Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 08-14-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: S/SS @ Sonoma

Thanks guys. I actually did look at the rules on the NHRA website about a year ago and I have to admit I was a bit confused. However I'll take another look at it now and do some thinking. I've got several ideas in my head for projects and building a race car is just one of them. I need to finish a few of my current ones and sell them off before I buy another car though. My wife is threating to install parking meters on our driveway.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:38 PM

Jeff, I live in Benicia, the shop is in Concord and you are welcome to come by anytime. We went out Wed night with my sons Camaro at Infineon and he was runner up in High School class. The last 5 times out = 3wins,1 runner up and a 3nd round loss. Check the Infineon Raceway web site. What a blast watching him race! I think he is gettig close for an e ticket in the Stocker.. LOL [email protected]
Barry
Old 08-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Ya those kids to have the reflexes. I was out there about 3 years ago.(Sears Point) Beautiful country. We were on vacation with the family. I stayed in Petaluma, loved it there!! Sam
Old 08-14-2004, 10:43 PM

Thats neat, did you get to see any racing? I was in your State last year- 2002 and 03, 6 times total. I did the specifications on 3 new American LaFrance 110 ft Aerials and saw them through the build process. Ephrata, I think I spelled it right. Also visited Blue balls, Bird in Hand, Intercourse and Gettysburg. I have Fire shirts from all of them. It seems everybody in Penn races, is this true?. Every other house had an enclosed trailer in the driveway, I WAS IN HEAVEN!!! LOL.
Barry
Old 08-15-2004, 12:37 AM

All the areas you mentioned were within 15 miles of Maple Grove Raceway. The heart of DIV.1 racing!! Did YOU see any racing???? I didn't see any racing, but went to Half Moon Bay and looked up the old air strip they raced on. That was neat. Also went to Pomona and took some pictures of the drag strip. That is like in a populated area. Went to the NHRA museum too. Went to Englishtown Friday. The stock guys do use a carb spacer, but I don't see the aluminum heat shields though. Carb spacer is wood or bakealite maybe. I guess there are limits to the height. Maybe an inch? Blue Ball not balls
Old 08-17-2004, 07:43 AM

There were three COPO Chevelles and one COPO Camaro sold in our area in '69. None had the heat shield.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:26 AM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

Is this what you are referring to?

HEAT SHIELD
Old 08-17-2004, 09:06 AM

Yea, thats the one. I guess not on the 69 Camaro 427 so far. Like the Hemi Nascar for NHRA Stock they just..... found paper work on. I am not giving up yet. I guess they had it for the rochester too. Someone had mentioned it might be a Cal, Az, Nev option?? I just had the Tech people look at my new Holley extra thick gasket with plastic inserts at the bolt holes to approve it. We went through Holley's inventory to find it. Almost a 1/2" thick. Barry
Old 08-17-2004, 09:45 AM

You can not run the alum heat sheild. NHRA rules this as an over the counter piece. What most people do is buy two (2) heat sheids and put the bottom gaskets together. there is a 1/4" ruel on carb gasket thickness. these push the limit. but will pass. Larry
Old 08-20-2004, 07:00 AM

Larry, The gasket we had them look at is .330 out of the box. I will measure it after testing on the 6th to see what it compresses to after a couple of fuel and heat cycles.
Barry