone as an example. I think the door remains that way to this day...Bill S
Thanks for the correction Bill I found the article in Corvette News 1976 where I first read about it. Even in this article "The Customer in Minnesota" name is not mentioned. I have included the photo of I believe the 12 mile car from BG 1999 along side my 67 Benchmark Lynndale Roadster. Interesting story. Bill
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Big Block Bill For This Useful Post:
dykstra (03-22-2024), napa68 (03-22-2024), olredalert (03-23-2024), ragtop (03-22-2024), Roger M (03-22-2024), RPOLS3 (03-22-2024)