Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-06-2014, 02:56 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,173 Posts
Default Maybe a new home. 9 car gagage plus workshop.

After painting my Z/28 in the garage last year, I told Sherri that is the last car I am painting in an attached garage. We have been looking at building a workshop, but there are issues. See below. We have looked off and on for four years for the perfect property. I originally envisioned a large workshop on the property. However, I think what we sow today actually makes more sense. I wouldn't be getting dust from projects on the finished cars.

It is in an historic city just north of us. Instead of a 12 min. commute to the office, it would be 25 min.

As far as working on stuff, all I am going to be doing is working on cars, mostly restoration and resto mod stuff. I don't need to park an RV size truck anywhere. I don't want a full blown machine shop.

So... think I could be happy with a nine car garage, climate controlled with its own bath and shower? It has 10 foot ceilings, so I could still put in a couple of four post lifts and double park the little cars. The workshop is only 24 x 24 (detached, but just feet from the main garage) but I can easily raise the roof of the workshop (cinder block walls) to accommodate a 12 foot high 2 post lift and can accommodate two vehicles with a modest amount of workbench space, tools etc. there is already a closet in the 9 car garage for a compressor, so I would just plumb between the two buildings. I think I would need to keep the sandblast cabinet, the parts washer and miscellaneous other things in the 9 car garage, which is just a few feet away. That way, I can maximize my space in the 24 x 24. Besides, I would have to go over to the big garage to pee anyway! No bathroom in the workshop. It is an historic building that has already been converted to living space. Has a huge game room that will accommodate my 8 foot pool table. Even my mammoth dining room table fits. It also has about 600 foot of office space that we could use if I decided to move my law office there. Until that day comes, it is just climate controlled storage. For now, I am planning to keep the office where it is and commute. Only takes 25 min. each way.

What do you think? As long as I am only working on one car at a time, how bad can it be? Mind you, I can fit two in the 24 x 24 if need be, which would work well when making one cool car out of two. After all, Sherri would like a classic Corvette body with modern drivetrain and suspension. It is the least I can do for her considering what she means to me.

No other serious issues with the property. Needs a few little things. We would change the kitchen countertops and put another sink in the master, but I think you get the picture. Little stuff. Sherri loves it, and it would work well for us. After we sell our house, we can write a check for the property and have plenty left over for any unforeseen improvements that pop up.

I am having serious issues getting my dream shop built here on our present 2.5 acres. I want to locate it right at the border of within 30 feet of a gas pipeline. I thought that was the restriction. But after reading it, the easement states we can't build a permanent structure within 50 feet. Just can't make it happen. Even if I could get it done, it looks like 28 x 32 is as big as I can go. And, it will be relatively expensive, because it must match the house, brick, windows, roof pitch and all. We can go on the back of the property, but then getting utilities to it is a giant pain. And it still has to match the house (hoa restriction). And I would have to do megabucks worth or concrete work getting a drive to it.

Let me know what you think. I value input from you guys.
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-06-2014, 11:02 AM

Thanked 1,118 Times in 329 Posts
Default Re: Maybe a new home. 9 car gagage plus workshop.

Sounds like a great plan! The only suggestions that I would make are
1. I'd keep the blast cabinet away from the finished cars - that blast media has a habit of finding its way everywhere.
2. If you can - I'd keep the compressor noise away from the show room. Also, closer to where the compressed air is going to be needed in the work shop.

Exciting project - post pictures!!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:23 PM

Thanks Bruce. Don't know if I would call it a showroom. I don't have quite the collection that some of you guys have. It is also where we would park our daily drivers. You are probably right on both counts. Just did some checking and the width of the small shop is actually 28 instead of 25, so that would help to accommodate the blast cabinet on one side. I may end up moving the compressor over there, but like I said, there is one in a large utility closet already, so may give it a go. Mine is an old Dayton 5hp with an 80 gallon tank, so it has quite a foot print. I'll lay out some arrangements to scale on paper and see what kind of room I have.

As an aside, I sold the 3 phase motor that was on the Dayton and installed a single phase motor. Of course, the "new" place (haven't made a deal yet) has 3 phase to the building.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:34 AM

not big enough...i moved into a 50 by 120 shop..in 3 years ive out grown it...4 doors arent enough either a couple more doors would make it easier
Old 07-07-2014, 02:40 AM

I hear you on that. One of my friends has a 60 x 60. He does a lot of work in there, but it is crowded.
He told me to go 100 x 60 because I am a bit of a "tool whore". Imagine.

I really like the idea of not having any finished cars in my work area.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 PM

&quot;Tool Whore&quot;.... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/laugh.gif[/img]

Yep, I'm guilty of that one too!! Garage is barely big enough for my tools... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img]

BIG
Old 07-15-2014, 02:02 AM

Well we put an offer on the table. Will see how it goes.

We are really fine either way, so no huge anxiety. If this one doesn't work out, we will build a shop here on our acreage. It would just be nice to be that much closer to such a nice layout.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:00 AM

We have a contingency contract on the new place. Ours goes on the market Aug 15. We are really excited.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:51 PM

Thanked 1,513 Times in 726 Posts

Best of luck, Lynn!

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 07-28-2014, 09:08 PM

Thanks Bill. We are working like crazy to get our place show ready. Hoping for a quick sale.