Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 10-21-2019, 12:37 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Home Generators

I currently have and older Briggs and Stratton full home natural gas powered generator. It's acting up and I think it's time to replace the entire unit.

Any thoughts, ideas or opinions on which generators are best?? I have been leaning towards a Cummins Unit. I hear mixed things about Generac Units.

Thanks Rich

Last edited by Mr. Chevy; 10-21-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-21-2019, 03:10 AM

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

I’ve had a Generac ffor a couple years with no problems.starts itself up every month for 15 minutes, runs diagnostics and charges the battery.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:02 AM

We have 2 generacs that could be 10 years old. Other than they had some bad battery tenders they work good
Old 10-21-2019, 04:05 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

I have a portable Generac which I've kept running with fresh fuel in case I ever need it. Thought of a large permanent one but have never pulled the trigger. How often does your see actual use?
Old 10-21-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
I have a portable Generac which I've kept running with fresh fuel in case I ever need it. Thought of a large permanent one but have never pulled the trigger. How often does your see actual use?
Since I have been in the home, 7 years, it has been used or activated about 3 times where it was in use for a while. The most significant time was in the fall of 2012 when remnants of Hurricane Sandy came through our area. The generator ran for about 2 days straight until power was restored. I have sump pumps and the generator saved our home. Had I not had it, my basement literally would have been an indoor swimming pool.

I could not believe the amount of water that was coming into the sump well during that time it was actually scary. Most of my neighbors flooded and had extensive damage. Since then I beefed up my sump pumps. I have 2, 1/2 horsepower Liberty pumps, a primary and back up, in the well that are plumbed out in different locations.

We had a brown out in late June of this year that screwed up the transfer switch solenoids. Plus the generator is not cycling weekly like it is supposed to do. It was installed in 2005. It has quite a bit of hours logged on it as well. I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to a flooded basement. I do have a portable Generac generator just to keep the sump pumps going in the event the big generator poops out. Trouble is you have to be home to get that up and running. Just a nice peace of mind.

Rich
Old 10-21-2019, 12:58 PM

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

I live in the country and have mine plumbed into my house's propane tank. We probably lose power a couple times a year and it starts up automatically. I used to have to drag my portable one out of the shop, thru the bushes, plug it in, turn on the gas, pull the rope to start it, bitch about my aching back and talk about getting a permanent one. The power would usually go out during a storm so that would all be done in the rain.