Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: ZL-1 #65 reunited with her original engine!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carl owned the car for years. Was the engine known when he owned it ? The car has been out and known for years and I'm just curious if the engine was known for years and if so why it wasn't offered. </div></div>

When we had ZL1 #65 on consignment from Carl Stubber, we were contacted by several people including an individual from Wisconsin, with a very &quot;interesting&quot; history within the Camaro community, who said that his associate in Arizona, I believe, had the complete driverain to the car. Engine trans and rear??

I contacted Carl and he was aware of the claim regarding the engine, but he was not interested for many reasons at that time.

Since we had the car for sale, we told &quot;them&quot; that they could just buy the car and reunite the drivetrain and Car. We never even received an offer from &quot;them&quot; on the car.

I however was skeptical yet interested and asked for pictures to confirm what was being represented but never received them.

What I did get was a bunch of rhetoric.......come see for yourself......bring cash.....etc.

So while I don't know what happened afterwards, I am very curious to know the rest of the story as well and see pics of the original engine and the other original parts posted on this thread.

I hope it all turns out to be valid scenario! It would be very Kool to see another original engine reunited with the original car.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:04 PM

The engine is correct and has been validated to be the real deal. I am working with a very talented group of individuals to get the sub frame assembly to the show. We know we do not have ALL the perfect parts, mostly need the correct transistor ignition, but what we have will be a super representation of the original Heart Beat of America drive train for ZL-1 #65 and represent the correct 9737 COPO option that was removed. The 140mph speedo is still in the car showing 39 miles. Our intent is not to install the sub frame, but display the race car side by side with its original equipment. I look forward to meeting everyone at the show and seeing all the other rare masterpieces!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:01 PM

Thanked 3,868 Times in 1,000 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZL1_COPO_65</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> mostly need the correct transistor ignition </div></div>

Annie and I have the correct and NOS 1111927 distributor dated 8K11, the transistor, coil and brown distributor cap. Maybe we can work something out.
Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 11-07-2015, 12:32 AM

&quot; I am working with a very talented group of individuals to get the sub frame assembly to the show.&quot;

Very nice, may I ask who these talented people are?
Old 11-07-2015, 02:17 AM

kinda vague responses...and skirting around the questions..i dont get it....
Old 11-07-2015, 09:07 AM

Thanked 1,116 Times in 328 Posts

So - you're indicating that the ZL-1 engine on the dyno is the original engine to #65? Can't wait to see it at the show!

also, a bit of trivia - anybody know why the chaplets on those aluminum heads all have little &quot;dots&quot; in the centers of them?
Old 11-07-2015, 10:07 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a bit of trivia - anybody know why the chaplets on those aluminum heads all have little &quot;dots&quot; in the centers of them?</div></div>

...Would they give reference to the day, time of day or shift that these heads were made? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2015, 01:49 PM

There would have been multiple pour points in the mold, and several vents to let the air out as the mold is poured so you have no voids. In 69 the quality of the aluminium was poor compared to todays aluminium alloys. Many more heads and blocks would have survived. Roger
Old 11-07-2015, 03:07 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marxjunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kinda vague responses...and skirting around the questions..i dont get it.... </div></div>

Probably because they are waiting for the reveal at MCACN and don't want to spoil the show.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:01 PM

Thanked 1,116 Times in 328 Posts

Actually, those 4 little round impressions are chaplets that were placed in the mold to keep the water jacket from moving during pouring/solidification. The heads are poured combustion chamber up. The chaplets are steel, so they didn't fuse during pouring with the relatively low temperature aluminum. This lack of fusion enabled water to &quot;weep&quot; out through chaplet stem when the engine was fired up. The simple fix for this water leak was to hit the center of the chaplet face hard with the point of a punch - forcing the steel to come in better contact with the aluminum. This &quot;repair&quot; was also incorporated on iron heads when the inspector noted poor fusion at the chaplet area.

The aluminum entered the molds through 6 gates located on the parting line of the exhaust manifold face. Evidence of these gates was later machined off. The mold was vented at the at the core prints, so no evidence of venting remained on the castings.