Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default ZL1 #9 Barrett Jackson - Where's Waldo

We all have our passions for the hobby and our intentions are noble, but sometimes our passions get the best of us. Based on discussions with Charley, George and I, it was agreed that some of the posts which were personal in nature, not respectful or specific to this topic will be removed or edited. Ultimately we felt it was in the best interest of the hobby, the site and our members to do so.

Steve Shauger

Summary: Outstanding total restoration of one of the rare factory ZL1 '69 Camaros. Very well documented including owner history from new and a very positive Cuneen Report. Recent service and detail to be as new and surely one of the best in existence.
Details: An outstanding example of one of the original COPO ZL1 aluminum block 427 Camaros, this particular car is #9 of the total production run of 69 cars produced. This car is very well documented from its original delivery to Fred Gibb Chevrolet of LaHarpe, Illinois, the dealer that spearheaded the original concept of an all-aluminum motor ZL1 Camaro.Included with this car is an amazing collection of historical documentation including the Dealers Shippers copy of the original window sticker, the customer copy of the original bill of sale, a copy of the Chevrolet MSO and much more. Having been through a very expensive, cost-no-object restoration, this particular ZL1 Camaro is "one of the finest in existence", exactly as it states in the accompanying Cuneen report by Ed Cuneen of COPO Connection. Only the highest quality components were used in this restoration with a strong emphasis on New Old Stock pieces instead of more readily available reproduction items. A GM factory assembled body shell was used to correct the extensive body modifications performed during this cars long term drag race history. Look beyond the show-quality paint, beautifully-fitted body and flawless-trim to see one of the most top notch Camaro restorations in the world. The workmanship employed to complete this car is the best you will find and the direction to recapture assembly line correct details is evident throughout the entire car, in particular with engine compartment and chassis assemblies. The Cuneen Report that is included with this car features extensive photography and a certification of numbered and coded components. While this car has been driven only a few miles since completion, it has been mechanically sorted and performs flawlessly with no issues needing attention. Offered here today by collector George Lyons of Erie, Pennsylvania, this 1969 ZL1 Camaro is stunning, highly documented, correctly restored example from this historic run of just 69 cars.

I've got three kids and spent a lot of time with the Where's Waldo books and I've got to say that after reading this auction description it's one in the same.

There is only one sentence that is buried in the middle of the description that leads one to believe that something is wrong. Why does it have to be a case of "buyer beware"? I just don't understand why a company the size of Barrett would risk selling a car with a description like this but I guess I can answer my own question.....money.

What happens if the purchaser challenges the description of a car like this? Would Barrett kick the car back to the seller and charge all of the fees applicable because they did not write the description or do they take responsibility (or possibly write the description themselves) and just return the car to the seller?

At the end of the day we all want these cars to be around and I have no problem with documented cars that existed being resurrected.

For crying out loud just call it what it is.........I feel like I'm back in kindergarten looking for Waldo.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-02-2012, 05:35 PM

Default Re: ZL1 #9 Barrett Jackson - Where's Waldo

The description is very straight forward that the car has been rebodied. I do not see deception in this description.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 PM

It does not say re-body either. It says a gm body was used to correct drag racing modifications. To me that means a good gm body was cut apart and spliced in at some place on the original body.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 PM

I find it interesting that Waldo read the description and understood the disclosure but seems to think it is still not clear. Having received over 20 Emails and phone calls in response to this final description, I am happy to report he is the only one I have heard from that is confused. Thank You again for the positive comments on the car and please stop by in Arizona if you are able. Happy New Year, George
Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 PM

If I were a new guy interested in this hobby/business I'd appreciate a description that simply spelled things out. I've been around for a while and can "read between the lines", not everyone has that luxury though.

I think it was the Corvette guys that wanted to get to the bottom of whether their cars were correct or not and I believe the term "numbers matching" started. For me "numbers matching" meant that the motor was the original. This then expanded to the tranmission, differential and so on. Then descriptions got creative and sellers said to themselves well I looked at the casting number on the block and it's numbers matching (when the actual case was the motor was out of another car but the casting numbers are correct for the vehicle).

I've never seen this particular car and I'm sure that the quality of the work is top shelf but I just don't think it is fair to potential buyers when you have to read and re-read a description to understand what it is that you are really buying.......

For me the accepted term is a rebodied car.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:19 PM

I agree with prototype. This sentence can be interpreted two ways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A GM factory assembled body shell was used to correct the extensive body modifications performed during this cars long term drag race history. </div></div>

Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 PM

With all due respect to the owner of this car, besides the &quot;mincing of words&quot; in the description about the re-body, my opinion is that a completely rebodied ZL-1 is NOT &quot;one of the finest in existence&quot;.
I am glad somone else here has the courage to state thier opinion here. The description of this car fits more exactly like my old ZL-1 that I sold, car 34. Where all salvagable parts of the original car were kept intact when restored. In this case the easy way out was taken to restore this car. Simply stated, a rebody !!

And thanks to SYC for allowing all respectful opinions.

And to the owner..a very beautiful car and restoration !!! Good luck with the sale.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 PM

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

Prototype is correct. The car is a rebody as per Floyd Garrett yet it is not disclosed anywhere unless you want you hang your hat on &quot;A GM factory assembled body shell was used to correct the extensive body modifications performed during this cars long term drag race history&quot;. The only time I see George say &quot;rebody&quot; is when on the other thread here his initial post says it is NOT a rebody. The language used could mean that 1/4 panels etc were sourced etc.
Kim..Do you consider it one of the best ZL1's like advertized knowing it is a rebody ? If your best friend came to you looking for a ZL1 and showed you the Barrett-Jackson ad would you assume he was aware it was rebodied based on the language used ? Would you suggest he buy # 9 or would you tell him to look for one that is not rebodied. I don't mind rebody as long as it is disclosed. My opinion is anybody reading that language as rebody is reading thru rose color sunglasses.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 PM

Funny that bring that up Chas. One of my best friends sold a ZL-1 reboded car 5 years ago for 90,000.00. That car then sold at BJ. And was never said it was a rebody until just before it was sold. It brought 290,000.00 We didn't agee about that car. Again Fred someone new just getting into the car hobby doesn't buy a ZL-1.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 PM

I understand that George wants to get as much as he can for the car. I agree with Prototype. This part of the description is vague. &quot;A GM factory assembled body shell was used to correct the extensive body modifications performed during this cars long term drag race history.&quot; Does this mean that the entire shell was used or that this shell was used for pieces and parts for replacing or rebuilding the modifications to the existing shell? They guys on here that read the original thread know but not everyone that will be at the auction knows about this site. JMO
James