Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-05-2008, 06:13 PM

Thanked 1,382 Times in 671 Posts
Default Re: Chevrolet pulls the wraps off of the new Camaro

Well, I guess you don't ever know what will happen.

Maybe there will be another revolution in energy and we'll all have an opportunity to wrench on a whole other type of engine / vehicle.
John 10:30
Old 08-05-2008, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Chevrolet pulls the wraps off of the new Camar

Well, I thought the Challenger had it all over the Camaro, but the Camaro has really grown on me and I think it is sharp. It won't be the hottest car on the street, but that doesn't matter to me.
The Challenger lost me when I saw one in person. WAAAY to slab sided - the photos flattered - it is just not right in person.

www.Z16Chevelle.com
Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM

LatebreakU2,

The ZR-1 isn't even todays HP champ my Supersnake is at 725 HP and runs the quarter at 11.30 at 131 MPH same as the Vette. Of course the Vette is vastly superior on a road course but also can't fit all my kids for an ice cream run either? Shelby has stated he will win this era's HP wars and has a 1000 HP engine on the dyno getting ready for cerification right now if GM or the euro builders make it necessary. The new ZR-1 appears to be perhaps the worlds best supercar but as it stands now Ford looks like it will win this era's MUSCLECAR HP war? Muscle car in that it fits a family all week and can be used at the strip on weekends.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

Big difference between Shelby tweeking a Ford product and Chevrolet building one from the factory. I'm sure Callaway or Lingenfelter could also tweek up a ZR1 if they wanted to.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The ZR-1 isn't even todays HP champ my Supersnake is at 725 HP and runs the quarter at 11.30 at 131 MPH same as the Vette.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who's friggin' numbers are those? The later Z06 'Vettes go deeeeep 11s in factory street trim (I've been in the other lane too many times!), and there's even a guy over at the Corvette Forum who whittled his ets down to 10s on the stock 'Vette tires...the proposed ZR1 would WALK your beloved Supersnake in every category except for the ever important "luggace capacity" column...the Snake may have a bigger decal, but the new ZR-1 will be holding the white et slip (read: winner) at the end of the day! As the racers say, "you ain't gotta tune weight"!!

BTW: you could simply throw a pulley on the ZR-1 and probably eclipse the 750hp mark...
Old 08-05-2008, 11:12 PM

I was hoping Chevy would be smart enough to release it for the camaro's 40th anniversary. The final model doesn't look as attractive as the concept. The rims look aweful, there is too much wheel well space. Shoot they were better off taking a 69 shell and adding modern day gadgets. But then again I could do the same thing with my '69 camaro
Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 PM

Charley,
You are absolutely correct anyone can take anything and tweak it in the aftermarket world. But what Shelby offers besides a 40 year history of having Ford deliver Mustangs to his shop for conversions is the option of being able to walk into any Ford dealership and buy a Shelby Mustang off the showroom floor with a warranty in the case of the 600 HP Supersnake package and drive it home. This option and the Shelby mystique offer a lot of residual value that Lingenfelter and Callaway don't IMHO. To me if I can buy it off the showroom floor with a warranty at 600 HP backed by Ford that is close to the factory for me? In fact your Supersnake was a Mustang delivered to CA and converted into a Supersnake and then warrantied by Ford?

By the way Charly speaking of Supersnakes I have heard through my Ford guy insider club a flurry of rumors of a possible secret Supersnake sale/trade? Care to shed some light? Confirm or deny the Ford guy insider rumors? is the Ford guy insider club whirling away with baseless rumors or is there some fire where there is smoke? Enquiring minds want to know
Old 08-06-2008, 12:25 AM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

You keep touting a 600 HP SuperSnake with a Warranty. My understanding is the ZR1 will be 638 hp with a warranty. Your orig claim was in regards to the 725 hp SuperSnake option that Shelby will do but there is no warranty.
Yes I believe my SuperSnake is going to a new home. I was going to do a deal with you but you got rid of my wagon.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 AM

Notice that there is no mention of the Z28 yet. Last I heard there were going to be 3 engines available which would be the v6, SS base v8 and Z28 option v8. I'm guessing, but I bet they wait and release the Z28 later on with 500-550 hp. They want to get some of the lower performance versions on the road first. That's my guess.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 AM

Its official the legendary Supersnake has a new home!!!!!! I wish I had the dough to buy it. Wagon went back to Jim Cunningham who maintained it all those years for the second owner it went to a great home Jim will take very good care of it.

ZR-1 will be the worlds best supercar for any price IMHO. But I can't stick my kids in the Vette to take them and their friends out for ice cream or a ride. I think your talking about apples and oranges comparing the Mustang to the Vette. One is a muscle car the other a world class sports car I think? All I said was that Ford is winning this era's Muscle car wars. I fully agree Chevy's ZR-1 will be the the Sports car HP champ unless Dodge bumps up the HP on the Viper?

Why don't you explain why Chevy put a 422 HP motor in what may be the best looking car ever to come out of Detroit? You have all the Chevy factory insider information what the heck happened to Lutz he lose his nutz?