Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 08-30-2015, 01:17 PM

Default BBC Tarantula manifold vs weiand tunnel ram ?

Hey guys, I'm building a mostly period correct 69 camaro. I'm going to be running a 427 .60 over (439) 12:5:1 big block with heavily ported 990 heads and a bullet cam. I have a mint edelbrock tm2r tarantula manifold and also have a weiand pro ram, I'm in love with both the super stock and pro stock theme but what will make more power ultimately? Tunnel ram with 660's or that tarantula with a good carb? Thanks guys!

Thanks,
Vinnie
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-30-2015, 04:31 PM

Default Re: BBC Tarantula manifold vs weiand tunnel ram ?

The TR should make more power.

If you're going to drive this on the street, be advised that 660's do not make good street carbs in stock form. They're mega rich on the idle circuits and do now have power valves so they're mega rich at part throttle cruise as well. Due to their throttle linkage design, they bring the secondaries in very quickly as well.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:18 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VintageMusclecar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The TR should make more power.

If you're going to drive this on the street, be advised that 660's do not make good street carbs in stock form. They're mega rich on the idle circuits and do now have power valves so they're mega rich at part throttle cruise as well. Due to their throttle linkage design, they bring the secondaries in very quickly as well. </div></div>

Thanks man, yeah I've heard that a few times before. I'm definitely going to go through them and update them so they can be driven on the street.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

The 660s are center squirters also. There is 1 nozzle in the middle. Boy I think I would opt for a pair of nice 600s or maybe even a pair of 750s with mechanical secondaries, 6109s.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:55 PM

I agree when going for Tunnel Ram on the street, but since this is a 12.5:1 motor I feel there is a lot unknowns to make much of a recommendation. Motor specs, E.T. goals and intended use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fiveforty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 660s are center squirters also. There is 1 nozzle in the middle. Boy I think I would opt for a pair of nice 600s or maybe even a pair of 750s with mechanical secondaries, 6109s. </div></div>
Old 08-30-2015, 06:50 PM

660s are race carbs -- not even intended for street right along with the TR. If you're hell bent on the TR suggest a pair of 600s. As far as drivablity -- the Tarantula with maybe an 800 or 850 DP would be more liveable ... TAZ
Old 08-30-2015, 08:59 PM

Motor is a 427 Bored to a 439ci, heads are 990 rectangular ports that were completely opened up by brandywine many years ago, cam is a bullet solid roller still waiting in intake to order it. Its going to be a fun street/ strip car. Depending on time probably not to much strip haha but want the power for when I need it. I'm sure I can get this car into the mid 10's with 4.56's. I've built a few race cars but nothing this old school.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:01 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earntaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">660s are race carbs -- not even intended for street right along with the TR. If you're hell bent on the TR suggest a pair of 600s. As far as drivablity -- the Tarantula with maybe an 800 or 850 DP would be more liveable ... TAZ </div></div>
I agree. But I have a few old timer friends that have used them on the street and never had an issue. They fixed the lean idle problems somehow.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:23 PM

Sounds like a fun project. With all due respect, why 12.5:1 compression if you are going for more street? We recently made 500hp with 9.3:1 and modest fuelie heads on a little 302. Mixing race gas on the street sucks.

I think you can easily meet your goals with the Tunnel Ram.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:42 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a fun project. With all due respect, why 12.5:1 compression if you are going for more street? We recently made 500hp with 9.3:1 and modest fuelie heads on a little 302. Mixing race gas on the street sucks.

I think you can easily meet your goals with the Tunnel Ram. </div></div>

Honestly Paul I got all the engine parts for practically nothing lol. The forged crank, rods and pistons were all under $500 and the crank and rods are new. I already had the 60 over block. I don't mind running race gas for the simple fact of I'm not going out on long cruises maybe an occasional 20 minute cruise to the local shows or the occasional weekend romp. All my engines I built were always pumo gas on the street. If this was an everyday or constant driver than by all means i wouldn't even think of running anything over 10:5:1