Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 05-14-2004, 03:00 AM

Default Re: It's HEMI time !!! Compliments of NJSteve

About time you guys started commenting on these Member Ride cars !! I was starting to think you were all bashful out there !!! These are some cool rides and I appreciate those that are taking the time to send me pics and paragraphs.....which by the way I can use a few more..can't someone sign up those Studebaker guys ? I want to see those things !!!..we also need you Supercar Owners to get out there and send your Supercar pics and article to Chevy454 here on the site so we can have a few of those ready to go too....
Old 05-14-2004, 05:53 AM

427 or 426, got to love them both! i have acquired a mix! 2 hemi cuda's and a 3rd on the way, oh BTW, i am not out of yenko's, more of both soon to come! Variety is a spice of life!
Old 05-15-2004, 05:40 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Charley. Steve's wheels are the original one-piece cast aluminum type. His also have the original hex-shaped center caps. The current "200S" wheels have a stamped steel rim and cast centers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very observant of you Those are 1970 dated wheels with the 1970 twin, half-circle, logo center caps. American racing changed to a different logo in 1971. I recently picked up a set of NOS center caps from AKH Wheels for about $20 apiece. I always thought the logo colors were black and silver. It turns out mine had faded over the years from the original red and royal blue!
Old 05-17-2004, 04:35 AM

Yeah, I've been crazy about those wheels for years. In the mid-70s a guy on my paper route had a '70 Boss 302 that had American 200S wheels, 15x7 front, 15x8 back. He ran the original Radial T/A 50s that said "Radial T/A 50" on the sidewall and it had a mean rake. The car had the look of the Bud Moore Trans Am racers. I'd always stop and gawk at that car and especially the wheels. That's how I learned to ID them, sitting on the sidewalk at 13 years old and staring at that Boss parked at the curb.

Oh, and when I first saw the Musclecar Color History book on the Hemi with your '70 on the cover with those wheels I flipped. Yep, bought the book on the spot.

I still think you should have a set of 'Dick Landy' skinny Cragars to swap on once in a while... Perhaps some NOS 7-9" slicks out back?

Old 05-19-2004, 12:55 AM

Super sweet Charger (my second favorite car) and even better stories. I could read those kind of stories all day long, and they are even better with a good ending
Old 05-19-2004, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I still think you should have a set of 'Dick Landy' skinny Cragars to swap on once in a while... Perhaps some NOS 7-9" slicks out back?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check out the original photo attachment showing the car when I first laid eyes on it, it has the very Cragers you're talking about. Unfortunately they were too rusty to reuse and I gave them away. It did look really evil with the skinnies up front and the big Firestones in the rear. At the time it also had tow tabs welded on the front bumper brackets.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:38 AM

BEAUTIFUL car and great story Steve!

I'll think of you every time I wear this (see attachment)

Rita
Attached Images

RIP COPO PETE!
</span> </span>
Old 06-05-2004, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BEAUTIFUL car and great story Steve!

I'll think of you every time I wear this

-Actually, I 'd prefer it if you thought of me when you weren't wearing it!!!

P.S. The Charger was shot for Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine two weeks ago thursday. On friday I pullled the engine out to freshen up the gaskets on the motor (old oil pan leak) and replace the aging freeze plugs that you can't reach with the engine in the car, etc. And in the typical "if you give a mouse a cookie" theory, I then decided to have the engine compartment reshot which lead to the block sanding of the entire car for a new coat of E5 red in original style single stage paint. Right now the car is at PRC restorations (the same guy, Rich who did the body on my Z11). Maybe he can post a photo of how it looks at the moment. Here's the motor up on blocks...
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2004, 09:05 PM

Hey Steve, since you're freshening up the car I think now's a good time to swap on a set of "Dick Landy" Cragar S/S's. Skinnies in front with tall front runners and 7-inchers in back with tires similar in size to circa-1970 slicks.

Old 06-06-2004, 04:19 AM

You mean these? I thought I threw them out years ago but I found them last weekend at my parent's house up in the rack with the old studded snow tires. They are the original 1970 casting date, 15 x 4-1/2 front rims that owner #1 put on in Jan 1970 (as shown in the earlier photo I posted.) Does anyone know if the currently available Cragers are any different than the old ones? I cant see spending big bucks rechroming these if I can still get the same style versions now. I also don't know if I'd trust them to be safe to drive on anyway. From the Crager website they do still offer the 15 x 4-1/2 size rims.
Attached Images