Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-14-2001, 01:37 AM

Default Ertl/Racing Champions diecast question

As the Baldwin Motion diecast cars offered by Ertl/Racing Champions seem to be increasing in popularity, I would like to know if anyone here knows how best to "suggest" to Ertl that they should now produce the Baldwin Motion Super Vega. Does anyone here know anyone on the inside?... Does anyone in this forum have any contacts or influence at Ertl concerning new product ideas? *grin*

Anxious to hear your replies.

Ken
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-14-2001, 01:44 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Ertl/Racing Champions diecast question

For diecast, I deal with www.tommytoyz.com often and he has the usual ERTL contacts. He's big on musclecars.

BTW, ERTL just released a new Baldwin Motion 1970 Camaro. It's a Toys R Us exclusive. The ERTL # is 32810 and the TRU stock # is 206086. Here's a pic of it....

Old 01-14-2001, 01:59 AM

Thanks Dino, I'll get in contact with them and see what happens.

Btw, I checked out your website... wow! Very nice collection of Camaro stuff... Question: Where do you get your custom pieces to modify your diecast? (ie: wheels, L88 hoods, traction bars, etc.)

Ken
Old 01-14-2001, 02:09 AM

All the parts on the custom 1:18 Camaros came from other cars. Everything except the dog dish hubcaps came from mixing parts from the ERTL Camaros.

I forgot to mention on the new yellow BM Camaro that you can call Toys R Us at (877) 877-2822 and give them the TRU stock # (206086) and your zip code and they can tell you if the stores near you have any in stock.

Old 01-14-2001, 04:06 AM

I talked to the guy at supercar collectibles about Vegas, a Motion would be neat and also a Grumpys Toy car. Several other drag cars that I can think of too off of the same body. He didnt seem to think it would fly with the production that they need to make them. I dont know. I wouldnt think it would be out of the question down the road. If anyone is looking for die cast ertl stuff, I am a dealer also. I dont have many rare cars left, a few of the Motions, and Yenkos though.

[Edited by micky69396 (01-13-2001 at 11:06 PM).]
Old 01-14-2001, 04:27 AM

Mickey, is there any way for the "average Joe" to contact Ertl or supercar collectibles to request something like this? (phone #?... email address?...new-product suggestion hotline?... *grin*) I'm just trying to see if there is a way to gather the troops and inundate the powers-that-be with requests to see if it changes their minds. Any suggestions? (who was your contact? Do you have to be a dealer to call him?)

Ken

Old 01-14-2001, 04:30 PM

The problem with the Vega is numbers. When Ertl makes a mold of a certain car(body style), they want to be able to use it many times. That is why there are so many different Camaros, Chevelles, etc. The basic mold is the same, just different paint/options. Tom
Old 01-15-2001, 05:16 AM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 486 Posts

One of the interesting facts on the Motion Phase III Vega is that it is one of, if not THE quickest, quarter mile street car ever sold to the public by a car dealership. It was advertised with a warrantee and GMAC financing as a 9 second street car! That is still quick by today's standards including turner V10 Vipers and duel turbo Corvettes.

Old 01-15-2001, 05:52 AM

Tom, thats basically what they told me also. Not enough numbers to use it.

Ken, I dont have the # in front of me now, but they arent too hard to find. If you cant find it let me know and I will get it. Anyone can order retail from them for cars.
Old 01-15-2001, 08:03 AM

I'd love to see these cars produced in scale also BUT am realistic. I'm still reeling at the fact that AMT (ERTL) did Mark Timken's Baldwin/Motion '70 Camaro in 1/25th scale! I friggin love it! Apparently the non-RS Z-28 is coming next. As for the Vega...hmmm..from a supercar standpoint it wouldn't be a bad idea...Contact Peachstate at:
http://www.peachgmp.com/ They took a vote online an are currently casting some 1/18 die-casts from the results. Had the Vega contingent been higher, ...who knows...the variants are there: Motion, Cosworth, Yenko, hell, I even have a write up on a Gibb Vega.
You never know!
-Mark