Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 01-14-2010, 03:51 AM

Default Memphis motorsports park

Just to let you guys know. memphis motorsports park was sold to the railroad yesterday. There going to make a switching yard out of it.
Larry
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-14-2010, 04:03 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Memphis motorsports park

Wow! I just cannot absolutely believe that somebody didn't buy that track and keep it open. I have some very fond memories of that place from the early-90's Fastest Street Car Shootouts. That was a modern, up-to-date, NHRA National Event Hosting Dragstrip. Wake up everybody.......'cuz if it was vulnerable, then none of our dragstrips are safe.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Is the sale for both the drag strip and the oval? Sad news as it was a major player in the fastest street car shoot outs as Mark mentioned.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:49 AM

Well, I just noticed that the GM LS-Shootout is going to be moved to Gateway in 2010. I never made it down to Memphis to check that out but have always wanted to. Looks like it'll be in my hometown now. Back in the early Nineties, we had three active dragstrips in St. Louis but now we're down to just one.......Gateway.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 PM

The word in this part of the world is the 1/8(!) mile track in Holly Springs is hurting the weekly attendance @ MMP...I guess the 1/8 mile track has some CRAZY payouts, so the weekly guys are going there. No doubt MMP could pack them in for the big events, but the weekly regulars are what keeps the lights on. After the pending deal fell through, there was talk of folks scrambling to find another buyer, but I'm guessing they couldn't compete with the $$$ the railroad offered. NASCAR announced a few months ago they were moving their Memphis date to St. Louis, and I heard recently the HUGE NMCA event was gonna be @ Gateway in '10, so the writing was on the wall. Boy oh boy, hard to believe, as MMP was one of the nicest facilities in the country.

I am *MAJORLY* bummed about this...now we're looking @ a 200+ mile drive to get to a nice track (Gateway)...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:48 PM

Does that leave Memphis without a local dragstrip? I know that there is 1/4 mile oval dirt track in W. Memphis AR. The Memphis area has been a good source for high performance parts mfg for many years. It's a shame for the area and racing in general to lose that quality facility.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does that leave Memphis without a local dragstrip? I know that there is 1/4 mile oval dirt track in W. Memphis AR. The Memphis area has been a good source for high performance parts mfg for many years. It's a shame for the area and racing in general to lose that quality facility.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yessir...there are 1/8 mile strips in Holley Springs, MS (about an 1? hour away), Newport, AR (hour or so?), there's that I57 strip up in the IL/KY/MO corner which would probably be a couple hours away, George Ray's hole in the wall in Paragould...but a decent 1/4 mile track is few & far between in this part of the world I believe? I mean, MMP has had "the big show" there with the NHRA Mid-South Nationals for a while now, and it always looked like it drew really well...MMP is on par with some of the nicest facilities I've ever raced at...and I can see why the railroad is interested, because it's nothing but industrial/ghetto around the track, which means the neighborhood SUCKS. You don't wanna stop for fuel until you've put some miles down...we had our truck/trailer shot with a bb gun by some "locals" after leaving the track one time...
Old 01-15-2010, 12:27 AM

Man Rob, that BB gun story really sucks, but I know the neighborhood you're talking about. I've seen you often mention Memphis before and I kinda assumed that was your "home" 1/4 mile strip. I feel for 'ya. Although Gateway is the closest track to my house, it's far from my list of favorites and I've become pretty fond of the little 1/8 mile dragstrips, even it means 2-3 hours on the road. Although I haven't been there in a few years, I love Ozark Drag in Rogersville, Sikeston Drag, I-57 Drag in Benton, Ill, Mo-Kan Drag outside of Joplin (now there's a 1/4 mile!) and there's also an 1/8 mile track in Benton, MO. that I've never been too. There was a pretty strong rumor of a "super" track opening in Columbia, MO. 'bout a year ago but I haven't heard anything in a while.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:32 AM

I agree with Rob and Mark on the neighborhood being pretty tough. I was there in 1995-97 for some of the classic NMCA shows. It's just such a shame to lose a facility of that quality as they're seldom replaced. It is nice to hear that there are at least some other tracks for fans and racers.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:55 PM

I thought NHRA owned that track?