Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Barrett Jackson COPO Camaro

If you think the ZL1 auction was pathetic to watch on TV talk about watching it in person. That was a dead stale mate at 200k when Reggie bid it up to the 300k area. Spanky was about to put the hammer down and Craig interferred saying "hold on!" as the car was still considered a "deal." Again I see a trend of buyers becoming more educated. 50% market value deduction for a rebody. Yenko Nova for 70k, the ZL1 for 300k. I like how the seller tried to sweeten the deal by including Yenko items. The one car that wasn't a rebody - the yellow car- brought market value for a Yenko Camaro/M40. I see no value in the rebody cars what so ever. Especially without the original components, you're paying a premium for what, the vin number?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

I think we can all officially agree that the B-J circus show has "jumped the shark."*

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark
Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 PM

LOST my reply, while copying below pics........ARGH!!!!!!!!!

Interested to read why this community refers to a created, mfg, cloned #27 ZL-1 69 Camaro as a rebodied Camaro.

#27 that everyone saw on T.V. Saturday night has only ONE born with assy line part, the VIN TAG. Each and every other part on that car was imported from another 69 Camaro or bought new (N.O.S.).

There must be other rebodied projects where some/much of the born with sheetmetal, trim powertrain, trim tag was transfered to another body shell.

Where do YOU draw the line on what is defined as rebodied and where do you start using the defintion of deceit and recreation ??????????

Most of the sheetmetal and trim of the #27 ZL-1 remains in Wash State to this day....my below multi colored car is now solid red. Not sure who owns car now, but people like Jim Bruns, and Dave Barcelon surely must.

70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"
Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 PM

I find it interesting that the silver deuce brought 100k. If a rebody is 50% less, then does that mean deuces are worth 200k? I'm not sure if deuce owners should be outraged, or happy.

I believe the P/L car should have gone through 1st. It had the solid pedigree. I too though it should have brought more.

Open question: How do you sell a car like the silver deuce for example,in a highly public forum, that is openly called a rebody. Where pictures exist, that show hidden vins have been welded/changed in the car, and not draw the attention of any state, or federal DOT enforcement people?
If changing vins to the extent that has happened here is a federal offense, where are the feds? And if you register, or title this car in your state, have you also not committed fraud?
If Howie's standin on the street corner sellin weed and the cop say's "what are you sellin", and Howie says "fine grade tobaco mixed with alfalfa, even though it's weed, well, that's one thing. But if he says, I'm sellin weed, I bet he gets arrested. What's the difference?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:48 PM

So the story goes like this... George Washington had an axe and he broke the handle...so he pulled out the little metal wedge from the top of the handle and removed the remaining piece of the handle...in the mean time he sent the axe head out to be sharpened but the guy sharpening the axe head ruined it by grinding it too much...so good old George, not thinking nothing about the future of his axe, went and found a used axe head that was already sharpened and bought a new handle and went and used that old " original wedge" to put it all back together again....so is it still the original axe???? I live in a historic town in Penna. very near where George once roamed...if I find this exact axe...what is it worth??
Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speed Commentator (Mike Joy) comments really got me....

"A rebody is kind of like George Washington's AX, it just got another handle-but is it still Geroge Washington's AX??"

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the craziest thing I heard til the voices in my head asked me; "If Mike Joy needed a colonostomy, could he still be called an axehole?"

Old 01-18-2009, 10:25 PM

I posted this on TC, but it applies to this thread too...

If you use that same "George Washington's axe" arguement, you should be able to use this analogy...

I am sure that most people have seen an episode or two of "Antiques Roadshow" or at least heard about someone that had a highly desireable piece of funiture or antique and when they brought it to an appraiser, they had either cleaned it up too much or sanded and refinished it. The appraiser always says that "in its original condition, it would have brought 'X' money, but since you cleaned/refinished it, it has been DEVALUED to 'X' money."

The same should apply to the cars (legal issues aside) if they are trying to make the comparison. A rebody should never be worth close to the price of the original article.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:25 PM

Ken, It must have something to do with the venue & hype. It kills me that a rebodied Deuce can pull 100+ comm when my 1 of 50, COPO #9738 Nova, with original Gibb Chev documents, can't hit that mark. I think the buyers leave their brains at home
Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 PM

RIGHT OUT THE BLOCKS B&L TRYED TO EXPALIN WHAT HAPPENED WITHT THE GREEN ZL/1 HIS EXPLAINTION WAS WHEN THE CAR WAS SO LOW THAT REGGIE SAID HE WOULD LIKE TO BID BUD IN ORDER TO DO SO HAD TO GO THE FLOOR TO BID. AND IN FACT REGGIE HAD OWNED THE CAR AT ONE TIME. TO ME IT SEEMS THE OTHER WAY AROUND LIKE THEY ASKED REGGIE TO GO DOWN AND HELP WITH THE BIDDING IN ORDER TO GET THE PRICE UP. LET NOT FORGET B&J MAKES MONEY ON EVERY CAR SOLD. SO IT IS BETTER FOR THEM IF THE CAR SELLS FOR MORE. I HAVE NO PORBLEM WITH A REBODIE AS LONG AS EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT IS UP. SO OF US WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO AFFORD A REAL ZL/1 AND THAT MIGHT BE THE CLOSEST WE EVER GET.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:11 PM

I have only attended one auction with a friend who happened to be very knowledgeable with how auctions work. It was fun to go there with him, but I don't think I would attempt participating without some prior instruction.

In regards to this car, it appears to me that this car is well known for having "issues". And this isn't the first car with issues that has been discussed here, or known to be suspect.

For my clarity and learning,are there any solutions/options (aside from the buyer doing their due diligence) to prevent this type of thing happening on a regular basis?

Elon