Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 02-18-2009, 04:07 PM

Default Re: 08 Cobra Jets in Pomona

well believe it or not.. They were originally rated at 400 hp.. Thats how they got into A/stock. Come on.. 400 hp would be no where as fast as they are.. Don't forget they are only 330 cubic inches too

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Yea but they are supercharged. Not normally aspired. Take the blower off and how fast will they be?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:09 PM

You have to remember, any time forced induction [ie, boost] is entered into the equation, you're basically adding cubic inches...remember the old GM rating system for their blowers (6-71, 8-71, 8-53, etc)...they represented # of cylinders/cubic inches per cylinder they could scavenge.

I was under the impression also that AA/S was created with the new cars in mind, and if the old stuff fell into it then it was all the better...but throwing the new CJ's into A/S is a joke...the amount of weight they're gonna have to throw at that combo is gonna have to be equivalent to a co-pilot!

[I'm just jealous GM isn't the guilty party here...]
Old 02-19-2009, 12:50 AM

thats stupid statement. Take off the 2 fours and replace it with a 2 barrel on a Hemi Cuda and see how fast it is. (that makes about as much sense)It was designed to run with a blower. Of course its not going to be as fast with out...

[ QUOTE ]
Yea but they are supercharged. Not normally aspired. Take the blower off and how fast will they be?

[/ QUOTE ]

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 AM

I know the factories want to see the new cars in competition. The old ones don't sell cars for them. What I am saying is one or two carbs whatever!! It is still normally aspired with carbs. Not forced induction. It is a big advantage to have turbo's or superchargers. Because of that NHRA will probably add weight cause all the other AA/Stockers with carb induction will be complaining! NHRA might as well let Toyotas with turbos in Stock eliminator then.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:35 AM

I can only hope they get some HP added to their cars. Talk about bad timing for GM. Think we can squeeze some of that bail out money into the new Camaro?? If Shelby can pull off getting their cars into Stock why can't I run a Yenko? Yeah I know. I still have high hopes for GM. Think there is a Camaro supercharged beast parked away somewhere? I have to call the cuz in Moraine. I bet he has some info. Just retired after 37 years with GM and the latest being the D-Max program.

BP.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:24 AM

embrace technology Sam.. Its your friend. After all, its how we are converse about what we love. Cars. Without technology we could not be doing this right now...Its just a car, done differently. A fast one that Ford made at the factory in the likeness of a legend they made many years ago. Its a beautiful thing.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 PM

OK Frank, You got it!
Old 02-19-2009, 05:12 PM

Shelby has nothing to do with the new Cobra Jet Mustang. its all Ford..

[ QUOTE ]
I can only hope they get some HP added to their cars. Talk about bad timing for GM. Think we can squeeze some of that bail out money into the new Camaro?? If Shelby can pull off getting their cars into Stock why can't I run a Yenko? Yeah I know. I still have high hopes for GM. Think there is a Camaro supercharged beast parked away somewhere? I have to call the cuz in Moraine. I bet he has some info. Just retired after 37 years with GM and the latest being the D-Max program.

BP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 02-20-2009, 04:12 AM

GN, I was refering to years past paper cars gemerated by Shelby and others. But now it looks like GM has axed the performance division today... Oh well, back to the shop.

Barry