Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 12-17-2013, 04:54 PM

Default Re: My Truck's engine blew on the way to MCACN...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the Suburban got remodeled in 2000 was when they dropped the diesel engine option. It had nothing to do with heat (that sounds like a typical salesman response, though [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] ) It was about the new Duramax 6.6 and Allison transmission not fitting the floorboard architecture of the new Suburbans.

The 6.5 Detroit Diesel in my truck used the 4L80E heavy duty 4 speed trans. </div></div>
The Dmax/Ally fits fine, it's the intercooler that is the issue...it's a popular swap among GM/Duramax enthusiasts, and most simply go with a 2 inch &quot;reverse rake&quot; body lift for the extra intercooler clearance or a few have gone with a custom shorter intercooler, but the engine/trans will clear, and everything bolts/wires up pretty straight forward [good thing about the GMs]...DuraBurb converts several a year, as do several guys over at Dieselplace. There's finally starting to be a few guys using the Dmax/4L85e combo out of the vans, which I always thought would be the way to go for a Suburban anyway...still plenty of hp/tq but better economy because of the more conservative tune and less hp robbing trans...the 8.1L/4l85e was a good combo in the Suburban minus the fuel mileage, but the Dmax would help that.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 PM

Steve,

Glad to hear it was a lighter hit to the wallet than you originally thought.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Steve,

This is awesome news. It sounds like you are happy you went with the shop that you did. Piece of mind means a lot. If you devide this head gasket &quot;maintenance&quot; up over the life of the truck you are doing great.

I'm happy for you and ol blue,

Jason
Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 AM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

Yeah, the repair cost was only 10% of the original sticker price of the truck (before the 10% website coupon discount they gave me).
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2013, 08:46 PM

Steve, had you already moved your PMD out from under the intake? I relocated mine to the top side of the intake with a heat sink to get a little more life from the PMD but they still don't last forever. Glad your back on the road again. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif[/img]

Tommy [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]
Old 12-18-2013, 09:44 PM

Relocated it long ago. I actually have it mounted behind the front bumper, inside the air intake duct so it is getting cool air when the truck is moving.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:31 PM

BTW, anyone have a nice used rear bumper for a 1993-2000 Chevy/GMC truck? I just noticed mine has a rust hole starting near the tag light. A new GM piece is crazy expensive (PN 15025375) and everyone says the aftermarket ones are too thin and the mounting holes are wrong. A nice used one would be fine.

(I already ordered new floor mats as a Christmas present for the truck...) [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 PM

Aftermarkets are not to bad. i think the GM ones are around $350.00 but they fit real well.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:21 PM

Now that the truck has been reincarnated with the new head gaskets, I have been showering it with gifts. She does drive so much nicer now and gets better mileage, too!

I replaced the set of Interstate batteries the day before our temps fell to -7 degrees here, last week. When you own something so long you lose track of time. Turns out that the two batteries lasted 7-1/2 years and were only rated for 6 years. They definitely make a difference on a diesel, where you have to have two batteries due to the 20 to 1 compression ratio. she sure spins over fast and starts on the first crank, now.

I also upgraded to the 1997-2000 &quot;K47&quot; High Capacity air box which uses the giant tubular filter instead of the flat panel model air box on the earlier models. Since a diesel operates on an unmetered air supply, it needs all the air possible at all times. Only the fuel is metered. They also require cold air from the front end of the truck via the inner fender ducting, and no hot under-hood air.

Here is the original, restrictive, flat panel filter box found on the 1993-96 6.5 diesels:

I was able to find the correct K47 air box set up from a 1998 6.5 Diesel GMC 3500 dump truck in a local junkyard. The diesel K47 set up is a unique component and nothing interchanges with air boxes on the gas-engine trucks of that era. It cost me $40 which was a bargain since the air boxes normally trade in the $150 range.

Here is what it looks like:

The crazy looking 2&quot; tubing is just a noise reduction tube.

The big problem I ran into was that the unique piece of ABS plastic tubing that inserts into the air filter and mounts into the turbo rubber bellows was mangled beyond repair. It seems that whoever bought the turbo off that 1998 dump truck removed it with an axe instead of simply unscrewing the hose clamp that retained it. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/mad.gif[/img]

I did have to order the air box mounting bracket from GM. That piece cost me around $60. It is a rather unique piece and has two studs attached to it that lock into the two grommets that are in the bottom of the air box base (which BTW are discontinued from GM so I found two perfect replacement grommets for $2 in the hardware aisle at Lowes).

Got the air box installed today. I had to improvise a bit and it actually worked out better than finding the correct GM duct piece. I went to the plumping aisle at my local Lowes and bought a 90 degree, 3&quot; inner diameter, PVC elbow for $4. One end fit perfectly in the new air filter element. As for the turbo bellows end, in order to keep the positive battery cable bolt from rubbing on the &quot;new&quot; duct, I mounted one end of the elbow in a vice and used my heat gun to heat up. I was able to then squeeze one end into an oval to match the bellows and also clear the battery bolt. I imagine it also flows a helluva lot better than the original piece that necks down from a round 3&quot; intake to an oval 2&quot; wide exit.

Here is the final result:

Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 PM

BTW, for anyone looking for a &quot;K47&quot; High Capacity Air Box, I'll let you in on a secret... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

The only difference between the standard air box found on every 1997 to 2000 6.5 diesel and the extra cost, optional K47 was the paper element itself. All the plastic pieces were the same. If you paid the extra $50+ for the &quot;K47&quot; option back in the day, all you got was an extra-restrictive, air filter element with a foam outer cover recommended for hi-dust environments only. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]