Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 01-20-2021, 08:14 PM

Hey, again, Steve!

You know me. “Mr. Dogged Determination.” (Woof!) I looked at the photos of the carrier assembly again, and, in the FWIW Dept., it looks like there MAY be a Casting Date Code Pad immediately below the horizontal casting rib, and, above the “81489” in the p.n. 2881489 on the side. Does that appear to be true, and, if so, is there anything distinguishable on it?

…And, regarding that “C” in my 2 immediately previous posts, I probably shoulda’ said, “It doesn’t seem like it should be a “C,” however if it is, the Alpha Date Code for C = March, is the more likely, rather than the Alpha Date Code C = December,” ‘cause, in light of conventional/typical Chrysler Corp. date coding trends, I should have gone with the less unconventional, rather than the truly unconventional! (Doh!)

Last edited by CTBob; 01-20-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:00 PM

Hello, all!

Also, FWIW, I’m basing my information upon the numerous pieces of original Chrysler Corp. literature which I have acquired over the years, my own research/experience with my personal vehicles, that from having assisted NJSteve with the restoration process of a number of the stellar vehicles which he brought back to life (my acronym for all of the "automotive art" which he resuscitated being M.O.P.A.R.s.” (Multiplicity Of Precious Auto Restoration successes)), and tons of research for my own cars (including over 3,500+ hours of research time in the restoration of my current ’71 Charger), which included many helpful conversations, for which I am very grateful, with Roger Gibson, Frank Badalson, Galen Govier, John Grinwald, David Wise, Terry McCann, and, tens-upon-tens more of the absolutely wonderful people in the MoPar community! (Steve’s mentioning Terry, owner of the In Violet 340 ‘Cuda, reminded me of something one of the great Canadian guys (of whom Terry is one) said while we were all hangin’ out “bench racing” & swapping stories in the evening at that ’85 MoPar Nats, which I remember as if it was yesterday. With a laugh & a smile, he said, “Here! Have a Molson! Good one, eh? Not like that cheap American stuff!”

From all of my pre-easy-access-to-the-internet days, I learned so much by talking with friends in the hobby, following connections, and, making phone calls, which resulted in my locating hundreds of correctly date-coded (now rare) NOS parts, as well as gathering information in the process, for my restoration project. Having often located stuff through relentless searching, sometimes I’m astonished, in comparison, about how little I find on the net; amongst the vast plethora of info out there. I, also, find that there is a lot of misinformation, so the last thing which I want to do is be the purveyor of something which is wrong. If you have a question about a comment I made, please don’t hesitate to comment on it, or, ask me about it

Someone who I CAN definitely recommend as a reliable source is David Wise of MMC Detroit. I have several of his amazing books. He’s totally dedicated to date code detail/accuracy, and, extensively identifying even the most obscure fasteners & hardware, and, so much more. I just looked on the net, and, although I hadn’t previously checked, I found a good “Understanding Production Date Codes” page on his site. Here’s the link.
https://www.mmcdetroit.com/Understanding_Date_Codes/

I hope this may prove helpful!
Old 01-20-2021, 11:13 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBob View Post
Hey, again, Steve!

You know me. “Mr. Dogged Determination.” (Woof!) I looked at the photos of the carrier assembly again, and, in the FWIW Dept., it looks like there MAY be a Casting Date Code Pad immediately below the horizontal casting rib, and, above the “81489” in the p.n. 2881489 on the side. Does that appear to be true, and, if so, is there anything distinguishable on it?
I rechecked and it's smooth there. No other numbers.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
CTBob (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 04:52 PM

Thanks, Steve!

I was hopeful that what I noticed in that area in your photo of the post-hot-tanked carrier (which you included in Post #912, p. 92) was another potential date pad (rather than just the mottled appearance of the cast iron, following the cleaning process). In that photo, the area above the 9 (in "489") gave the appearance of a telltale screw head in the casting, however, maybe not so much IRL. Ah, well…
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2021, 07:28 PM

Nope, nothing there, just fresh cast metal. Maybe it's like that image of the monkey face on Mars! When you get close enough, it's just a pile of rocks from an extinct volcanic mesa.
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 01-21-2021 at 07:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 09:57 PM

Got it!
Old 01-22-2021, 07:04 PM

Thanked 1,022 Times in 414 Posts

The Motor Wheel Spyders look good on there.

Last edited by 1967Z28; 01-28-2021 at 03:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:09 PM

FINALLY got her registered and titled today and got my "QQ" historic vehicle plates. It took four attempts over eight months to get an appointment at the local DMV in Joysey. That's six months after they finally reopened. They kept closing the site for Covid-infected employees. Each time I'd make an appointment a month out, I'd get a cancellation email a day or two before. I even scheduled backup dates..and they got cancelled.

I got done at the previously scheduled lunchtime appointment this morning. Got it all transacted and paid by check. I got home and I noticed they had just sent me a text and an email cancelling my appointment just 15 minutes after I had completed it! i guess I escaped just under the wire before they closed again for another two+ weeks.

In New Jersey there are only a couple DMV's that are doing the out-of-state car titling (and historic tags issued). It's like a Three-Card-Monty game of trying to get an appointment and actually have the place stay open long enough to get your plates!

I WON!

(BTW, I must be on a winning streak, I also won $14 in the billion dollar megamillions drawing Saturday, with 3 of the 6 numbers!)

Last edited by njsteve; 01-26-2021 at 07:19 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
olredalert (01-26-2021), Xplantdad (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post

(BTW, I must be on a winning streak, I also won $14 in the billion dollar megamillions drawing Saturday, with 3 of the 6 numbers!)...
Hey I won $4!! I'm gonna retire!!!
Old 01-27-2021, 03:35 PM

Great news, Steve! Wow! Talk about a rigamarole! Glad that things worked out, so you could claim a victory, rather than another un-fun (not to mention frustrating) setback!