Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 10-04-2008, 12:16 AM

Default Re: B/SA '69 COPO Camaro sets National Record

Ive always heard that the L-88 cam really picked up big block chevys--anyone hear know? <font color="red"> </font>
Old 10-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Yes back in the old, over the counter days but there are better cams out there now from different cam grinders.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:06 PM

Been a while since I posted here... Thanks Rob.
I have earlier 427 A Cam specs for interested parties. One of these cams in your cars would tend to blow the tires off but some small changes would fix that. I have a grinder that does this in 2 days.

Barry
Old 10-17-2008, 08:34 PM

You want to watch the duration on the old cams. It is to tight and causes detonation. Call Bullet cams they are awesome.

Sean
Old 11-29-2008, 06:41 AM

In 1969 I raced my L78 Chevelle in B/S class and was close to the national record that I recall was around 12.30et. Could someone explain to me how the same engine can run 10's? Is the stock rules different now then in 1969? My car fell almost at the top of the ci to wt. ratio. We were not allowed to use any componets that were not the same specs as factory. Only headers, re-jet the carb, advance curve kit in the dist, cool can, traction bars and 7" slicks, Hurst shifter were allowed. We did some other tricks that the tech inspectors could not catch such as remove the front sway bar and use 6 cyl. springs to let the front end pop up quicker to transfer the wgt. to the rear tires. I never lost a race with that car on the strip or street, but it appeard my car would be a dog nowadays!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:57 AM

Its way different now!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:58 AM

Got any photos of your Chevelle? What gears were you running?

Old 11-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Banned

Any car that ran in the 12s back in those days was fast. When Ben Wenzel won Indy in Sept 1967, he was running B/S with his little 302 and ran 12.30s and 40s. When my Chevelle was new, I bolted on headers, and seven inch tires and ran 12.40s-60s depending on weather.

What makes these cars faster today is tire technology, clutches, step headers, lighter piston ring combinations and the typical blue printing.

We just finished building two of the original ZL1 engines out of car #34 and #17 here at CHP and both made well over 500 hp. I will post the dyno sheets here soon. I used the stock 180 camshaft but a lighter ring combination. That really wakes these motors up. And the engines are totally stock for restoration purposes.

Jerry
Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In 1969 I raced my L78 Chevelle in B/S class and was close to the national record that I recall was around 12.30et. Could someone explain to me how the same engine can run 10's? Is the stock rules different now then in 1969? My car fell almost at the top of the ci to wt. ratio. We were not allowed to use any componets that were not the same specs as factory. Only headers, re-jet the carb, advance curve kit in the dist, cool can, traction bars and 7" slicks, Hurst shifter were allowed. We did some other tricks that the tech inspectors could not catch such as remove the front sway bar and use 6 cyl. springs to let the front end pop up quicker to transfer the wgt. to the rear tires. I never lost a race with that car on the strip or street, but it appeard my car would be a dog nowadays!

[/ QUOTE ]
What was your MPH back then in B/S? Our Y-Camaro that runs in "Pure Stock" has gone 11.7s @ 118+ through the stock exhaust manifolds &amp; on the F70-15 Polyglass tires. My Moroso slide calculator says for a 3700 pound car that is over 470hp @ the wheels...only trick part in the engine is a set of blueprint pistons, everything else is boring old GM stuff. But the 500 or so passes in the car to sort it out probably helps a little bit as well...
Old 11-29-2008, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they cheat better now ...