Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts
Default Re: Barrett Jackson COPO Camaro

And you will waste more hours next year. And the next year and the next year....
Old 01-19-2009, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And you will waste more hours next year. And the next year and the next year....

[/ QUOTE ]

You bet It's like being hooked on watching "Judge Judy".....I can't stop....great entertainment
Except I Tevo so I can blow off the comercials

Mike
Old 01-19-2009, 05:31 PM

I'm just a nube to all this, I thought (at lease in the Peoples Republic of Illinois) that when a vin was changed on a car for repair etc. that it had to be witnessed and certified by a officer of the Secretary of States office. I'm not sure but then it would seem that there would be certification papers which would have to move with the title of the car?????

I feel real bad for the guy that bought the green ZL-1. He looked absolutely thrilled. Now I have to assume that he is really upset at this point, I cant see that the news has not gotten to him by now.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever notice that EVERY year for a week after the B-J auction ends there are countless threads noting many examples of deception, fraud, and outright lies? Yet people still have the guts to say that B-J "sets the tone" for prices for the upcoming year...In my opinion B-J is nothing more than a big joke, a car show at best, and less "real" than pro-wrestling....has been for years. I'd also bet most of the "well bought" cars weren't actually bought at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe, I agree. BJ is a car show. Nothing more, nothing less. To me, it sets no market value.

Barrett Jackson is a wonderful for people who have very deep pockets for purchasing cars. It is the best car show in the world. Period, end of story. Even if you do not buy a single car, just being there to watch the action, collect some free-goodies and watch the auction is enough for you to understand the how the system works. Steve Davis, for example, must have said the following 1,000 times this past week. "Blue chip car, Investment car, collector starter car." After a while it became down right embarrassing to listen to. The ZL1 auction was a JOKE! Reggie and Holub were bidding the car up to 300k while whispering behind the podium/microphone. The winning bidder of the car was like a marionette bidding on that car.

Schonye- to answer your question from the perspective of someone who was on stage for the Yenko/ZL1 auctions, I do not know the legality of the auction, but IMO, the only pictures that I would be interested in seeing are pictures of the rebody-hidden vin swaps, tags etc. Barrett Jackson is not a forum for selling cars with hi-pedigree. That with why Mecum, Gooding, and Russo-Steel exist. While there were many no-question #1 condition cars with paper to back it up, we saw more restamps, clones, fake tagged muscle cars in one weekend than I want to admit. But I also think the buyers this year were smarter with money than ever before.

At Barrett Jackson there is no test driving, no formal inspection, barely even an opportunity to check numbers, pads, engine codes/castings or cowl tags. BJ will always remain the place to sell a questionable car why? Because sellers can! I had a great laugh when a fellow on stage with a '70 440 Cuda was on his cell phone, checking the welds in the 1/4, while he was bidding. Talk about inspection on the fly.

While we can beat up Craig Jackson and Steve Davis for being gut-wrenching, money hungry business men, the charity work they do is really top notch. And while I hate to admit how many times I turned around to comment on how utterly pathetic the two sounded when they complimented a phony or fake car with the coined "blue chip investment" or "collection starter quality" who else can raise over $1,000,000 in one night (in this economy) for charity?

I'll let someone else talk now.

-Dan
Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Schoneye The federal statue on VIN's applies to a stolen vehicle. If you are the "owner of said vehicle, or agent thereof" the exemption for removing/replacing is clearly stated. The law yields if you are "repairing" your own vehicle. So when a body shop is putting a front clip , cowl or body shell on a damaged vehicle it is a repair , not a criminal act. The law needs to be amended to state that if fraud is involved it is a criminal act, stolen car or not. Defining the exact nature of where fraud exists, however, is a real challenge . Sure, we all know it when we see it, but putting it in a legal code is the hurdle. Write your elected officials. Last I looked, however, they won't even jail a guy that stole 50 Billion from investors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand, but think too, as Carl stated about Il. a DOT officer is required in Ia. also to witness a VIN changeout, and document it. I'm not sure it may not require a new VIN nbr. I'll see if I can dig up officer Dan my DOT guy and get his opinion.
We're on the same page with Bernie. Bernie should meet Bubba.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOST my reply, while copying below pics........ARGH!!!!!!!!!

