Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 09-01-2020, 05:01 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

That brown I've seen. Which is different from the red that shows up in 70+.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:51 AM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

This thread is interesting. Very enjoyable.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:07 PM

Graeme, some gray primer going on mine now

Name:  GrayPrimer.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  55.8 KB
Old 09-09-2020, 12:46 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

That's awesome Rob.

I was out working in the shop all weekend and didn't see this until now. Any more pics?
Old 09-09-2020, 01:07 PM

Hey Graeme - I was at the shop yesterday. It's about 3 weeks into the project now. They did a lot of the disassembly also like the subframe, motor, glass, etc. That was a good decision for me. The body is on the rotisserie getting some small issues fixed. I"m having them do two hoods. The flat hood iss correct for the car and will come home wearing it. The cowl hood was added by the original owner.

Name:  rotisserie .jpg
Views: 796
Size:  148.6 KB

Name:  Flat.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  Cowl.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  41.0 KB
The Following User Says Thank You to rlw68 For This Useful Post:
NorCam (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m22mike View Post
My understanding was LOS/VAN Nuys cars were all gray primer. Norwood body , red oxide then gray. I do not believe the front clips got the red oxide, just gray ? In the first picture the trunk lid was closed when the gray primer was applied.
Third shot is a LOS car, no red primer.
Also , as mentioned, the first gen assy process by John Hinkley is a must read.
Not sure exactly what year and car models you are talking about. I checked my 72 Nova SS, it is a Van Nuys built California car and has the red oxide primer inside the fenders, and back seat support brace you can see inside the trunk. So maybe not all cars used the gray primer as you stated.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RALLY View Post
Not sure exactly what year and car models you are talking about. I checked my 72 Nova SS, it is a Van Nuys built California car and has the red oxide primer inside the fenders, and back seat support brace you can see inside the trunk. So maybe not all cars used the gray primer as you stated.
Mostly, the reference was to 1969 Camaro models, Norwood built cars and how they were painted, but that discussion has expanded a little into other plants and timelines. I was looking for constants in how the 69 cars were painted and learned a lot from this discussion. My next thing on my list is dialing in the stripe measurements and painting the trunk in a factory like finish.

Last edited by NorCam; 09-09-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:49 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

I have been asked to comment further on this thread so I will offer the following:

Having watched this thread with interest from the start, the reality of the specific process used at Norwood had pretty significant operational variations from other plants especially those that were flat plant designs with a GMAD transition complete - specifically Lordstown and Van Nuys.

Most all of the variations under discussion here can be explained through a specific and detailed description of the assembly process that was specific to Norwood.

That's about all I have to say because to say more will expose the confirmation bias present within a number of posts made already- and the outcome will likely just end up in another brawl with zero value for any of us.

I do agree with one comment specifically. If you restore your car as you found it then you will NEVER be wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
NorCam (09-12-2020), R68GTO (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 09:44 PM

Thanked 2,157 Times in 553 Posts

I do agree with one comment specifically. If you restore your car as you found it then you will NEVER be wrong.

I am trying my very best to do that as I do find quite a bit of conflicting info depending on source.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post

Very well stated Sir.

I have read your Norwood related posts in the past and do hold them in high regard. I hope my earlier posts didn't come off sounding biased as that was really not my intention. I am still new to many of the details in how the plants did things and as always, I strive to learn as much as possible about the processes.

Being an original paint car, I had a lengthy discussion with my painter earlier this week. We reviewed exactly how it was painted at the factory and were in the midst of formulating a plan when he brought up the past cars he has painted for me and just how happy I was with the clean look that came from that process? (example below)

That conversation now has me questioning the plan for the car at hand. It no longer has it's original drive line, is taking on a new look when it's done (day 2 performance inspired) and much of what will be seen under the car will be far from factory including the engine, trans, the differential, headers, exhaust and more. He said to me, if you're planning to dress it with the colorful day 2 headers, Lakewood red safety gear and yellow slapper bars and powder coating everything else...isn't that the perfect contrast for the satin black applied to the last car?

I answered yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Back in the '80s, we did a ZL1 and a '67 Z/28. Did both undercarriages in satin black. No body color overspray, no primer. Common back then.

Sure has changed over the years.
I have really come to appreciate the factory correct restoration methods being replicated today, and the attention to detail that many will strive to achieve. To the common person, it may present as being a mess when compared to many of the trophy cars out there, but to the purist, I'm sure it is more appreciated. I think I can appreciate both styles of restoration if the work is quality driven, but lean towards factory correct. I know who started me down that path! (lol)

I'm still not completely sure what will be done with the underside of this one right now, but I'm sure it will be sorted in the coming weeks. The firewall and trunk detail will for sure mimic the factory side of things, just not sure I want bright yellow overspray to adorn the freshly restored floors underneath.

...and the dilemma continues