Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 05-09-2004, 06:43 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Swap Meet Fun

Utah had it's 1st swap meet today at the Fairpark. I saw a rusty 57 Chevy project for 1500, a 69 Buick GS400 4spd, wacked hard in the rear, no price posted. I got a "403" Aluminum bellhousing for 20, a SB Aluminum Manifold for 30 clams. Took a wish list for the Camaro and found nothing. Alot of Atlas looking 5 spoke mags for around 35 apiece, wish I knew more what to look for on those. Next swap and show is at UVSC College. Lots of parts but haven't seen a "rare" part in 15 years.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-10-2004, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Swap Meet Fun

You never know what you can find at a flea market too?

This weekend I bought a 7" rally with the original silver paint on it for $2.50. "K17 1 15FV" date code. I got the guy to take 1/2 price because the tire on it had steel cords showing.

I also found a Corvette distributor for $50. Tach gears were good. '72 LT-1 number. Two Dual line holly float bowls for $1 each. One has the 50 cc pump on it.

Then I got a huge set of hold down bolts and nuts and the wooden blocks that hold them that go in the groves of my Bridgport Vertical mill. There was some tooling in it too. One turned out that it fit the quick change head on my Lathe and it was one that I did not have. Internal boring bar on one end and a cutting tool on the other.

I am sure that each of them cost good money. The guy had got all of them at a auction. I couldn't beleive my eyes. I have needed the proper hold down bolts (I don't know what the proper name of them is) I gave $50 for everything. By the time I got back to pick it up with the car he said he had 4 higher offers and finally had to cover it up with a blanket to keep people from bugging him about it. This was 5 boxes full of very heavy stuff. I was sweating big time by the time I carried it into the back of the shop.

I am glad that I have bought lots of stuff off Don over the years and he would not sell it out from under me. he also sold me a gas pump for $200 last year.

Sorry I just had to brag a little. the point that I want to make is that it makes no mater wether it is a Auto swapmeet or a Flea market if you know what to look for and get there early you just never know what you will find.

Pantera
73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA
Old 05-10-2004, 06:29 AM

You beat a guy down to $2.50 from a $5.00 asking price on a rally wheel? I'm impressed!

I bet you made him give you change for a 20 didn't you?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:11 AM

He sold nothing but junk and the wheel just happened to catch my eye. I didn't realize how good it was till I owned it.

I learned long ago that these people just want to get rid of it so they don't have to haul it back home.

If he had asked what it should have been worth, then I would not have tried to beat him down so far. BTY:I did have correct change.

But that is Rule #2...!!! Always carry plenty of small change and smaller bills. You never know what you will miss because the person can't make change. I had to hussle to break a $100 bill, for the distributor. I didn't want to give him all my small bills.
73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA
Old 05-10-2004, 07:40 AM

Good advise on the smaller bills, a red wagon is good for hauling around stuff also. I think I'm going to take a mag wheel lesson or two. I really like the old mag wheels and there was quite a few available. In the late 70's it was Crager SS or Ansen Sprints in my area. Day two stuff seems to be very popular now.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:48 AM

Pantera,

I am beginning to think you are the King of swap meets. The fun of the swap meets is trying to talk them down. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:02 AM

Hey Brent,
I probably walked right past you a couple times!
The fair grounds meet is the first "auotmotive" meet of the year here, and you usually don't find a whole lot there.
I just go to see how many of my old buddies I can run into, and BS with for a while.
I had to laugh at the GS...the deck lid was almost in the back seat! A fairly decent restoreable 69 MAch 1...for 8k.
There were a couple of pretty cool rides in the parking lot.
The meet at UVSC is WAY better, and the biggest FREE car show of the year. We go early for the swap meet, then spen the rest of the day looking at cars in the show. Keeps getting bigger every year.

Old 05-11-2004, 06:11 AM

Dennis, I wonder if the GS got any offers? It was hit so hard I can't believe it is still in one piece. A good buy if you need a really complete parts car though...it was complete. When is UVSC? I went last year but forgot what time of year it was. Thanks, Brent
Old 05-11-2004, 09:49 AM

Hey Brent,
Not exactly sure on the date, but I think it's the Sat. of Memorial weekend May 29th. I'm thinking there will be an ad in next weeks Sunday paper in the Antiques/Classics section of the classifieds. I look forward to it every year.
It's deffinitely the biggest swap meet around here, and probably the best car show of the year. AND it's free!
I've thought about e-mailing you before whan I saw where you were located. I live in South Jordan, but I work in Orem. I make the 60 mile round trip 5 nights a week!
Got to love the point of the mountain in the winter!!
First major drag event at RMR is that Sat. May 29th also.
Jet car spring nationals, along with West coast top sportsman, and summit ET series. The top sportsman class is awesome.

Old 05-11-2004, 12:21 PM

Just found out...
UVSC Swap meet & Auto Expo Sat. May 22nd