Interested to read why this community refers to a created, mfg, cloned #27 ZL-1 69 Camaro as a rebodied Camaro.

#27 that everyone saw on T.V. Saturday night has only ONE born with assy line part, the VIN TAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Chuck...With all due respect and please correct me if I am wrong on the facts...I am going from memory and my alzheimers kicks in at times..hehehe, but I thought the story in prior threads was that you took the car to get mini-tubbed and they cut the full floors out, so you found another body and switched the VIN and the drivetrain and went racing with the car...and that point, I believe the car was considered "rebodied"....I realize at some point the drivetrain was separated from the body and the car parted out...but I would still consider the car rebodied. I dont see much difference if it has the original drivetrain or not...

..if the original body is found, I dont know what they could do with it without a VIN....?? maybe sell it to the owner of the car!! hehe

Do I have the story right?? more or less?? hehe... just my opinion... Max

...and as far as the auction companies...I dont know if one is any better than another...I remember last year this same car running through one of the other big auctions and bidding to 315,000 but not hitting the reserve.Is there an auction company that will not accept this car? I dont know if the buyer got such a bad deal as he may be able to sell the car for more money some day.
I realize that there are many purists in the hobby, but apparently, the law is set-up so a car can be repaired and "rebodied" if there was no fraud intended...I dont believe Chuck was committing fraud back when he did this. And as long as the seller makes a reasonable effort to disclose this, I dont think they are liable either...The whole Feggie bidding on teh car seems shady, but I guess he had every right to bid and win the car as anyone.......I'm not sure what was said in person by Barrett Jackson before this car sold at the auction as far as disclosure...apparently Reggie spoke about the car...but it was not shown on TV...anyone that was there??? Did BJ disclose the rebody of the ZL-1 prior to the auction??
I'm no lawyer, but I dont think it would be easy to prove any wrongdoing in court over all this...I think you would have a tough time saying you got ripped off just because the car bid to 315,000 last year at another auction.

jmhu...

Thanks, Max

BTW, Chuck...those pics are bad asssss
Old 01-19-2009, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
8 minutes 25 seconds from first yell to hammer. I seriously got sick to my stomach watching that auction. Craig Jackson is a bad guy in my opinion. This whole thing has seriously jumped the shark. What about the other poor saps that were also not getting what they wanted and got their cars hammered in less then 1 minute?

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly right, plus did you hear Craig Jackson when it was at 225K and Spanky was going to hammer it he whispered " don't do it" then winked to someone behind him. Really a sad display. One other thing if Reggie was really intending to buy the car where was his bidders id? Everyone else had one, I guess if your famous the rules do not appy. That being said I will surely tune in to see every minute of nexts years auction
Old 01-19-2009, 06:42 PM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

BJ Az. has always been surreal theater.Nothing more,nothing less.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:59 PM

It's nice to finally see the whole rebody thing come out and into the light. Compare this auction to 5 years ago when everything sold was perfect, original and never questioned. It was the unspeakable. Ya right!

With respect to the green ZL1, it was funny to see Ron Pratt and Rick Hendrick sit on their hands while the car was on stage. They both had this look on their face as if to say "I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole".

Charley - what was the deal with the black COPO? A few guys have inquired.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 PM

I watched the video twice...when did they announce it was a re-body? As a matter of fact...C Jackson said 'this is a real car'..but they knew..it was a re body..hence NOT a real car...

Did I miss something?

I've been to Barrett Jackson twice...it is a meeting place of shysters and automotive idiots...idiots who want to be famous at the expense of paying a HUGE premium.