Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Buick

Old 03-12-2016, 01:18 PM

Default Passing the reins to our Grandson

Our Grandson is old enough to start driving our old Regal. In this picture, his father is installing new tires.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry T Car Wash.jpg m_IMG_6481.jpg m_IMG_5786.jpg m_IMG_5785.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-13-2016, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Passing the reins to our Grandson

3rd generation Dykstra.....very cool :-)

Hope you are munching on those yummy home made Chocolate Chip Cookies [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Postsedan For This Useful Post:
dykstra (12-05-2023), RPOLS3 (11-30-2023)
Old 03-13-2016, 09:35 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postsedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3rd generation Dykstra.....very cool :-)

Hope you are munching on those yummy home made Chocolate Chip Cookies [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Dan </div></div>

Those cookies were REALLY good! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xplantdad For This Useful Post:
dykstra (12-08-2023), RPOLS3 (11-30-2023)
Old 03-14-2016, 01:37 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,694 Times in 728 Posts

So, yes - the newest Jake has expressed an interest in driving a muscle car this summer. A little back ground on the car - a 1987 Regal Turbo T-Type. Dad bought it brand new in 1987 and was his daily driver for around 10 years. Like all of his daily drivers it was very well maintained. It also saw regular duty at the drag strip over the years, clicking off consistent mid 13 second passes with very minor mods (chip and trans kit). When my brother and I were in High School we regularly enjoyed driving it and both have many fond memories of fun evenings on the street with it. Fast forward a few more years and Dad relegated the car to sitting in the garage with only occasional drives. My brother and I said the car had too many memories to sell it and Dad did not want to store it any longer so it ended up in my garage with the stipulation that my son could drive it when the time was right. All the time it was in our garage we made it a point to drive it every summer and put enough miles on it to burn through a tank of gas. In addition it was still maintained with regular cleanings and fluid maintenance. Last summer he was able to drive it for the first time with his learners permit and immediately was hooked. He turned 16 last fall and over the winter asked about the possibility of driving the Regal next summer when the weather was nicer (he has a daily driver of his own). He has been taking auto shop class this semester and it has piqued his interest in cars beyond attending shows with Dad and Grandpa. Needless to say I was excited that he was interested.

The Regal had 25+ year old tires on it, so the first order of business was to take care of those.

After a quick call to Rusty (Smallhurst) we had a set of the reproduction Eagle GT's. Rusty was great to deal with and we had the tires in short order.

On Saturday I loaded up the old ones and headed over to a friends shop. We had a spare set of almost NOS wheels so I decided to mount the new tires on the newer wheels. I was hoping to be able to have Jake help with this process so he could learn, but he was out of town on a school DECA trip and baseball season starts this week, and we had a timeline we were trying to keep so I did this part on my own.

New tires on newer wheels - happy so far.

Dykstra Motorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RPOLS3 For This Useful Post:
dykstra (12-05-2023)
Old 03-14-2016, 01:43 PM

So the next step was to complete some maintenance items like an oil and filter change, chassis lube, fuel filter change, replace the power steering and brake fluid, all before the new wheels and tires were re-installed. This was last nights project.

Lots of opportunities for him to learn.

Here is the finished product.

We have not driven it with the new setup yet but plan on taking it out over the Easter weekend. We have to move cars around and switch positions in the garage with the Chevelle so it can be taken in and out easier. Updates to follow.

Dykstra Motorsports
dykstra (12-05-2023)
Old 03-14-2016, 05:11 PM

For those that are familiar with and driven these cars they can be great fun, but also be a handful for the uninitiated.

In preparation for that we went to the Road America Teen Driving School last summer.

I would highly recommend that course for teens as it deals with vehicle dynamics in a very practical way and puts kids behind the wheel in situations where they can experience it.

In addition there will be several one on one sessions coming up that explain how the boost affects the way the car reacts to your right foot.

Dykstra Motorsports
dykstra (12-05-2023)
Old 03-14-2016, 05:33 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,058 Times in 900 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RPOLS3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those that are familiar with and driven these cars they can be great fun, but also be a handful for the uninitiated.

In preparation for that we went to the Road America Teen Driving School last summer.

I would highly recommend that course for teens as it deals with vehicle dynamics in a very practical way and puts kids behind the wheel in situations where they can experience it.

In addition there will be several one on one sessions coming up that explain how the boost affects the way the car reacts to your right foot. </div></div>

Great story guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to napa68 For This Useful Post:
dykstra (12-05-2023)
Old 03-14-2016, 05:42 PM

I agree with that 110% ... I own an 85 with an 87 motor. when I worked for a small shop back east we had picked up an 89 TTA 20th aniv. for those that know these cars had a slightly better breathing LC2 3.8 liter turbo. I made a right turn as it spooled up and needless to say the thing went into hyper fishtail mode for 100 feet.
dykstra (12-05-2023), RPOLS3 (11-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2016, 01:12 AM

Update on things........

Before our annual Good Friday trip this year to Mom and Dad's we did some more work.

The car had some high performance &quot;Day 2&quot; spark plug wires. In addition to being almost 30 years old they were red and stuck out like a sore thumb on an otherwise mostly stock under hood setup, so a new set of replacement AC Delco wires were ordered. They showed up Friday morning and I figured we could try and get them on before we left. Since the wires were going to be replaced I thought it would be a good idea to replace the spark plugs too. Back in the day Dad bought spares of almost everything so there were some new AC Delco plugs in the parts bins and those went in along with the new wires in time for us to leave and take the car with all of the improvements on its 2016 first run. It ran very well and everything worked perfectly on the 110 mile round trip.

These cars have flexible soft plastic/rubber bumper filler inserts and over time they start to decay and literally fall apart when touched. We first noticed this several years ago and chose to leave the originals in place. The drivers rear side is getting really bad and needs to be replaced - it can't be justified as survivor quality any longer since 2/3 of it is missing. The other 3 sides are not too far behind. I noticed the Parts Place sells the pliable reproductions and coincidently I had a meeting on a project we are finishing up about 5 miles from there. I stopped in and they had a set of fronts and rears in stock so they came home with me. Now to get them painted with the correct flexible additive and then installed on the car. Hopefully they fit well.

Stay tuned....

Dykstra Motorsports
dykstra (12-05-2023)
Old 03-29-2016, 01:16 AM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

You go...Jake(s)! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]
The Following User Says Thank You to Xplantdad For This Useful Post:
RPOLS3 (12-05-2023)