Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 10-02-2016, 11:55 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default Re: "The Beater Bee" becomes "The Better Bee"

Thanks guys! Now I'm over- the- top motivated to get the old gal in paint! So, it's onto the bodywork! I'm starting into it now that the metal work is all done. The first thing I'm tackling is to fill all the pitting in the trunk. I saved the floor, but it's like the surface of the moon! And guess what? I live in Houston, and we gots a friggin' problem over here! I figured I'd hit that a little each day so I don't burn myself out too quickly. Meanwhile, I started to get a game plan together on the rest of the car. I figured I'd go deep, punt early, then pull a hat trick and slide into home! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] I'm not sure what I just said made any sense, but it sure made this post longer! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

More this week as I get into reconstructing the lost and dented up bodyline on the quarter panels!

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2016, 01:54 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Looking good Dave. Can't wait to see it back in paint. I'm sure it will be spectacular.

Phil Woj.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:49 AM

Dave
Ran into Phil last night and we both agree you need to get hoppin' on this project [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/laugh.gif[/img] looking forward to your posts on the progress too. Here is hoping you do not have to take to many trips that interfere with this project, sometimes work can be a problem, but not for me anymore. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

Good luck
Mike
Old 10-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delay on the reply. That whole work thing getting in the way again, Mike [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] But vacation is underway and it's time to get some bodywork done! First step, body line rebuild!

I started by taping off the dull remnants of the factory stamping. I then used some body glaze and tapered a very slight skim coat across the tape. Removing the tape revealed a very small ridge which I knocked down with 180. This is a very small amount of glaze. Just enough to get that crisp line back!

Old 10-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

So....break out the old primer gun, spill a cup on the floor, clean that up, then fill up another cup and lay down a few heavy coats.

I'm pretty happy with the initial results. Now it's onto the other side! And some more trunk sanding and filling. Ugh....I'm glad I saved the floor, but this is more work than just replacing it!

Old 10-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

And after all that work, I come in and see this!

Now, the funny thing is, I'm the only one here!! Who's writing these instructions anyway? I'm looking in your direction, Mikey!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2016, 12:28 PM

Wasn,t me Dave, [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/no.gif[/img] you never sent me a Buddy pass... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]
Lookin' good, body line looks nice too. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] One question, do you sweep the floor or just blow the dust outside with the wind blowing like I do sometimes [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

Mike
Old 10-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

I ain't buyin' it. You know another guy that has buddy pass access! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] Dust removal? Well, other than the lbs. of it in my nose, I use my shop vac after a pile builds up, then at the end of the day, spend about :30 minutes vacuuming up the floor and finish up with the bucket and mop. Once a week, I'll open the doors up and use my leaf blower when there is a good breeze and clear out the shop: shelves, tools, walls, neighbors. And that helps keep it under control. I know. ...I'm a freak [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2016, 02:29 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A12pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And after all that work, I come in and see this!

Now, the funny thing is, I'm the only one here!! Who's writing these instructions anyway? I'm looking in your direction, Mikey!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]</div></div>

Sometimes -- the only way you can carry on an intelligent conversation is to talk to yourself! LOL TAZ [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Not much more to see except a couple more days worth of blocking, which looks exactly like it did before except a little less bumpy. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img] man....I hate block sanding and take a GOOD long look at those quarter panels. Flat? Yep. Curved? Yuh-huh. Convex, Ogee, Ess, obtuse? All of the above!

This side is now at 220. I'll jump on the other side tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have the whole car crisp and sanded to 220 by the end of the week. Stupid Bob and his awesome show demanding excellence! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]