Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-01-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS View Post
My 69 is a 13437 VIN thus a 300 Deluxe Sport Coupe. (And yes I spend a lot of time saying not all 300s are post cars)

Baltimore late build, 07D with L on the tag. 350hp 4 speed.

The coolest part of it to me is the two tone with painted top. Olympic Gold and Dover White. All born with sheet metal. Frame off a few years ago.

As near as I can calculate and guess, there might have been around 281 two tone 300 Sport Coupes. Figured this way; 5620 total 300 Sports Coupes. Total two tones for ALL Chevelles was 5%. (Not distinguished between the available two tone color combinations)

So if I say 5% of 300 SCs were also two tone that is 281 units. Then I assume the lower trim level 300 might not get the love of fancy color schemes so maybe the 5% is too high if applied just to this model. Finally the 65/50 scheme vs other? Would be fun to know approx how many are out there.

Any better data out there that might support this hypothesis?
Well, yes.

The 5% number (no idea if that's accurate or not) applies to the total number of eligible Chevelles with this option.

While it's been a long time since I've taken Statistics (and I took the class twice for reasons that will remain buried in time), I do know that you cannot take a percentage from a population and apply it to a sample. For all I know, the terminology I'm using isn't quite accurate, but the crux is there--it's statistically wrong what you're attempting to do. With your method, you're assuming all body styles received the two-tone treatment equally, of which there is no evidence.

So what's the "better data" that I have?

5,057 Chevelles were built in the gold and white two-tone combo per the GM Heritage Center. Beyond that, anything else is speculation that will just lead to misinformation.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:17 PM

A couple years ago i sold my '69 SS396 300 Deluxe sport coupe. It was a numbers matching 396/325 turbo 400. Car was painted red when I bought it and I added a black vinyl top as it already had the top trim. It was originally Burnished Brown with a Champagne painted roof. Black bench interior with the rubber floor mat. It was a nice rust free original sheetmetal car with 110,000 original miles. I was the 3rd owner. Probably should've kept it.