Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 01-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: "The Beater Bee" becomes "The Better Bee"

Wow, that looks great. What kind of glue did you use for the top??
1984 Camaro z/28 zz4 conversion
1987 Monte Carlo SS original owner
Old 01-21-2017, 04:12 PM

Real nice job
Old 01-21-2017, 04:13 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts

Package tray in. I was able to reuse the original rear interior molding along the headliner retainer as well as the original molding on the back of the package tray. The tray itself is actually in great shape and I could have reused that too. But there are a few scuffs on it, and that carboard is a pain to fix when scuffed.

Original rear seatback installed!!![img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] Can't wait to get the lower part installed and then try it out, er, I mean...yeah, you know what I mean!!![img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

Bumper time!!! I've been waiting for this for a while!!!! Actually, I've been waiting for all of this for a while![img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

Cheers
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2017, 04:17 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Rear bumper going on too. Also, along with that are new tips and clamps. You'll notice a missing tail light. The driver's side is an NOS unit, and the passenger side I'm restoring. As a result, I'm waiting for the bezel to come back from the chrome shop. Once I have that I can mount it up!

Not much back here left to do!
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

More to come...

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2017, 04:19 PM

Thanked 3,757 Times in 1,593 Posts

----Dave,,,Only because I have never restored a Mopar, I'm wondering if the holes for the bucket seats are always done the way you have them. I'm so used to GM stuff with flaps covering the bolt heads.......Bill S
Old 01-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Bill....the holes for seats on Mopars, from what I've seen on the cars I've done, is really just a little slit and the stud is shoved through the opening. I wanted to make my life easier with the seat installation and precut the holes out. The seat tracks have 1/2&quot; thick plastic spacers that go underneath and get sandwiched between the track and the floor.

Top glue was Weldwood Landau Contact cement that Mike posted earlier. Or is that Wilwood? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] I always get those two confused....no wonder I can't come to a stop!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] Anywho, I spray the roof and let it dry real good. About 30mins. I then sprayed the underside of the top and let that dry the same. I then came back and sprayed another light coat on the roof and after a 10 minute set up (dried), I laid down the spare vinyl I had to prevent the top sticking until I wanted it to. I then folded the top over just a bit, and started to press the roof down while pulling out the old vinyl under it. All the while, stretching and pulling. It felt like an exercise video! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img] &quot;OK Girls, now pull and stretch, heat and pull, stretch and pull. Who wants a good looking top? Stretch (puff) and pull (huff-puff)...&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2017, 05:39 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,068 Times in 902 Posts

<span style="font-size: 26pt">OUTFREEKINSTANDING!</span>
Old 01-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

A few more random photos of randomness.....we all like photos!!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

The lower front splash shield that connect the front bumper to the lower radiator support took a trip to the blasting cabinet and as I was moving the gun across the face if it a part number came out and smacked me in the head like an Italian Grandmom telling her grandson to stop being such a schmuck![img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] Normally, I wipe all my parts down before blasting them. Wait...that didn't come out right...[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] What I mean was that I try and find these numbers before I deriddify the part of old paint and junk. Luckily, as soon as I saw it I stopped. Reflexes of an elephant, I tells ya!

So, of course, since nobody will see it (actually I think you can see this one) I'll replicate it and tell everyone the story of the &quot;lower splash shield part number&quot; that almost got away this November at MCACN. I'm telling you, you won't want to miss this show!
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2017, 01:37 AM

Beautiful.
My buddy had a guy that was an expert put his top on. The guy was getting ready to spray the glue on with a gun and my buddy said this is fresh paint shouldn't you cover it up. The guy said nope, I have done this for years and not a problem, I control where the glue goes. The guy did put some paper down around the edge to humor my friend. Buddy gets home and wonders what all the black spots were on his car. Yep, glue over spray that now had dirt stuck in it. He was not happy.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:29 AM

Nice work Dave. Keep up the good work!

Phil