Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 10-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: L89 Resto!!

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Firstgen, I don't think it's common pratice to put all of these marks over the black paint, I think it's more of a reserch and documentation interest than anything, There are a few markings that will be over the paint though.. B T P stamps and the color callout T U R.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen many cars restored with these codes on top of the paint.
Most originals I've seen had the paint color (TUR in this case) under the firewall paint. Often visible since the letters (ie grease marker) seem to prevent the firewall paint from adhering correctly (and often allow minor surface rust).
Most common for being on top of the paint is the sequence / rotation # (used to track the car down the line) and TBP inspection stamps (NOR cars only).
Old 10-28-2004, 11:41 PM

My car also had "Mr Moto" painted in Hugger Orange on the transmission tunnel. You couldn't see it until you removed the console and carpet. I don't think that had much meaning.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:48 AM

Interesting.. Thanks Kurt, Now the codes and such left by the fisher plant were put on before the metal prep and sealer then obviously, Because as you strip the surface the TUR and the BTP were removed instantly and as the black was removed the rest appeared? The BTP and the color callout leave no "shadowing" as the rest of the codes did. The TUR was applied directly over were the D80 was written, And would have looked confusing, So the body was shot with Primer before it left the Fisher plant which would have covered the underlying codes.. The TUR was partially covered wih black paint when we go the car and I figured someone attacked the firewall with a rattle can years ago. And I did find the color code went under the heater box. A side note have seen several MOPARS with the name ROCK and ROCKY written in the trunk area on the wheelhouses, You never know what you will find!! Thanks again
Old 10-29-2004, 12:52 AM

Not all BTP markings are on the firewall check out where these were found on the outer cowl areas along with other marks

Old 10-29-2004, 12:57 AM

Hi Jon, I think the 37 code is a 437, Not written well but didn't need to be.. No bumper guards on the car.. The information and knowledge on this board is impossible to put a price on!!!
Old 10-29-2004, 01:18 AM

An old friend of mine worked at Dworin Chevrolet in East Hartford, CT. He was a young phenom when it came to drivability problems and he was given a new Corvette that the owner complained made a clunking noise when cornering. After many test drives he located the problem. A Coke bottle was left in the driver's side door. The note inside the bottle read "congratulations a$$hole-you found the noise.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:59 PM

Hi Jeff, I have seen these marks on Some of our F body Pontiacs, 1970-71 Trans am's, I have seen the markings on the forward face of the cowl as well as around the sides of the cowl. These cars obvoiusly were inspected with the fenders off the car.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:09 PM

I am not questioning the pictures and markings for documentation. I am all for that. I was questioning some restored cars use of grease / chalk marks over paint when originally they were under the paint merely for the appearance of a "highly detailed" ie percieved correct restoration. Even though the markings ahould be under the paint.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 10-29-2004, 06:56 PM

Thanked 2,160 Times in 670 Posts

I agree with firstgenaddict. We did a '67 Z/28 years ago that was media blasted. I have several photos of the bare firewall with grease pencil stains all over it. "3L 2LG C08 Z-28 4L" are easily legible along with other markings that are not. The 2LG is partially obscured by the factory seam caulk. All of this was applied prior to any paint.

I have seen body color noted on the firewall after it was painted.

BTW the L89 in discussion was well known in the Milwaukee area when Pee Wee owned it. I sold him a VE3 bumper when the original was damaged.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:59 PM

I also agree with firstgen and William. Although sometimes guys put the markings on top of the black just out of error, not to deceive. It's not an easy thing to correct once the car is back together. Anyone have any suggestions?
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)